Wrestling and Football

navy80

That first quote isnt terrible...its actually factual...but that should be the kids decision to focus entirely on wrestling not the parents but to say that football doesnt help wrestlers is just absurd...

I didn't say football doesn't help wrestling.... I said it doesn't help wrestling the way wrestling helps wrestling. Football is better for wrestling than twinkies and tv. My son doesn't entirely focus on wrestling ... he was a regional qualifier in track, also runs cross country. He played every sport in middle school except baseball. I don't leave all decisions to my kids. I frame their choices. What do YOU want to be best at? What do you want most.... to participate in many things or to be really good at one or two? He has had a lot choices when it came to sports. In a small school if you are athletic you can do everything on the varsity teams. He was literately going to be allowed to play baseball and run track at the same time time.. dividing practices and games with meets. And that's what he wanted to do. As a single parent, with a single income, that's entirely too expensive in time and money. So I decided.... yes me.... that he had to pick one. Any problem with that? Or should that be entirely up to the CHILD?  I personally feel two full contact sports back to back is not beneficial. Risks go way up.... and kids don't think about risks, or feel susceptible to them. But they are there. And explain to where football helps wrestling? And don't say the weight room... that's not football that's weight lifting. Every sport spends time there now. Tackling doesn't do anything that working on shots for two weeks won't teach em. Running the ball behind a blocker? Throwing catching or kicking? Possibly some blocking drills might but wrestling probably helps that more in reverse. I am not sure where football is that helpful in any other sport more than the reverse... unless they don't translate at all with one another... like swimming and golf. None the less... HS football was out. My choice. No regrets about it either. When you are beyond your 25 years and have teens.. you can decide to not not make any decisions for them. But I bet you will. :) It may not be the same as mine, but you will be making lots and lots of 'em. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am fanatical..

but...

well......

da bomb??  like da bears?? like da brat??

these quotes......

ummm....well..... whatever...... I even left out the idiot quotes!

Da bomb.... like da hypocritical fanatic.

Do you think kids aren't idiots? You obviously are the only one here who took offense to that one. I am sure there are not too many parents of teens who, in context, don't know what I mean. Texting, til 3am before a test. Facebook fights, lying to our faces, a zillion idiotic things they do and choices they make. Think a HS would run well by kid rule and the decisions they would make?

But let me put it another way... less offensive to you.

Do to the fact that a teenage child lacks life experience, fully developed analytical and emotion development, the ability to fully conceptualize time beyond the here and now, the ability to empathize more fully with others than themselves among other more adult qualities, and couple that with peer pressure, hormonal changes, selfishness ... the teenage child lacks the ability to come to well reasoned decisions with the consistency needed to fully function independently and without supervision.

The word idiot comes to mind when describing this state of being.... although not in the historical literal sense.  The word is commonly used by a parent in exasperation in phrases such as.... "Are you an idiot?" Or, "I didn't raise you to be an idiot." Or, "That's the most idiotic thing you have ever done!" 

I am sure the older crowd of adults here pretty much know what I mean.... :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.