Wrestling and Football

navy80

I knew it was too much to ask people to read about brain injuries caused by a sport some of you guys coach to youth players and have kids playing.  You guys are right, I was really out there on that one and apologize for that.  I played and wasn't injured so that should be good enough I guess.  You shouldn't read or think about stuff like that - it's a waste of time.  I think I get it now - won't happen to your kid anyway if they don't head hunt and use proper technique.  Makes perfect sense. 

Wait, how did those 4,500 former NFL players with brain injuries and dimentia get $765 million when it was their fault for head hunting and not using proper technique?  And too bad the NFL won't have to release their internal files on what they knew about brain injuries but lied about.  They just want to take care of those old NFL veterans who had really bad technique I guess.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000235494/article/settlement-reached-in-nfl-concussion-lawsuit

whatever helps you sleep at night man....better put your kids in a bubble though....I hear mrsa is making a comeback

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Interesting Topic.

I actually studied Neuroscience at Purdue alongside the faculty who did the research on this topic before getting into education and coaching. It is true that non-concussive hits can add up and cause differences in brain function at least in terms of how much glucose is burnt in certain areas of the hind, fore and midbrains, however there is no long term evidence of negative cognitive performance (every day thinking ability) from the participants at this point. I'd be interested to see a study done on the before and after effects on simple brain performance (e.g. memory tasks, simple math processes, etc;) before I'd make the sweeping statement that my child will never play football. I also see no percentages of subjects that had changes in brain function, just that 6 of them had actual concussions and all 6 suffered from changes. I'd like to see the numbers.

I do think it's just a matter of informed risk and I believe all the general is wanting everyone to see is that they are not truly informed currently. Just like before you can have a participant participate in a research study, they have to be informed of any risk, so should athletes because injury, brain damage, and other horrible travesties can occur. Currently, most people have very little knowledge about the risk of brain damage from football: it's higher than you think and good form tackling will NOT cure everything. There's always a "fun child" that's going to hit in the head no matter what and you can't help who your kids are playing against and some jarring hits that cause whip lash or kids to be shoved forcefully into the ground or another player can cause brain dysfunction over a long course of time. There really just needs to be more research done on the subject before I could know the actual dangers to children before college as the hits are not as forceful before everyone has a college football body and skill.

That being said, if you know the risks and your child knows the risks and wants to play anyways, far be it from me to try to stop you. It's an incredibly fun sport if you aren't afraid of physical contact and I'd never discourage anyone from playing it, but also wouldn't poke fun at someone concerned about the potential health hazards. They do exist.

Just my 2 cents!

Oh, and football and wrestling should be partners and working together to develop well balanced athletes. There are tons of benefits to doing both. The skills are highly transferable and at the school I work at, we've already seen benefits of increased wrestling practice for the football players and higher participation this summer.

SOME NFL PLAYERS THAT WRESTLED

Nick Leckey -  TX State Champ

Gregory Walker - State Finalist

Luis Castillo, DT, San Diego Chargers (First Round Pick)

Lincoln "Drew" Hodgdon, C, Houston Texans - CA St. Champ

Nick Hardwick- State Runner Up (Lawrence North HS)

Fred Weary, C, Houston Texans - AL State Champ

Coy Wire, SS, Buffalo Bills - PA State Champ

Kevin Breedlove - SC State Finalist

Kevin Sampson - NJ State Champ

Benjamin Claxton - GA State Finalist

Leon Robinson - GA State Runner-Up

Pick Roddy White, WR, Falcons - 2x SC St Champ

Eric Ghiaciuc, C, Cincinatti Bengals - MI State Champ

Adam Seward, ILB, Carolina Panthers - NV State Champ

Marques Harris - CO State Champ

Andrew "Tyler" Lenda - District Champ

Tim Anderson - OH State Champ

Matt Roth - IA State Champ

Mike Patterson, DT, Philadelphia Eagles (First Round Pick)

Tom Covert*, OT, Chicago Bears

Chris Cooley, WR, Washington Redskins

Roger Craig*, RB, San Francisco 49'ers

Damien Covington, LB, Buffalo Bills

Curley Culp*, DL, Kansas City Chiefs NCAA Champ

Larry Czonka, NFL Hall of Fame

Rob Davis, ST, Green Bay Packers

Dan Dierdorff**, OT, St. Louis Cardinals

Donnie Edwards, OLB, San Diego Chargers

Carl Edwards, San Diego Chargers 3x MD State Champ

Rob Essink, Seattle Seahawks NCAA DII Champ

Jim Everett, QB, New Orleans Saints

DeMarco Farr, St. Louis Rams

Doug France*, LT, Los Angeles Rams OH State Runner-Up

Frank Garcia, C, St. Louis Rams 2x AZ State Champ

William George, Chicago Bears 2x PA State Champ

Charlie Getty, RG, Kansas City Chiefs 2x NCAA All-American

Kevin Glover*, C, Detroit Lions

La'Roi Glover*, DE, Dallas Cowboys

Mike Goff, G, Cincinnati Bengals

Bob Golic*, DT, Cleveland Browns OH State Champ

Mike Golic, DE, Philadelphia Eagles

Kelly Gregg, NT, Baltimore Ravens, 3x KS State Champ

Archie Griffin, HB, Cincinnati Bengals

Nick Griesen, LB, New York Giants

Randy Grossman, TE, Pittsburgh Steelers

John Hannah**, G, New England Patriots

Carlton Haselrig*, Pittsburgh Steelers, 3x NCAA Champ

Chad Hennings, DT, Dallas Cowboys IA State Champ

Jay Hilgenberg*, C, Chicago Bears IA State Runner-Up

Orlando Huff, MLB, Seattle Seahawks

Corey Hulsy, G, Oakland Raiders

Bo Jackson*, RB, Oakland Raiders

Dahanie Jones, LB, New York Giants

John Jurkovich*, DT, Cleveland Browns

Alex Karras, Detroit Lions

Tim Krumrie*, DL, Cincinnati Bengals WI State Champ

Ernie Ladd, DL, Kansas City Chiefs

Nick Lecky, C, - KS State Champ (in 2004 NFL Draft)

Ray Lewis, Pro Bowl Linebacker for the Baltimore

Ravens, Florida 4A State Wrestling Champ 189 lbs       

Ronnie Lott**, DB, San Francisco 49'ers

Kirk Lowdermilk*, OL, Minnesota Vikings

Napolean McCallum, RB, Oakland Raiders

Randle McDaniel*, G, Minnesota Vikings

Bryant McKinnie, T. Minnesota Vikings

Randall McDaniel was a wrestler named to 12 NFL Pro Bowls

Matt Millen*, LB, Oakland Raiders

Ronald Moore, RB, Cleveland Browns

James Mungro, HB, Indianapolis Colts

Jim Nance, FB, New England Patriots NCAA Champ

Lorenzo Neal, FB, Tennessee Titans - NCAA Champ

Stephen Neal, OL, New England Patriots NCAA Champ

Chuck Noll, Pittsburgh Steelers PA State Champ

Leo Nomellini*, T, San Francisco 49'ers Big 10 Champ

Jonathan Ogden*, OT, Baltimore Ravens

Irv Pankey, Los Angeles Rams 2x MD State Champ

Jim Plunkett*, QB, Oakland Raiders

Mike Pyle, C, Chicago Bears IA State Champ

Eric Rhett, RB, Cleveland Browns FL State Champ

Willie Roaf*, OT, New Orleans Saints

Warren Sapp*, DT Tampa Bay Buccaneers FL State Champ

Mark Schlereth*, OL, Washington Redskins -Alaska St Champ

Cory Schlesinger, LB, Detroit Lions - NE State Champ

Steve Sefter, DT, Eagles, 2x PA State Champ &NCAA All-American

Tony Siragusa*, DT, Baltimore Ravens NJ State Champ

Warren Sapp -FL St Champion wrestler

Fred Smerlas*, Buffalo Bills - MA State Champ

Bruce Smith**, DE, Buffalo Bills

Matt Suhey, RB, Chicago Bears

Bill Szott, OL, Washington Redskins NJ State Champ

Dave Szott, Kansas City Chiefs NJ State Champ

Woody Thompson, RB, Atlanta Falcons PA State Champ

Jim Thorpe**, HB, New York Giants

Mike Trgovac, DC, Carolina Panthers OH State Champ

Kyle Turley*, T, St. Louis Rams

Ryan Turnbull, RB, Cleveland Browns

Tommy Vardell, RB, San Francisco 49'ers

Adam Vinatieri*, K, Indianapolis Colts

John Ward, OL, New York Jets NCAA All-American

Fred Weary, DB, St. Louis Rams

Charles White*, HB, Los Angeles Rams

Randy White*, DT, Dallas Cowboys

Cory Widmer, LB, New York Giants

Leo Wisniewski, NT, Indianapolis Colts - PA State Champ

Steve Wisniewski, G, Oakland Raiders - CA State Champ

Ricky Williams*, RB, Miami Dolphins

Coy Wire, LB, Buffalo Bills PA State Runner-Up

Greg Wojochowski, St. Louis Rams-Pro Bowl, Hall of Fame

Tim Burrough - OK State Champ

Antoineo Harris - IL State Champ

Scott Wells - TN State Champ

Alex Lewis - District Champ

Ronnie Brown, RB, Miami Dolphins (#2 Pick)

Josh Minkins - District Runner-up

Andrew Tidwell-Neal - MN State Champ

Patrick "Bucky" Babcock - IL State Champ

Art Baker, RB, Buffalo Bills

Rhonde Barber, SS, Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Tiki Barber, RB, New York Giants

Walter Barnes, DL, Washington Redskins - SEC Champ

Eric Bateman, OL, New York Jets

Brad Benson, New York Giants PA State Champ

Personally I am not a fan of my kids playing football. If it were no sport or football, I probably would begrudgingly give into that. I did let them play through middle school. But wrestling was always both of my sons' sport of choice. If you want to be the best you can be at wrestling, football is no help. There was no way being on the football field was going to improve my son's wrestling this summer as much as being on the mat. I also feel two contact sports back to back is just too much. Also, aside from the concussion injuries, it's all the other ones ... knees, bone breaks, muscle tears, sprains, that football sends into the wrestling room that takes away from the wrestling team. I know there are football dad's, and they think it's da bomb. I get that. It's my favorite team sport to watch. But when I take into account whether football is actually likely to be good for my kids vs. bad, I feel it's the most likely one to be bad.

Also, choosing a sport is not up to my kids in the long run. It's up to me, and in the long run, whatever outcome from the sport is on me as well. Kids are, all in all, idiots if given half a chance to be. :) I follow that rule of thumb generally with just about every decision I make. It means saying no to what they want most of time. Saying no to football wasn't that hard for me. Had they played, this would have been my seventh season of HS football, and I am sure there are multiple doctors visits I have never made, and probably an emergency room trip or two as well. They would play football like they wrestle, all in, and I am sure they would have suffered something for it. Just the way I look at it.

Personally I am not a fan of my kids playing football. If it were no sport or football, I probably would begrudgingly give into that. I did let them play through middle school. But wrestling was always both of my sons' sport of choice. If you want to be the best you can be at wrestling, football is no help. There was no way being on the football field was going to improve my son's wrestling this summer as much as being on the mat. I also feel two contact sports back to back is just too much. Also, aside from the concussion injuries, it's all the other ones ... knees, bone breaks, muscle tears, sprains, that football sends into the wrestling room that takes away from the wrestling team. I know there are football dad's, and they think it's da bomb. I get that. It's my favorite team sport to watch. But when I take into account whether football is actually likely to be good for my kids vs. bad, I feel it's the most likely one to be bad.

Also, choosing a sport is not up to my kids in the long run. It's up to me, and in the long run, whatever outcome from the sport is on me as well. Kids are, all in all, idiots if given half a chance to be. :) I follow that rule of thumb generally with just about every decision I make. It means saying no to what they want most of time. Saying no to football wasn't that hard for me. Had they played, this would have been my seventh season of HS football, and I am sure there are multiple doctors visits I have never made, and probably an emergency room trip or two as well. They would play football like they wrestle, all in, and I am sure they would have suffered something for it. Just the way I look at it.

Lighten up Francis, I'm 54 years old and your even a little bit too old fashioned for me, lol

There are football dads;  then there are crazy, fanatical wrestling dads, who vicariously live through their children because they couldn't hack it in a sport........... See above for description

Here is my current issue. I have several wrestlers on my team that are currently playing football. They keep aproaching me to open up the room for preseason technique practices because many of them are seniors and almost all of them are dedicated to wrestling over football. Doing what I thought was the right thing i asked our football coach if he cared if these kids came up and worked out occasionally as long as it did not interfere with football. I got the answer i didn't want to hear. He said he doesnt want them doing anything not football related. Obviously he doesn't want them to get hurt but these kids are wanting to learn some new techniques before their season kicks off. What kind of injuries have we really seen going through technique training? Football has the entire summer to prepare. Wrestling has only a couple weeks once football is over. Thoughts or ideas on how to approach this issue?

Here is my current issue. I have several wrestlers on my team that are currently playing football. They keep aproaching me to open up the room for preseason technique practices because many of them are seniors and almost all of them are dedicated to wrestling over football. Doing what I thought was the right thing i asked our football coach if he cared if these kids came up and worked out occasionally as long as it did not interfere with football. I got the answer i didn't want to hear. He said he doesnt want them doing anything not football related. Obviously he doesn't want them to get hurt but these kids are wanting to learn some new techniques before their season kicks off. What kind of injuries have we really seen going through technique training? Football has the entire summer to prepare. Wrestling has only a couple weeks once football is over. Thoughts or ideas on how to approach this issue?

Im guessing the coach is unclear of the difference between learning some new techniques and live wrestling.  I would wonder if the football coach allows basketball kids to come in for morning shooting?  If the coach is adamant about nothing but football he is likely to be supported by the AD.  Remember you have the summer to prepare as well.

There's not much you can do. You're not going to find a football coach that would OK something like that. More than likely, they would have to give-up football.

There's not much you can do. You're not going to find a football coach that would OK something like that. More than likely, they would have to give-up football.

I know one FB coach that would OK a technique only workout, one day a week, as long as it was voluntary.

You are kinda screwed depending on the size of your school and I'm guessing you're 4a or better from the way your fball coach is talking to you.  As Karl stated, you can talk him and explain technique but that will more than likely be an exercise in futility.  Football is king and coaches know it. 

Good coachs will realize that the guys who wrestle will have a more mature muscle than the guys who just play football usually and those guys will usually be the harder workers and will usually be the better players and wrestlers if your football coach does not know that and will not change well he will be stuck being where he is at and he will force the kids to make that decision do i quit something i like doing and work on something that i LOVE doing

There are football dads;  then there are crazy, fanatical wrestling dads, who vicariously live through their children because they couldn't hack it in a sport........... See above for description

Considering I have had kids in wrestling for almost 20 years, and this was first post ever.... exactly how fanatical can I be? That's the funniest thing eva coming from 1500 posts, .8 posts a day!  ;D

I am fanatical..

but...

If you want to be the best you can be at wrestling, football is no help. There was no way being on the football field was going to improve my son's wrestling this summer as much as being on the mat.

well......

I know there are football dad's, and they think it's da bomb. I get that.

da bomb??  like da bears?? like da brat??

It's my favorite team sport to watch. But when I take into account whether football is actually likely to be good for my kids vs. bad, I feel it's the most likely one to be bad.

these quotes......

Also, choosing a sport is not up to my kids in the long run. It's up to me, and in the long run, whatever outcome from the sport is on me as well.

ummm....well..... whatever...... I even left out the idiot quotes!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.