New Rule Book/ Case Book and Manual discussion

I just received my new rulebook/ case book and manual from the IHSAA.  I figured that there could be some useful discussion that could come from these arriving in the mail this week, so I’m going to put the rules revisions and point of emphasis from the poster on this post, then a couple of questions that I had from flipping through the books after that.  I think a rules book discussion could do some good.

Rules Revisions

1. The rules language regarding the use of electronic devices and video recording was standardized

2. Forfeits are no longer considered as matches wrestled when considering the limit of five matches in one day

3. Beginning with the 2014-15 wrestling season, if hair covers are worn, they must be attached to the ear guards

4. Although a wrestler has the option of using an artificial limb during competition, if the wrestler chooses to weigh-in with the artificial limb, he or she shall wear the artificial limb during competition at all times.

5. New rules language was approve for a bad-time situation that involves not being given the choice of positions after the two-point stalling call during a match.

Points of Emphasis

Communicable diseases

Skin Checks and weigh-ins in multiple-day competitions

End-of-Match Procedure

Assistant Referee Responsibilities

Ok so flipping through the book briefly I had a few things catch my eye.  I don’t know if they are new or not, or If I am seeing them wrong, but these items never seem to get called, or are new.

1. Rules Book- Illustrations- page 73 70. (7-1-51)

This appears to be what we at Churubusco call a "chin rip"  I see this all the time, our guys run them, I remember Weber from Leo and Rimmel from Central Noble running this move very effectively. So is this a new rule, or does it just not get called?  Is it not illegal if you step through and try to throw with it?

2. Rules Book- Illustrations page 74 71. (7-1-51)

This also appears to be a chin rip, but the head is not twisted, thus should be called potentially dangerous, again I never see it called, or is it new?

3.  Case Manual- Page 86. Stalling in offensive positions

Typical holds contribute to stalling in the advantage position

b. double leg grapevine for riding only.

This is another thing that happens often.  More of referees interpretation than anything, but when a guy is riding legs on top I cannot recall the last time I have seen them called for stalling.  Stalemates get called here all the time, but very rarely is it called stalling?  Anyone know why?

Look forward to seeing what others think.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.