Ellis, Tsirtsis, Escabedo- Who came the closest to defeating them?

I was thinking this morning, and started to wonder how dominant these three were all through high school. Obviously they were undefeated for four years which is very dominant, but did they destroy everyone their freshmen years?  Were there any times they came close to being defeated? What about later in their career?

I know that Angel lost to a guy from out of state, I couldn't remember if he had another loss at some point or not.  I never saw Ellis wrestle, so I have no clue on him.  I watched Tsirtsis and Escabedo at state all four years, and cant recall them having any really close matches there, but honestly I cannot recall any individual matches they have, so they could have won like a 1 point match as freshmen in the finals and I wouldn't recall it.

So anyhow who, in state, came the closest to beating these guys during high school. Btw I don't care if it was a tuesday meet in the middle of the season or the state finals, I just want to gage how dominant they were all the way through.

Escobedo: Never really challenged in-state.  The match with Perkey, he still won by major (I think), and was rolled to his back while earning nearfall--not thrown.  Still a big deal, but the final result wasn't in question once he was off his back.

A. Tsirtsis: I believe the semi-final at 130 against Weinzapfel his sophomore year was 8-6.  Weinzapfel put him to his back briefly in the second period, if I recall correctly, when Alex was up by a few.  He then wrestled very hesitantly the rest of the match and hung on for the win.

He also had a number of 5 or 6 point wins against English his senior year--including 10-5 in the state championship. 

Esbobedo lost 1 match during his high school career and Tsirtsis lost 2 during his freshman year

Escobedos loss was out of state, and your talking about the wrong tsirtsis. Big tsirtsis is the one the topic is addressing sincs he was undefeated.

Jason lost twice his frosh year... to Cashe Quiroga of Lawrence North at the Calumet Traicoff in early December (a loss he avenged in the state semi's) and to Anthony Napules of Merrillville in the team regional. I believe Angel lost to Joe Lopez of Illinois, who was nationally ranked. The closest match I remember Alex having was his semi final win over two timer Craig Weinzapfel of MD.

I remember watching Sullivan from Beech Grove and Ellis being tied late in a match during a dual at Tech in 1989.  I seem to remember Ellis cutting him and then taking him down with very little time left in the match to win a close one.

I remember watching Sullivan from Beech Grove and Ellis being tied late in a match during a dual at Tech in 1989.  I seem to remember Ellis cutting him and then taking him down with very little time left in the match to win a close one.

Paul tied the match and Mac had him cut Lance to go for the win rather than try and ride him out for a tie (bouts could end in a tie back then in dual meets for all you youngsters). Paul did get a win against him later that year at Central Nationals in Madison, WI which helped get him a scholarship to Illinois.

I could be wrong but I'm almost certain Shane Perkey threw Angel and kept him there until the period was over. At that point, Angel put on a clinic.

You may be right (and I've been wrong before), but I thought Perkey rolled him through when Angel was putting him to his back.  (not that it matters...the main point is that it was the only time Angel was ever in any danger against an Indiana opponent)

Any Jimmies or Griffith folks have video or remember clearly enough to describe it to us?

Don't have the video but Angel was never in danger of being stuck.  Shane vs Angel should have been the championship match, not the semi's, as they were the 2 best wrestlers that year.  On another note, Alex was thrown to his back at a tournament in Illinois by a kid from Providence Cathlotic, but Alex was out of bounds so not really in trouble as the kid never tried to bring him back in bounds for near fall or the pin.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.