Jared Brooks college

busstogate

mma, notre dame coaches respected the fact that this is jarreds dream and he is really good at what he does and they gave him the nod too move on to that next level. coach ralph is a hell of a great guy and knows that jarred will eventually be a world champion

mma, notre dame coaches respected the fact that this is jarreds dream and he is really good at what he does and they gave him the nod too move on to that next level. coach ralph is a hell of a great guy and knows that jarred will eventually be a world champion

i've said it all along that jarred would be in ufc someday.....i predict that he will make an appearance on the ultimate fighter show, win it and then move on to being a ufc superstar.....

Just a thought, why not attend college, maybe grab a degree, then focus on MMA.. Back Up plan, never sink all your eggs in the same place... This is not a bash B, just thinking out loud...

It doesn't work that way for everybody...

I am going to add and translate what Time and others are thinking.

Yes this is a good kid, likable, and we are rooting for him to do well.

I think his comment, and the ones that may have been deleted, are not really

singleing out JAred, but are more a general wish to see more of our states wrestlers

end up at great programs and successful academic situations and outcomes that last

a lifetime.  There have been several very good Indiana kids with DI talent

that have ended up not qualifying or dropping out, and we want to see more succeed

at high levels academically and wrestling wise. I also think there are some

Programs that have produced highly on the mat, but the college carryover his not

been to what I would say is successful.  For example, I think time and money wasted on

going to places like Disney duals would be better spent on college prepatory

or personal academic focus time that could be professionally monitored for a fraction

of the cost of a trip.

You dont' give them a choice, my parents told me what I was doing. Are you really asking ? One of our biggest problems we have going on in this great country is "you" as ( parents ) give your children to many excuses.  Powerline, put it best. The list of great wrestlers in this state never even made it to college because of grades.

Irony:  Having a discussion about the necessity and aspirations of whether student-athletes should be encouraged to attend post secondary institutions and the word "through" is improperly used instead of the correct word, "throw." AND, it's not "to many excuses" it's "too many excuses."

Classic....

Go ahead and bombard me with the usual responses - anger, call me the grammar police, etc.  But if you want to have an intelligent debate, be intelligent. 

I am going to add and translate what Time and others are thinking.

Yes this is a good kid, likable, and we are rooting for him to do well.

I think his comment, and the ones that may have been deleted, are not really

singleing out JAred, but are more a general wish to see more of our states wrestlers

end up at great programs and successful academic situations and outcomes that last

a lifetime.  There have been several very good Indiana kids with DI talent

that have ended up not qualifying or dropping out, and we want to see more succeed

at high levels academically and wrestling wise. I also think there are some

Programs that have produced highly on the mat, but the college carryover his not

been to what I would say is successful.  For example, I think time and money wasted on

going to places like Disney duals would be better spent on college prepatory

or personal academic focus time that could be professionally monitored for a fraction

of the cost of a trip.

I don't think you can make a blanket statement like this. For some kids I would agree, if they don't have good grades they should be concentrating on schooling and not wrestling all over the country. But for many others who do have their schooling in order, these tournaments are what help them become D1 wrestlers. in my opinion, I think what the big downfall is for many of our best kids, is that stepping into the D1 arena is just to much, even if they are good students. D1 is tough all around - year round sports and college academics that are brutal compared to high school. Sitting in a lecture hall with 400 other students in a class that has 2 grades, a mid term paper and a final test. Not much room for screwing up one of them. No home work and extra credit to make up for bad test scores. And now the high school stud is just another wrestler that was used to dominating his opponents, but now he is taking losses. Mentally, all around, even for the good student, it's a tough gig. Why not go to a smaller school that demands less of you as an athlete, has much smaller classes that allow you more time with prof's, and let's you still be the stud (or close to it). In the end, maybe you then are able to weather the storm of college and athletics, and you get your degree. That's really what it's all about - getting your education, not being a D1 athlete. Not everyone is a Jason Tsirtsis.........

Irony:  Having a discussion about the necessity and aspirations of whether student-athletes should be encouraged to attend post secondary institutions and the word "through" is improperly used instead of the correct word, "throw." AND, it's not "to many excuses" it's "too many excuses."

Classic....

Go ahead and bombard me with the usual responses - anger, call me the grammar police, etc.  But if you want to have an intelligent debate, be intelligent.

WOW! I'm very nearly speechless.... and that is rare.  ::)

For that reason I promote wrestling in college but not D1 Specifically. I think the calibur of wrestler able to handle that is rare. You have to figure out and know what will work for you athletically and academically. I knew I would never survive a D1 atmosphere. I had a hard enough time paying attention and staying on top of things with out some extra motivation form my teachers in high school. That's why Findlay was a great fit. The biggest class I had was 100 level class fo 60 kids and my professor and future advisor was still able to name all her students and know a little bit about them. I knew it was that kind of atmosphere that would help me be successful. So all you seniors who surf the board, go out and visit as many schools as possible big, small, near far, you get to pick the college so pick the one that fits the best.

In response to the  "not for everyone debate" you are right college is hard and exspensive. But one should go out and get good at SOMETHING practical. Construction, plumbing, IT support, roofing, business. Making the jump to MMA is a risky one. I hope it works out, seen the kid fight he isnt bad. What was suggested  was to cover your basis  and have a practical talent to show possible future employers that you can do something. Just my opinion.

Good luck to Jared in his future endeavors.

Classic....

You are a proper jackass...

You are joke, what happen?Checked your work, found some misatkes, " Edit " cleaned it up.

No, I edited my response because I found your improper use of the word "to."  So I figured if I was going to call attention to the Mayor of Jimtown's errors I should point yours out as well.  It only seemed fair. To further my point: it's "happened," not "happen" and it's spelled MISTAKES. 

Here's my issue: don't go on a message board dictating other people's lives, and certainly don't give parental advice like you know everyone's background and circumstances. 

As for calling me a "jackass" Jimtown,  it's kind of hard to respect an individual who anoints HIMSELF the "Mayor."  It's  cheesy. 

No, I edited my response because I found your improper use of the word "to."  So I figured if I was going to call attention to the Mayor of Jimtown's errors I should point yours out as well.  It only seemed fair. To further my point: it's "happened," not "happen" and it's spelled MISTAKES. 

Here's my issue: don't go on a message board dictating other people's lives, and certainly don't give parental advice like you know everyone's background and circumstances. 

As for calling me a "jackass" Jimtown,  it's kind of hard to respect an individual who annoints HIMSELF the "Mayor."  It's  cheesy.

The Mayor of Jimtown was a nickname of my father's and I used it as a joke, so there's not really any "anointment" going on here. Here's my issue: don't go on a message board and correct spelling and grammar of others unless you like conflict...

Here's my issue: don't go on a message board and correct spelling and grammar of others unless you like conflict...

I enjoy a good debate.  Pretty sure this one's not worth the time and effort.  You do what's best for you.  I'll go do what's best for me.  Jarred and his family will decide what's best for them.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.