Mater Dei Back on Top??

navy80

As you can see from their young lineup from last year they have a lot returning and a lot of experience.  Throw in the talented freshman and looks like Mater Dei may field the best team they have had in years.  (As long as they can shuffle their lineup around to fit everyone in. 

Where does Wyatt Seng fit in?  thoughts? 

106 Josh Clem 11/ Will Egli 9  (Clem Semi State Qual 1st round)

113 Mitch Lehman 10  (Semi state qual 1st round)

120 Alex Johnson 11  (Semi State Qual ticket round)

126 Nick Lee 9

132 Blake Jourdan 10 (semi state qual ticket round)

138 Wyatt Seng

145 Josh Pierre 12 (State qualifier 2X and last year lost in ticket round)

160 Logan Weinzy 12  (semi state qual 1st round)

170 Ashton Forzley 11

182 Sam Bassemier 12 (semi state qual 1st round)

220 Kyle Dennis 10

I remember back in late 90's or early 2000's Mater Dei had a kid qaulify for state one year and didn't make varisty the next year.  Nosko was part of that team I believe.

As you can see from their young lineup from last year they have a lot returning and a lot of experience.  Throw in the talented freshman and looks like Mater Dei may field the best team they have had in years.  (As long as they can shuffle their lineup around to fit everyone in. 

Where does Wyatt Seng fit in?  thoughts? 

106 Josh Clem 11/ Will Egli 9  (Clem Semi State Qual 1st round)

113 Mitch Lehman 10  (Semi state qual 1st round)

120 Alex Johnson 11  (Semi State Qual ticket round)

126 Nick Lee 9

132 Blake Jourdan 10 (semi state qual ticket round)

138 Wyatt Seng

145 Josh Pierre 12 (State qualifier 2X and last year lost in ticket round)

160 Logan Weinzy 12  (semi state qual 1st round)

170 Ashton Forzley 11

182 Sam Bassemier 12 (semi state qual 1st round)

220 Kyle Dennis 10

Forzley was a State Qualifier last year at 152 and Alex Johnson qualified as a freshman at 113.  You also have Noah Schwiezer to fit in the lineup somewhere possibly.  He was a ISWA Folkstyle state champ 2 years ago and runner up to Tommy Cash this year.  I believe he majored Preston Mantel at this years event.  So where does he fit in?  Could be really interesting from 120 to 152.  Lee will go wherever he wants and then the other guys will have to fill in around him. 

Not to start anything, but I heard from a pretty good source that Lee may not be in line up for EMD this year. May stay he for the he schooling and then compete in national events. This due to if he is at EMD then he has to travel with the team and thus lose out on his National accolades and training else where. I hope this is wrong as I would love to see his talent here. But whatever it may be, I wish h the best

Not to start anything, but I heard from a pretty good source that Lee may not be in line up for EMD this year. May stay he for the he schooling and then compete in national events. This due to if he is at EMD then he has to travel with the team and thus lose out on his National accolades and training else where. I hope this is wrong as I would love to see his talent here. But whatever it may be, I wish h the best

Don't know Nick or the Lee family, and just my personal opinion (their family decision is what's important) but I think it would be a shame to miss out on the high school experience of being on the team with his friends and competing as a team.  HS wrestling is about 5 months per year.  That leaves 7 more to stack up national accolades and other more individual goals.

Either way, good luck to this young man, his accomplishments over the past several years have been impressive

Wow.  Glad J Tsirtsis/A Tsirtsis/Howe/Escobedo decided to wrestle in h.s. for their teams. Hope this is merely rumor.

I dont think its gonna happen but thats what Henry Cejudo did..but he basically just trained in the international styles

Cejudo won two HS state titles in Arizona then moved to the OTC but attended a local HS and won two more state titles through that school in Colorado.

National stud Kyle Snyder last season left Washington State to train at the OTC his senior year and train international without competing for a state title in Colorado.  He will attend Ohio State bext year.  It was rumored nationally ranked nomad Mark Hall may so something similar too for his last few high school years but he recently stated he would return to Apple Valley to try to accomplish a high school title record in Minnisota. 

really...hm I was always under the assumption he went strictly international...maybe college is what im thinking of...

Yeah he definitely passed on college wrestling to continue on his Olympic run. But, I think he was taking classes during some of that time (maybe online) through some school.  Not sure if he finished with a degree though.  Something Buisness/Finance related would seem logical with his post Olypic goals.

Other post has someone clearly stating that he WILL be at EMD this year. Now the question is, who is going to have to sit out this year on a pretty good team.

My guess would be Seng..He has the potential to be a state placer. He wrestled iswa folkstyle state at 138 and looked solid. I don't see him going 20. Imo looks like Lee 26..jourdan 32..schwiezer 38..pierre 45. If you throw in Seng than which other one don't make varsity. I could see all these kids making it to state and probably placing. 

They are definitely back and reloaded..

I've heard egli 106, embry 113, Lehman 120, lee 126 ,jourdan132, Pierre 138

Not so fast.....What about Johnson, Schweitzer, Seng, Clem and about a 1/2 dozen other guys that can compete and win a spot in that weight range?

Not so fast.....What about Johnson, Schweitzer, Seng, Clem and about a 1/2 dozen other guys that can compete and win a spot in that weight range?

Clem wont be varsity, but we could see big things from the others

I am excited to see EMD this year.  It is almost impossible to find a better individual than Coach Schaffer all around great guy. 

As far as EMD being back on top? Until someone beats Perry Meridian it is there crown but EMD looks like they have the team that could potentially do it.  It will be an exciting season for sure.

After Reitz giving Mater Dei a few fits over the last 5-6 years it appears Mater Dei is on the verge of becoming the best team in the state again this year. I have watched a few of the incoming freshman wrestle over the last 10 years and they are very deserving of the hoopla they are getting on these boards. I know Reitz has 3 or 4 good kids coming back this year but overall they are going to struggle to compete in the SIAC as a team. I think they have just enough fire power to defend their Sectional Title at Castle but this years thunder will follow the Mater Dei squad of kids. I cant wait for this season to start.

As far as EMD being back on top? Until someone beats Perry Meridian it is there crown but EMD looks like they have the team that could potentially do it.  It will be an exciting season for sure.

Throw in Cathedral and Penn... I believe any of those four teams could all be on top this year. Thank God all of them ended up in the 3A championship duals in December.

Throw in Cathedral and Penn... I believe any of those four teams could all be on top this year. Thank God all of them ended up in the 3A championship duals in December.

My pre season top 5, IMO

1) Penn

1a) Cathedral

3) Perry Meridian

4) Warren Central

5) EMD

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.