Indiana's greatest high school wrestler

PoTweet

It is safe because the IHSAA changed their rules and made it mandatory to have four dual meets a year.

Agreed. But had the rules not been changed 60 HS matches per year is still iron man territory. Only seven have ever wrestled more than 200 matches. So the 200 match mark is more rare than the 4x'er.

To base the best wrestler ever on amount of high school wins is absurd. If you are going to do that you can also say all these guys are "better" than anyone ever to grace the mat in Indiana.

329 Chad Pyke (Woodward Academy, College Park, GA) 2010-2013*

324 Pete Baldwin (Life Academy & Osceola HS, Kissimmee, FL) 2004-2011

304 Travis Sullivan (Monticello Wayne County, KY) 2003-2008

304 Josh Johnson (Elizabethtown John Hardin, KY) 2005-2010

284 Colton Palmer (Durham Riverside, NC) 2003-2007

278 Evan Warrington (McDonough Henry County, GA) 2005-2009

276 Andy Khair (College Park Woodward Academy, GA) 2008-2011

275 Kyle Cuthbertson (Scottsboro, AL) 2003-2008

275 Zach Blindet (Salem McCook Central, SD) 2003-2008

268 Dan Bonte (Garretson, SD) 1999-2005

267 Chase Cuthbertson (Scottsboro, AL) 2003-2008

Winning 236 matches is great, but more of a product of scheduling than anything else. Would you still say Alex is the best if he was 188-0 on this career?

I don't know if having 236 wins make Alex one of the best. But he dominated alot of those guys I think not having the summer success that Howe Jason Sliga or even Micic had hurts him in this thread. Between 2000-2004 he was untouchable in Indiana. I would love to see his stat line of points scored to points against.

I don't know if having 236 wins make Alex one of the best. But he dominated alot of those guys I think not having the summer success that Howe Jason Sliga or even Micic had hurts him in this thread. Between 2000-2004 he was untouchable in Indiana. I would love to see his stat line of points scored to points against.

I would say 9ish of those 236 wins were gimmes beating up on that poor Reiser kid from Calumet.

To base the best wrestler ever on amount of high school wins is absurd. If you are going to do that you can also say all these guys are "better" than anyone ever to grace the mat in Indiana.

Winning 236 matches is great, but more of a product of scheduling than anything else. Would you still say Alex is the best if he was 188-0 on this career?

don't get me wrong, I agree there are many factors. Personally I don't think there is "one" greatest of all time.

A Tsirtsis beat Metcalf, Tannenbaum, Gillespie, Valenti and I think Poeta in high school (Those 5 wrestlers either won NCAA's or was a runner up).  He also lost to Metcalf and Tannenbaum but he had some great wins in the off season.  I think Alex was the best but hard to pick just one.  I want to say Jason was only taken down by Cashe in Indiana high school matches.  Napules beat him but it was a late reversal.  He beat Wright his Freshman year and don't remember if Wright took him down??  Jason stepping up two weight classes to beat Stevenson by major was pretty impressive.  I still remember howe picking neutral against Walploe in the third in the finals match.  Gutsy call, but if he did not not he may have only been a two time champ.  Ellis was beast as was Escobedo.  Escobedo had Gomez from Illinois beat should have won that match.  He came back to beat him at Fargo. 

I have no dog in this fight so my opinion is completely unbiased. With that said Brennan Cosgrove was the most dominant wrestler Indiana has ever seen.

END OF THREAD!

Pretty sure i saw Cosgrove get teched at state one of those years.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.