Indiana's greatest high school wrestler

PoTweet

People were saying very similar things about his brother at Iowa. No one is a guaranteed NCAA champion.

This is true, but did Alex have the resume that Jason does at this point in his career?  Jason just gave the national champ a heck of a match at the Midlands last season, losing 7-5.  Of course if he struggles with injury everything changes, but if he stays healthy I don't see how he won't get at least one national title.

Killer cut for Jake his junior year.  I don't blame him for going back up his senior year.

Not to rain on your parade or to take anything from Jake who was one of Indiana's best, but a 189lbs beat Jake a 215lbs both his junior and senior year, and that was Nate Moore...

Big Bob his weight comment was in reference to this typo:

FYI... 3xer's

Jake O’Brien, Franklin Central: 2001, 215; [glow=red,2,300]2002 ,125[/glow]; 2003, 215.

I'm not sure today's weight management plan would approve.

Big Bob his weight comment was in reference to this typo:

I'm not sure today's weight management plan would approve.

[/quote

I was only referring to Jake being nominated by the subject manner, I thought Jake was being mentioned as a candidate and I was just pointing out why I didn't think he was worthy of that title.

Tough question but as far as just in high school folkstyle wrestling...its got to be Lance Ellis. He pinned 85% of his opponents. Angel is the only wrestler with more falls by 5 and he wrestled 50 more matches then Lance did. Which means Lance would of had 180+ pins in his career. And yes I know Alex didnt have the college resume that most thought he would but I cant believe no one has mentioned his name. 236 wins in a row?

Lance was not the first, but, actually the 4th.

Estil Ritter, Bloomington: 1924, 175; 1925, 175; 1926, Hwt.; 1927, Hwt.

Willard Duffy, Muncie Central: 1930, l00; 1931, 108; 1932, 115; 1933, 115.

Howard Fisher, South Bend Central: 1949, 95; 1950, 112; 1951, 127; 1952, 133.

Lance Ellis, Indianapolis Cathedral: 1986, 98; 1987, 105*; 1988, 112; 1989, 119.

Blake Maurer, Evansville Mater Dei:  2001, 130; 2002, 145; 2003, 171; 2004, 171.

Alex Tsirtsis, Griffith: 2001, 119; 2002, 130; 2003, 135; 2004, 145.

Angel Escobedo, Griffith: 2002, 112; 2003, 125; 2004, 130; 2005, 135.

Jason Tsirtsis, Crown Point: 2009, 125; 2010, 130; 2011, 140; 2012, 145.

http://www.ihsaa.org/Sports/Boys/Wrestling/StateFinalsRecords/tabid/321/Default.aspx

I stand corrected. first 4x undefeated

Didnt alex lose to nate gallick as a true frosh.

..the score was close if i recall and that had the iowa faithful salivating over what the future held.

If Alex stays healthy his college carrer would have been very different. Not only the injuries, but the timing of those injuries as well. JMO

My post was in response to remarks made that jason would be a multi time champ and that his result against maple reinforced that....i simply just mentioned a very similar match by his bro. 

Believe me i hope jason is a national champ....i am impressed by him so much i used a fantasy pick on him last year knowing that he was rs and that my only points would come from midlands....hah

Then you can throw in what the accomplishment looked like on paper vs. what the actual circumstances/level of competition was. In some cases studs end up taking out young studs which take a little away from their total accomplishments on paper, but not from the great talent they matured into.  Angel beats out Reece to prevent him from being a 4 time state champ, then Reece's beats Andrew (yes Howe was that small once) to prevent him from being a 4 time state champ.  From that perspectice its hard not to at least mention guys like Reece or Andrew in a list of top guys even if they were only 3 time champs. 

Too  many variables betweeb generations, competition level, high school season or all styles, in-state vs national accomplishments, lifetime accomplishments vs. in a certain time frame vs one year,  to ever narrow it down.  Better just to list some big names and how they have contributed to IN national recognition in wrestling.

I believe that it is stretching it to say that Reece would have won State at 112, if not for Angel.  More likely, he would have won it if not for his own teammate at 103.

so is the question greatest "high school" wrestler or greatest "overall" wrestler?........if you're going just high school then you about have to roll the 4 timers together and pick from that.......

I disagree with this argument.  This would be true if we were determining who had the best high school career.  It is certainly conceivable that someone could be say Third, Runner up, Champ, Champ and at the end of that last season have been noticeably better than someone who won four championships.  Thus the first lad would be the better wrestler, while the second would have had the better career. 

Gotta go with Ellis, pretty simple math, he pinned out 85% of the time. The next comment should read who is second, ...Once you set the bar, every swinging person once to go higher...Its Ellis, good luck on the rest...

name a few really good wrestlers that lance ellis beat back in the day and he could be considered. jason has the most remarkable resume due to the fact he has wrestled the best and beat the best! he went after competition didnt avoid it. i was their to see lance win 3 titles, he didnt wrestle anyone great and certainly couldnt compete at the national level. cant expect to beat the best with a headlock or lateral drop! jason is the full package and will win at least 2 national championships if healthy. reece gets my second vote!!!  micic a close third!! this kids just gettin started

name a few really good wrestlers that lance ellis beat back in the day and he could be considered. jason has the most remarkable resume due to the fact he has wrestled the best and beat the best! he went after competition didnt avoid it. i was their to see lance win 3 titles, he didnt wrestle anyone great and certainly couldnt compete at the national level. cant expect to beat the best with a headlock or lateral drop! jason is the full package and will win at least 2 national championships if healthy. reece gets my second vote!!!  micic a close third!! this kids just gettin started

Very sound reasoning. Lance was one of the greats. During his HS career did he have equal success at the national level? I'll second all three of your choices and your order. I might have to put Sliga up there ahead of LE based on his national performances while in HS. Would a 4xer that hadn't cracked say the top 8 in the national rankings based on his national performances be considered ahead of another that had 2-3 state titles but was consistently top 3 nationally? Being a 4xer is a great feat. But it's not how ya start it's how ya finish.

To me, this is like saying that Babe Ruth wasn't as good as today's sluggers because the modern pitchers are more specialized and throw faster.  Or that Jim Brown isn't as good of a runner as today's RBs cause the defensive players weren't as big or fast.

WITHIN the period that he wrestled, Ellis was dominant like no other.  I can't think of a sport where old generation athletes are "better" than modern athletes.  I don't, however, think that takes away from their accomplishments.  If that were the case, you would have seen many other wrestlers from the 80s with 80% pinning percentages, but to my knowledge they don't exist.

To me, this is like saying that Babe Ruth wasn't as good as today's sluggers because the modern pitchers are more specialized and throw faster.  Or that Jim Brown isn't as good of a runner as today's RBs cause the defensive players weren't as big or fast.

WITHIN the period that he wrestled, Ellis was dominant like no other.  I can't think of a sport where old generation athletes are "better" than modern athletes.  I don't, however, think that takes away from their accomplishments.  If that were the case, you would have seen many other wrestlers from the 80s with 80% pinning percentages, but to my knowledge they don't exist.

I believe that if you were great in one era, you will be great an any other era.  If Lance Ellis were given the same training, nutrition and conditioning methods available to today's athlete, he would be dominant still.  That being said, my vote still goes to Jason Tsirtsis

You articulated that point better than I ever could.

To much short term memory lost for you B. Should of said "no"  more often. I Don't see that way B., I am pretty sure Ellis never ran from s***. Your mind is little to foggy, nothing against Jason, or his brother Alex. I bet if you ask those boys, Lance would be on top too, B. Like I said, He set the bar, everyone else had a Goal to shoot for, you know what I mean, B.

Tough question but as far as just in high school folkstyle wrestling...its got to be Lance Ellis. He pinned 85% of his opponents. Angel is the only wrestler with more falls by 5 and he wrestled 50 more matches then Lance did. Which means Lance would of had 180+ pins in his career. And yes I know Alex didnt have the college resume that most thought he would but I cant believe no one has mentioned his name. 236 wins in a row?

Got to respectfully disagree. Angel Escobedo would be by far tops due to both his high school and collegiate career and it's not even close.  Ellis had an incredible high school feat, and was tough as nails, but Angel had a bit more athleticism.

Angel Escobedo - State record holder for Most Pins, 156, Career Record of 223 wins, 4x State Champion

College - Angel Escobedo 4x All-American, NCAA finishes of 1st, 3rd, 4th, 5th, 3x Big 10 Champion

And he wasn't a little hot-head.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.