Passing of Coach Walt Wintin - Founder of Seymour's Wrestling Program

MattM

Though many of you may not have known Coach Walt Wintin, I would like to recognize him for his years of support to the Seymour Wrestling program which he established in 1960.

Summarized Obituary:

Walter M. Wintin, 82, of Seymour, passed along his way Thursday, July 11, 2013, at his residence.

Born Aug. 4, 1930, he was a 1948 graduate of Shelbyville High School and a U.S. Marine Corps veteran. He taught and coached at Warren Central High School in Marion County and at Shields High School (Seymour's original High School) and Seymour High School in Seymour. In these positions he taught math, health and physical education. He coached football, wrestling, baseball and basketball. He was athletic director and assistant principal at Seymour High School for 10 years. His total years in education was 35.

After establishing Seymour's Wrestling program in 1960, Coach Wintin lead the Owls for 13 years, first from 1960-62 and then returning from 1968-79.  During this time he had a career dual record of 106-72-4 (with only one losing season, his return year of 1968).  His 1977-1979 teams captured three consecutive Sectional titles.  Coach Wintin, also had four individual state placers (2-3rd, 4th, 5th) during his tenure.  He was inducted into the Indiana High School Wrestling Coaches' Association's Hall of Fame in 1980.

Not bad for a guy who was a member of of Shelbyville's state champion basketball team in 1947.

Following his years of coaching Coach Winton continue to support the wrestling program attending home meets right up to this past years, as well as, providing sage wisdom to the coaching staff. 

Coach Winton support will be missed.  As one of his former wrestlers mentioned in the newspaper report:

“I think, technically, he was very sound, but that’s not why he was loved,” said Clark Brown, a 1972 Seymour High School graduate. “He was loved because he taught life. He knew he was taking young men and molding them. I think an awful lot of people who wrestled for Walt had a real strong connection. I think it was because of the way he mentored young men.”

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.