FARGO U.S. NATIONALS

MattM

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another solid win for Corsero. He's down to a few matches left in his pool and will AA in one of the deepest weights. He hasn't built up quite as many wins as the other two undefeated a left in his bracket so hopefully he can continue to rely on straight wins against these guys to secure a high placement. 

On a side note, Chavez dropped his second match in a row and is out without placing.  That going to shuffle the rankings a little.

Sliga is moving on in his pool as well and Bernard is up soon.  The Juniors left are definitely trying to make a showing.  It would be awesome to see a few in the finals, with some additional AAs as well.

Six Junior All-Americans

Brandon James 7th

Riley Lefever 1st

Vinny Corsaro top 8

Mitch Sliga top 6 most likely 1st

Fletcher Miller top 8 win to get in top 6

Wes Bernard top 6

They can all still make the finals (except James) if they win out.

It would be pretty cool to see IN in back to back to back to back finals.

It should at least happen at 182 and 195. Would be great to see the rest too but they have some big names to beat.

You are right, Corsaro has a "clean slate" since the guy that beat him is out. He will have to win the next two matches, but he looks to be in the top 6 most likely right now.

With a win Miller could actually place higher than the kid that just beat him.

Bernard will have to go through a mountain they call Coon.

Bernard will have to go through a mountain they call Coon.

Coon mountain was about a foot and a half taller than Winfield last year.  How does he size up to Bernard?

You know I'm a forgiving guy, and no, no kid died from the incident, but at the same time it had been in the high 90's all day. The coaches told the kids early in the day they would lose 3 pounds just from the warm up they were going to do. So the coach was aware of the heat that was going on. To then take the kids out and have them do anything ON THE ASPHALT was idiotic at best don't you agree?

absolutely agree.......

Coon mountain was about a foot and a half taller than Winfield last year.  How does he size up to Bernard?

Wes is looking forward to the challenge and excited to wrestle Coon, but to answer your question Wes is about 6"2 280lbs while Coon is about 6"5 260lbs. The worst Wes can finish is 6th and obviously could still win the championship, and as Coon Wes has all fall's or TF's! With Vinny's strong performance obviously Coach McGinley is happy with the big guns from his Irish team...

I have the same story at my house from my son after hands had been cleaned from the other coaching staff, saw the pictures he sent so we would" not freak out " when we saw them and he did not want any issues to come back at him or any other kids on the team. My question to the coach is Why? please tell me the benefit from pushups and wheelbarrows on the hot pavement? How was this helping a team of kids that are competing in a national WRESTLING tournament who need there hands 100%.  Blisters after a few days pop and the mats have many disease that can easily enter with open wounds!I also was told that the only one that did not have to participate in the hot pavement drill was this coaches competitor! If this was just a bad judgment on the coach's part then why not put your competitor through the same drills as the rest of the team? This looks bad on Indiana wrestling. I hope this coach will make a proper apology to the wrestlers and coaching staff.

Question - Are all the qualifiers from the state of IN required to participate with the team trip if they want to compete? Or are they able to compete under the team indiana umbrella but travel independantly and compete idependantly?

Thanks

Yes! All wrestlers must qualify through their state, regionals or FILA nationals in order to participate as members of their state team. Independent participation is not allowed at Fargo. 

Yes! All wrestlers must qualify through their state, regionals or FILA nationals in order to participate as members of their state team. Independent participation is not allowed at Fargo.

Thank you for your response. Karl is right. I understand qualification. My question is if a wrestler does qualify, in order to participate do they have to go with the team trip or can they travel to fargo themselves and participate?

Be careful for what you wish for, lol Coon is a monster and to watch him TF his opponent in :23 in the finals made Wes feel better about the loss. Coon's coach did pull Wes aside and told him that he was the only kid, make it out of the 1st period or to score on Coon (Greco or freestyle) and the fact that Wes took him down twice in the match presents a little upside in the loss! He came up short of his goal but he should be proud of 4th place finish in a tourney of this strength. Now he can focus on his unfinished business in this state!  ;)

A 5th place team finish in Junior Freestyle.  Nice job guys.  I don't have the historic info to check, so how does that rank in terms of Team Indiana team finishes in any style?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.