How many wrestlers play football?

CoachW33

I’m doing some personal research to answer a few questions I have for myself. If you could help me I would greatly appreciate it. If you have knowledge of any of these programs I loved to hear from you. Also, if they do not have a wrestling program, as I’m sure some don’t, that information would be appreciated as well.

How many wrestlers played on the following football teams this season?

Winamac

North Miami

Sheridan

Indianapolis Scecina

North Vermillion - 9

Linton-Stockton

Adrean

Cass

Bishop Luers

Tipton

Shenandoah

Card. Ritter

Lawrenceburg

Mater Dei

Mish. Marian

Heritage

Eastbrook

Hamilton Heights

Bishop Chatard

Greensburg

Gibson Southern

Hammond Morton

Mishawaka

Concord

FW Dwenger

Mt. Vernon

Cathedral

Columbus East - 12

Evansville Reitz

Merriville

Carroll (FW)

Snider

Fishers - 25

Lawrence Central

Pike

Center Grove - 15

Castle

Penn

Carmel

Warren Central

Jimtown - 20

Ben Davis - 15

Prairie Heights - 12

West Lafayette - 25

Danville - 8

Perry Meridian - 10

Westfield  - 16

Edgewood - 11

South Putnam - 15

Jeffersonville - 17

Any additional schools with a high number of wrestlers playing football would be appreciated.

Hopefully, with our new football staff, a decent amount more will be giving it a try in Seymour. The coaches don't come from wrestling backgrounds, but have said they want their athletes in some type of sporting activity all year round.

Do a search on this topic, you will get what you're after.

At Sullivan, the football coaches "hate" wrestling and have been known to make fun of the football players who are also wrestlers.  It's funny because we have wrestlers every year make it to semi state and at least regionals.  Our football team has only won a hand full of sectional games in its history. 

(I coach youth football too)

Busco 12 out 27.  I will say that we have great support from our football team.  Every player is encouraged to do three sports, some just choose not to.  Our winter sports had a call out meeting for all football players, and each of our football coaches attended the meeting and talked about the importance of wrestling for football players.

Busco 12 out 27.  I will say that we have great support from our football team.  Every player is encouraged to do three sports, some just choose not to.  Our winter sports had a call out meeting for all football players, and each of our football coaches attended the meeting and talked about the importance of wrestling for football players.

More of this attitude is needed.

Absolutely! 

Unfortunately, the subjective nature of determining football skills gives football coaches power to put undue pressure on players to do everything the football coach desires (including giving up wrestling so they can "focus" on football year-round).  If there were a wrestle-off type (non-subjective) contest that football players could rely on, rather than winning the popularity contest with the coach, you would see many more football players wrestling.

Smart football coaches know that wrestling skills are very important and therefore support their wrestling program.  Sadly, this is not the norm.

I agree, I also think that it is important that the wrestling team works with the football team as well.  We get a lot of our top guys from the football team, and we get a lot of encouragement from our football coaches.

On our end we do the following things to work with the football team:

1. Lift the football weight program.  Our school does BFS and we also do BFS.  We do not do a lot of wrestling specific (low weight, high rep stuff).  Our weights coach is a football coach and he has went as far as putting together a program of wrestling specific auxiliary lifts to go along with the BFS system, but we lift BFS core lifts with all of our guys.

2. We don’t cut a lot of weight.  Our coaches have never said anything to us about cutting weight, but we don’t push it, I imagine that helps us out.  Our top running back was a wrestler here the last few years.  His JR. year he cut from about 190 to 170 and the coaches had no problem with it, but cutting weight is something we don’t generally push.  This season same kid weighted 190, wrestled 220 and went to state.

I think you can have success in both sports by working together.  Our football team has been very good for a number of years now, they have they just happen to be in the same sectional as Luers.  Our wrestling team has been competitive, last year we finished second in class A, our sectional, and our regional.  We have a very good track team and competitive baseball as well. 

We also push all of our kids to run track or play baseball in the spring. Which hurts our numbers a lot as far as offseason wrestling goes, but our guys are being competitive and becoming better athletes all year long.

You could argue that our wrestling team would be better if we lifted more wrestling specific weights, made our kids cut weight, and discouraged them from running track.  If we did that though we wouldn’t have the athletes out for our wrestling team to be competitive, I would rather have them out for the team myself. It’s important for wrestling to be willing to work with other sports for the betterment of the other teams in the school.  A lot of times it seems like wrestling coaches get angry that they do not get other athletes out for their team, but they get stuck in their ways and won’t work with other coaches, or won’t push their athletes to do other sports either.

I agree, I also think that it is important that the wrestling team works with the football team as well.  We get a lot of our top guys from the football team, and we get a lot of encouragement from our football coaches.

On our end we do the following things to work with the football team:

1. Lift the football weight program.  Our school does BFS and we also do BFS.  We do not do a lot of wrestling specific (low weight, high rep stuff).  Our weights coach is a football coach and he has went as far as putting together a program of wrestling specific auxiliary lifts to go along with the BFS system, but we lift BFS core lifts with all of our guys.

2. We don’t cut a lot of weight.  Our coaches have never said anything to us about cutting weight, but we don’t push it, I imagine that helps us out.  Our top running back was a wrestler here the last few years.  His JR. year he cut from about 190 to 170 and the coaches had no problem with it, but cutting weight is something we don’t generally push.  This season same kid weighted 190, wrestled 220 and went to state.

I think you can have success in both sports by working together.  Our football team has been very good for a number of years now, they have they just happen to be in the same sectional as Luers.  Our wrestling team has been competitive, last year we finished second in class A, our sectional, and our regional.  We have a very good track team and competitive baseball as well. 

We also push all of our kids to run track or play baseball in the spring. Which hurts our numbers a lot as far as offseason wrestling goes, but our guys are being competitive and becoming better athletes all year long.

You could argue that our wrestling team would be better if we lifted more wrestling specific weights, made our kids cut weight, and discouraged them from running track.  If we did that though we wouldn’t have the athletes out for our wrestling team to be competitive, I would rather have them out for the team myself. It’s important for wrestling to be willing to work with other sports for the betterment of the other teams in the school.  A lot of times it seems like wrestling coaches get angry that they do not get other athletes out for their team, but they get stuck in their ways and won’t work with other coaches, or won’t push their athletes to do other sports either.

I think your school size helps as well.  One particular coach at Busco can't demand 24/7/365 committiment to his or her sport alone because it would kill the other sports.  Additionally, I would bet your AD would have something to say to that coach if he/she did try and monopolize a student's participation in their sport. 

To your point about losing weight, I think that is a fair assessment and a legitimate knock against a wrestling program.  I know at my kid's H.S. it isn't pushed but I wouldn't say it is discouraged.  Frankly, IMO, it's typically the kid that decides he wants to cut, not the coach.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.