Biggest weight changes in past 4 yrs.

daddio

Just like seeing how these kids grow over the years,

I know my son Austin Mccloskey started out at 135 as a freshman, then 152 as a sophomore, 160 as a junior, and will be at 182 as a senior. That's 6 weight class jumps over his high school career, does that seem average, above average, just wanting to get some thoughts.

Brian Harvey started at 106 and ended up winning state at 160 last year. That's a pretty big weight jump.

that's probably the biggest jump I have heard, just makes ya wonder how much weight some of these kids are really cuttin. I know Austins freshman yr it was hell!!! Since then, he will not cut but only a few pounds. This year will be fun to see where everyone ends up.

that's probably the biggest jump I have heard, just makes ya wonder how much weight some of these kids are really cuttin. I know Austins freshman yr it was hell!!! Since then, he will not cut but only a few pounds. This year will be fun to see where everyone ends up.

Best of luck to Austin in his senior year. His match with Hughes at state surprised me and he was clearly the aggressor in the championship match.

Best of luck to Austin in his senior year. His match with Hughes at state surprised me and he was clearly the aggressor in the championship match.

thanks man, he is working out hard, gettin big, and very strong. Purdue has got him wrestling super aggressive, he isn't being very nice about it either, I dont see him settling for anything less then a state title! And thanks for the the kind words!!

Former Ohio State All American Ed Potokar had the biggest weight jump I saw in high school

Fr-105 state champ

So-119 3rd place

Jr-155 state champ

Sr-167 state champ

Ed was an AA at 177 for the Buckeyes.

3 time Ohio State Champ Luke Fickell-now the Defensive Coordinator for Ohio State also made a big jump

Fr-160 DNP

So-189 State Champ

Jr-Hvy State Champ

Sr-Hvy State Champ

Brian Harvey started at 106 and ended up winning state at 160 last year. That's a pretty big weight jump.

I remember a wrestler from Eastside went from 103 his Freshman year to 160 is Sophomore year.

If I remember right, there was a kid named Stahl from Elkhart Memorial that was around 145 as a sophomore, quit for a year because of the weight cut, then came back to win a title at 189 his senior year.

He actually wrestled junior year. He sat out the first part of his senior year, but came back partway through the year.

He actually wrestled junior year. He sat out the first part of his senior year, but came back partway through the year.

Did weight cutting have an influence on why he sat out?  I remember that being the rumor at the time, and with how much he jumped up it seemed to make sense.

"He actually wrestled junior year. He sat out the first part of his senior year, but came back partway through the year."

"Did weight cutting have an influence on why he sat out?  I remember that being the rumor at the time, and with how much he jumped up it seemed to make sense."

Weigh GAINING was why I sat out! Having torn up my knees on the mat and never really focusing on strength my off season of Junior Year was a big eye opener. Not to mention having my first knee surgery 7 weeks after my dads didn't leave me too eager to get back on the mat. After a hard season of cutting I was walking around 165. The results I saw from diet and training gave me (what i thought) was a good reason to keep that going instead of wrestling.

After a couple weeks of the season went by I couldn't take it anymore. Got back on the mat with only 1 stipulation "I don't care about my weight/class, I just want to wrestle, since I'm here I'll do my best". Who knew that's the kind of mindset needed to win state!

And for the RUMORS...

I averaged 176 that year and was even lighter the day of state. I averaged an 11-15 LB increase each year from freshman to junior year. With a solid training program and diet I added an extra 6-10 LB gain senior year (hard to say exactly with the extra body fat what was 'real muscle')

I completely understand how stories like those on this post lead to rumors. I am disappointed that kids (and parents) have access to substances they shouldn't and don't take the time to 1) educate themselves and 2) do things right. I will always be grateful to the sport of wrestling and am happy to work with wrestlers on a regular basis who educate themselves and do things right! 

"He actually wrestled junior year. He sat out the first part of his senior year, but came back partway through the year."

"Did weight cutting have an influence on why he sat out?  I remember that being the rumor at the time, and with how much he jumped up it seemed to make sense."

Weigh GAINING was why I sat out! Having torn up my knees on the mat and never really focusing on strength my off season of Junior Year was a big eye opener. Not to mention having my first knee surgery 7 weeks after my dads didn't leave me too eager to get back on the mat. After a hard season of cutting I was walking around 165. The results I saw from diet and training gave me (what i thought) was a good reason to keep that going instead of wrestling.

After a couple weeks of the season went by I couldn't take it anymore. Got back on the mat with only 1 stipulation "I don't care about my weight/class, I just want to wrestle, since I'm here I'll do my best". Who knew that's the kind of mindset needed to win state!

And for the RUMORS...

I averaged 176 that year and was even lighter the day of state. I averaged an 11-15 LB increase each year from freshman to junior year. With a solid training program and diet I added an extra 6-10 LB gain senior year (hard to say exactly with the extra body fat what was 'real muscle')

I completely understand how stories like those on this post lead to rumors. I am disappointed that kids (and parents) have access to substances they shouldn't and don't take the time to 1) educate themselves and 2) do things right. I will always be grateful to the sport of wrestling and am happy to work with wrestlers on a regular basis who educate themselves and do things right!

Wasn't trying to badmouth you or perpetuate any rumors, was just legitimately curious.  Pretty impressive accomplishment to make such a big jump and win a title, especially giving up weight like you did.  And as a Fort Wayne-area wrestler at the time, it was definitely exciting to see someone represent the semi-state well at the state level.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.