Next years rankings

I don't know enough about Broukal, Fleener, Denton or Miller. But I don't see the others at 120# next season.

yeah i hear ya but it seems everyone is still of the mindset that the lower the weight is you wrestle, the better you'll do......so we are still seeing these kids cut hard to get the weight down......no doubt it would be better to not be so depleted but yet they still push those boundaries......none the less that 120-126-132 range is gonna be exciting......i havent seen forrest glougoski mentioned anywhere in here.......i think he will be up there also.....

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LaHue looked huge at ISWA, 120 would be a decent cut.

Often times you are on here commenting on how much a kid is cutting or how "huge" a kid is, insinuating a huge cut.  I know you're just a kid who I think graduated last year.  However, making these kinds of comments really isn't benefitting anyone, regardless if they are factual.  There are IHSAA weight cutting guidelines and, maybe without knowing it, you're really shining a spotlight on kids who may be beyond the boundaries of those rules.  I think you crossed the boundary awhile back when you named a kid and then started talking about his his preseason weight from last year.  People know when a kid is "sawing a leg off" to make weight just by looking at him.  They don't need someone on a public forum bringing attention to it as well.

I am not saying anyone is breaking any rules but are you suggesting we just keep quiet about kids cutting too much weight and not following the weight loss guidelines?

You want to call kids out about skirting the cutting guidelines on this board?

In response to Bailey Lahue losing weight or his size, I know him and talk to him.  He is a hard worker and knows how to manage his weight, he would be one of the last people to be concerned about skirting the rules.  As far as at ISWA, I talked to him immediately after weigh-ins and he was not seriously cutting for that tournament to go 132.  If you remember 132 was one tough weight class and he wanted to wrestle those guys.

I only care about what my kids are doing but if some one is saying a kids is cutting a lot of weight on here he has the right to do so. Now if he is complaing about it being unfair and calling shenanigans is one thing but he is just stating the obvious. More power to him. We all have a rules to follow and if a coach allows his kid to break those rules its his choice. If someone calls him out on it he could risk consequences. Will I come on here and say a kid is cuttinig too much weight no, but its not immoral for a guy to come here and say a kid is huge or making big cuts, like you said people already know it. As long as he is following the certification and weight loss rules, no problem who cares. If they arn't its a risk they take. You can cut a TON of weight and still follow the rules. Pointing out that someone is cutting a lot shouldnt be a bad thing just a fact. I dont think Caleb has any sinister intentions, just talking about wrestling like any fan would. 

I only care about what my kids are doing but if some one is saying a kids is cutting a lot of weight on here he has the right to do so. Now if he is complaing about it being unfair and calling shenanigans is one thing but he is just stating the obvious. More power to him. We all have a rules to follow and if a coach allows his kid to break those rules its his choice. If someone calls him out on it he could risk consequences. Will I come on here and say a kid is cuttinig too much weight no, but its not immoral for a guy to come here and say a kid is huge or making big cuts, like you said people already know it. As long as he is following the certification and weight loss rules, no problem who cares. If they arn't its a risk they take. You can cut a TON of weight and still follow the rules. Pointing out that someone is cutting a lot shouldnt be a bad thing just a fact. I dont think Caleb has any sinister intentions, just talking about wrestling like any fan would.

Don't believe he's sinister either, just a bit immature in the stuff he brings attention to on this board re weight cutting.  I'm all for following the rules as well, I just think how much a kid cuts is his decision and if he's breaking the rules (and many of them do and if you don't believe me I've got some swamp land in Florida to talk to you about) then an opposing coach will notify the proper authorities based on visual evidence, not what is being said on a public board. 

In my humble opinion the kids are what we should be worried about when it comes to cutting weight. We all know that there are coaches out there who push kids to cut weight for the "betterment" of the kid. I, for one, am of the mindset that kids should wrestle their "true weight" when at all possible. Cutting weight is a horrible part of this sport. when I wrestled back in the stone ages I was forced to either wrestle hwt weighing 225 or cutting to 185 to make the next weight down (showing my age lol). My son to this point has never cut more than 4 pounds to make a weight class that he had wrestled for the year. Yes he is just an incoming freshman, could he be a monster two weight classes down? Probably but I would rather he enjoy the sport and do well. (yes he is making the Daytona trip and fargo trip as a first year eighth grade cadet). Again just my opinion but we might see some more exciting matches if the kids weren't wrung out before they step on the mat.

Isn't that the kind of stuff any fan would discuss though? So I guess I dont see how its immature. If I was discussing this at a tournament or Bankers Life with a group of fans would that be wrong? I dunno either way the fact that this the conversation we are at shows its the offseason. 5 more months.

Often times you are on here commenting on how much a kid is cutting or how "huge" a kid is, insinuating a huge cut.  I know you're just a kid who I think graduated last year.  However, making these kinds of comments really isn't benefitting anyone, regardless if they are factual.  There are IHSAA weight cutting guidelines and, maybe without knowing it, you're really shining a spotlight on kids who may be beyond the boundaries of those rules.  I think you crossed the boundary awhile back when you named a kid and then started talking about his his preseason weight from last year.  People know when a kid is "sawing a leg off" to make weight just by looking at him.  They don't need someone on a public forum bringing attention to it as well.

i think you're making a lot more of his comment than what it was meant to be......i've seen many many more posts in the past from others that are more accusing versus what was just a comment about a kid looking big..........

I'm not sure I understand why anyone thinks weight cutting discussion is "taboo", kinda puzzles me. So what if 1 or 20 people/fans/coaches are discussing a certain wrestler or wrestlers that look big for the weight. I'm having trouble understanding how this is in anyway an issue for anyone? Everyone knows it's a big part of the sport, and that allot of kids do it. It's a choice every wrestler has to make, IMO is over rated. So why should it only be discussed in private? And why would someone want it hidden if they are within the rules. Interesting... for the toughest sport on earth there certainly seem to be some thin skin on this...

The only ones I could see at 120 are Micic and Miller. Maybe Wilson if Micic goes 126 and he doesn't want to go 132.

Back on topic.. I'm gonna say Micic goes 126. 80% sure on that one...

Back on topic.. I'm gonna say Micic goes 126. 80% sure on that one...

If he's just looking for another title I'm sure he will go whatever weight class he happens to be at.  However, I'm guessing he sets his goals a little beyond that and is still looking for whatever extra prep time he can get before college.  In that case I'd say he would move to where ever the best individual match-ups are for him on Hanover's schedule.  This probably would mean occasionally moving a weight class throughout the year, as long as it doesn't mess up the team.  While he's not going to get tons of close matches at any weight I'd say some extra competition is better than just running over less experienced opponents. Then come the state tournament settle into the weight class that seemed to offer the best competition.

If he's just looking for another title I'm sure he will go whatever weight class he happens to be at.  However, I'm guessing he sets his goals a little past that and is still looking for whatever extra prep time he can get before college.  In that case I'd say he would he would try to go where ever the best match-ups are for him based on his teams schedule.  This probably would mean occasionally moving a weight throughout the year if it doesn't mess up the team.  While he's not going to get tons of close matches at any weight I'd say some extra competition is better than just running over an opponent. Then come the state tournament settle into the weight class that seemed to offer the best competition.

I agree 100%. In conversation seems like he want to get ready for the next level asap. 126# offers the best opportunity for that. I really think you'll see him at 132# more than at 120#

I'm not sure I understand why anyone thinks weight cutting discussion is "taboo", kinda puzzles me. So what if 1 or 20 people/fans/coaches are discussing a certain wrestler or wrestlers that look big for the weight. I'm having trouble understanding how this is in anyway an issue for anyone? Everyone knows it's a big part of the sport, and that allot of kids do it. It's a choice every wrestler has to make, IMO is over rated. So why should it only be discussed in private? And why would someone want it hidden if they are within the rules. Interesting... for the toughest sport on earth there certainly seem to be some thin skin on this...

bingo.

Its nothing bad about the kids, it's looking at next years weight from a realistic stand point. Most wrestlers perform better without "sawing a leg off" and as high school progresses they start realizing it more. But I definitely understand where you're coming from and wasn't intentionally trying to bring bad attention to any of the kids. I apologize if I offended anyone by talking about preseason weights, shouldn't have shared that. From now on, I'll keep my opinions on how tough it might be for a wrestler to make a certain weight or not.

And by the way, I have yet to graduate. Still have one year left.

Its nothing bad about the kids, it's looking at next years weight from a realistic stand point. Most wrestlers perform better without "sawing a leg off" and as high school progresses they start realizing it more. But I definitely understand where you're coming from and wasn't intentionally trying to bring bad attention to any of the kids. I apologize if I offended anyone by talking about preseason weights, shouldn't have shared that. From now on, I'll keep my opinions on how tough it might be for a wrestler to make a certain weight or not.

And by the way, I have yet to graduate. Still have one year left.

no need to apologize about what you said.....there was absolutely nothing wrong with it......if people are offended by such a simple statement then they should stay off the board because that is what this board is all about......talking about high school wrestling which is people giving their opinions......i sure didn't think what you said was bad mouthing or pointing out someone doing something wrong.....

You can cut a TON of weight and still follow the rules.

Regardless of whether or not people should bring up wrestlers' weights on the message board (a topic I'm not really interested in), I don't think this statement is true, at least in the 106-145 range.  The whole point of the rules regarding weight cutting are to make sure kids aren't cutting a ton of weight.

what about the kids that wrestle up 20-25lbs?    studs or not?    talk amost yourselves and let us know.

I'll let you know now without a discussion.  The # of guys that wrestle 20 to 25 pounds above their weight class is so infinitesimally small that they aren't even worth discussing in regards to this topic. 

I read most of the posts and never saw Jason Crary.  He will be on the podium.  Great kid and hard worker.

no doubt......one tough kid.....my son wrestled him a few years back and even at his younger age was a handful on the mat......

In response to Bailey Lahue losing weight or his size, I know him and talk to him.  He is a hard worker and knows how to manage his weight, he would be one of the last people to be concerned about skirting the rules.  As far as at ISWA, I talked to him immediately after weigh-ins and he was not seriously cutting for that tournament to go 132.  If you remember 132 was one tough weight class and he wanted to wrestle those guys.

i don't think he was being accused of skirting any rules.....the comment was more of a compliment than anything......who would't want to look huge/big/solid/ripped/giant or whatever you want to call it at your weight class?......the visual effect is always intimidating to your opponent......besides the fact that a lot of kids just train harder and get in better shape, and can handle the cut not only physically but mentally as opposed to those who cannot.....anyone who complains about weight cutting is wasting their breath......its a part of wrestling and more than likely always will be.....i don't truly agree that everyone should cut weight to get as low as possible, but also don't think that that shouldn't try to lean out per say, and you also have to take into consideration that every kid is different in what he can do.....so to all of you kids who others think look huge at your weight, all the more power to you!

I didn't take the comments on Bailey as negative, but a lot of people take silence the wrong way.  I just wanted to clarify and I know the his family doesn't get involved on this site much, he just lets his wrestling do the talking.  We actually wrestle against them during the season and I have always enjoyed his matches.  I just try to defend the kids from southern Indiana as much as I can.

Also, I agree more power to the kids who do the work to be bigger than the rest in their weight class.

I have only seen a couple of people talking about it but you can't overlook the Mooresville Regional.  DJ Smith (Franklin), Brock Hudkins (Danville), Tyler Fleener (Center Grove), Bailey Schober (Greenwood), Hunter Fox (Cascade), Elliot Molloy (Danville), Brian Rassbach (Avon), Zach Batts (Cascade), Jacob Stevenson (Franklin), Autry Pickens (Danville), Rudy Harris (South Putnam), Connor Tolley (Franklin), Randy Scott (Mooresville), Ben Schoolcraft (Martinsville), another big kid, Michael Patrole (Franklin), and my bestest of the bestest.....Norman Oglesby (Ben Davis).  This is one of the best regionals in the state and look forward to another great year of wrestling.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.