Local vs Out of State

Fabio Jr.

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the imporatance one is supposed to sell? I must not have recieved my pamphlet?

That's the attitude that got wrestling out of Olympics ,being a versitle wrestler different styles makes for a better wrestler.Yes clubs-coaches should sell the importance for wrestling fs and greco to new wrestlers and parents if your not doing this your hurting the sport period .

Thats why? because In America a different style is more popular? Man I guess we are the greatest country on earth if we have that kind of power.

All I'm saying is coaches have a responsibility to teach all styles and yes promote fs and greco the original styles of wrestling if we want to be amongst the worlds best if you like limitations and mediocrity yes then just stick to the HS folkstyle.Tell me are you teaching your wrestlers the difference between HS folkstyle and college. folkstyle or is that a waist of your time to?

Who, if anybody, was an IHSAA state champ (215/220 and below) that never went to Fargo or even paprticipated much in the ISWA FS/Greco state tournaments?  I'm not being a d-bag asking this question, I really want to know.  When guys are being introduced for the finals it seems that the majority of them own some ISWA titles in something other than folk style. 

My responsibilty as a high school coach is to promote the lessons that wrestling teaches as well as do what I can to  help my kids accomplish the goals they set while in my hands (get to/place at/win State and  wrestle in college). From there they can do as they please. If that means  we go to a folkstyle tournement over freestyle\greco I'll do it. You want to promote freestyle you have to make it worthwhile for kids, right now its not. 

My responsibilty as a high school coach is to promote the lessons that wrestling teaches as well as do what I can to  help my kids accomplish the goals they set while in my hands (get to/place at/win State and  wrestle in college). From there they can do as they please. If that means  we go to a folkstyle tournement over freestyle\greco I'll do it. You want to promote freestyle you have to make it worthwhile for kids, right now its not.

I guess if you have wrestlers that want to do a lot of freestyle and greco they have to look for somewhere else to practice then is that what your saying so if you have a kid who wants to wrestle every fs and greco tour they can to better themselves, they have to find a coach that will go and help them to progress. What your saying is while top clubs are coaching fs and greco your being one domentional and sticking to folkstyle. Your wrestlers will never be open to other styles if the coaches are not. So does your wrestlers know tilts and things of that nature that is done in freestyle. but you need in your arsenal. for college. ride time ext.

Who, if anybody, was an IHSAA state champ (215/220 and below) that never went to Fargo or even paprticipated much in the ISWA FS/Greco state tournaments?  I'm not being a d-bag asking this question, I really want to know.  When guys are being introduced for the finals it seems that the majority of them own some ISWA titles in something other than folk style.

Wilson from WC is the only one i can think of or am I wrong.I agree you have to get all aspects of wrestling to be a top guy just practicing folkstyle all year will not cut it and I could see numbers falling for sure. The numbers will jump back up in fs and greco if coaches push for it evidently we are loosing coaches that are versital in wrestling

I guess if you have wrestlers that want to do a lot of freestyle and greco they have to look for somewhere else to practice then is that what your saying so if you have a kid who wants to wrestle every fs and greco tour they can to better themselves, they have to find a coach that will go and help them to progress. What your saying is while top clubs are coaching fs and greco your being one domentional and sticking to folkstyle. Your wrestlers will never be open to other styles if the coaches are not. So does your wrestlers know tilts and things of that nature that is done in freestyle. but you need in your arsenal. for college. ride time ext.

Where are these kids? We dont have them. We had a coaching staff that did all that you have said needs to be done and low and behold 2-5 highschool guys show up. Currently anywhere between 4-7 little kids show up for practice.  Since we took over we have done 98% folkstyle and still have 30+ highschool and 10-15 middle school wrestlers showing up for offseason workouts. But we do have guys that have a pretty nice tilt (dont know how that is a freestyle only move and you can only do it if you know freestyle but whatever.)

There is literally a month of Freestyle and Greco. In that month the most competitive in state tournment by FAR is freestyle state. then you have Fargo or Kids Nationals. both of which cost a couple thousand to attend...(not sure on kids but fargo isnt cheap) hopefully you get your moneys worth.

We are able to send a team to the Militia Duals and that will cost our kids less than $200 for15 guarenteed matches. As long as tournments like this exist, freestyle will die. What do most people do when freestyle state is over? Do they continue to train it? Do the highschools? Or do the teams preparing for Disney Duals start doing that.  You want to make freestyle a big deal? Make Disney a Freestyle Tournment, Super 32- Freestyle tournment, FloNationals - Freestyle Tournament, the Indiana Mat PreSeason - Freestyle. Unless freestyle is the only offered offseason competition it will remain 2nd behind folkstyle. Once that happens more people would have to focus on it to stay with the competition, then they would have to go to local tournements to refine that. Currently you dont have to do all that to have success you can Train in mostly folkstyle and still be competitive at freestyle. Will you win Fargo probably not, but you will have as good a shot as any to win an NCAA title, A Senior National Title, A State Title, etc.

Case in point Jordan Burroughs...like I stated earlier he never wrestled at Fargo (At least according Track Wrestling) yet he was extrememley successful in college and now internationally. It is because he was a good wrestler period. Not because he took a month or 2 to focus only on freestyle. He put the time in and was a good WRESTLER. 

Wilson from WC is the only one i can think of or am I wrong.I agree you have to get all aspects of wrestling to be a top guy just practicing folkstyle all year will not cut it and I could see numbers falling for sure. The numbers will jump back up in fs and greco if coaches push for it evidently we are loosing coaches that are versital in wrestling

Deondre Wilson lost to Hayden Lee at freestyle state last year.

Also from the information available in track wrestling jordan burroughs never wrestled at fargo or duals

1. That doesn't mean he didn't do state or local tournaments

2. My guess is he was exposed to it at some point in high school or below as he made the Junior World team as a true freshman.

Well I hope the numbers grow for you guys Im a huge Brownsburg supporter half my family is from Brownsburg.Best of luck to you guys,have you tried going to the youth football and trying to draw kids i.You expecially have it hard there cause Brownsburg has always been a baseball and basketball town keep tryin to get the kids to come out it will payoff.Best of luck

From this year's finalists that I do not recall at freestyle state the past year

Pepple- Did Greco however

Welch

Martsolf

Blanton

McCloskey

Allen

Garland

All the champs either were at freestyle state or Fargo

Champs

Kral

Hall

Runner-ups

Batt

Robinson

Schaeffer

Berry

Gallegos

*Off the top of my head, may be wrong on a couple

To much division in wrestling, other sports don't compare  [team sport/individual sport]. To many smart ass people that think their funny, can't even keep on subject. With olympics out of the picture folkstyle should be our focus. Adding to that 99.99% percent of the kids that wrestle would never end up in any kind of international competition. If the ihsaa sees your teaching freestyle in the rtc they set up to try to get rid of freestyle they would throw a tantrem. They were ment to appease the need for offseason ihsaa folkstyle work, right? Them other countrys can wrestle what ever style they want but if the come to the U.S of A, they need to learn folkstyle we have football they have soccer.Only the elitiest think we need forty different styles because they don't want to do what the average wrestler is doing, trend setters. Just like the different shoes and singlets they pour thousands of dollars into every year,can't look like average johnny. I plead with any parent or coach with enough money to buy their child all this crap to save it, pick up a akid that dont have the funds and take him to the wrestling room mentor him or her into wrestling not just one night but everytime you take your kid to a room be it a rtc or an elitiest room pick them up,coach him in the car on the ride not just about wrestling but about life. I f you go to your elitiest room and the coach says that he can't be on his mat because they havent paid then theres your answer to why  the sport will DIE. just like in life if you take from the average johnny  to pay for champion joe's pretty singlet you wont have johnnys to wrestle.Coaches- Ifa kid makes an effort to learn wrestling your first comment to him should not be, as your looking down the end of your nose; well johnny get your mom and dad to by you some shoes($100),a singlet($100) buy a usa card($40) oh and by the way membership to my wrestling room is ($100) a month which is used to send our elite  group to hawaii to wrestle.{usually the coaches son and his favorite sparring partner}. Just get a pair of your sons elite group shoes and tell him if you want to learn i want to teach. Johnny probably dont have parents or money.  Quit running kids off because they dont have nothing for you right know ,coach them and grow them, treat them all equal, work with your worst 5 or 6 kids even if it is baby steps and your room will grow with them. The best ones don't need your attenton they get it already ,coat tail riding your best wrestler to the state tournment does nothing for your team, room or wrestling in general .In fact it tells everyone else you really dont care about teaching the sport you just want to ride the elites to glory at everyone elses expense, kids and parents will walk away.  Just like our government take from th poor and cater o the rich it dont work! sry just a rant. Dont be an  eliteist be a mentor. Just a rant hoping to grow the  sport of wrestling.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.