Boston Marathon Bombing Suspect a MA State Champ...

http://boston.com/metrodesk/2013/04/19/cambridge-wrestling-coach-recalls-dzhokhar-tsarnaev-dedicated-kid/WjY1NDVadrsVFI2IhyHsLI/story.html

Cambridge wrestling coach recalls Dzhokhar Tsarnaev as ‘dedicated kid’

Peter Payack, the assistant wrestling coach at Cambridge Rindge and Latin School, said Dzhokhar Tsarnaev wrestled on the team for three years and was captain for two years and a Greater Boston League all-star.

Though he had graduated from Rindge, Tsarnaev came back to wrestle with the team in February, he said.

“He was a dedicated kid, and all the kids loved him,” Payack said. “We only name captains who are good, but who also gain respect from his fellow wrestlers. He had to be a leader, and he had all those qualities. He was one of my guys.”

Payack said the wrestling team thinks of itself as a family and there was nothing amiss about Dzhokhar, whose name is pronounced JA-har.

“Everybody loved him,” Payack said. “He wasn’t a loner, the complete opposite. … He seemed like one of the most well-adjusted kids on the team. He seemed like he didn’t have any problems. He did his work, came out and became a captain.”

In a public high school that prides itself on its diversity, “he got along with all the different groups on the team,” Payack said.

“He never talked about being a Muslim. We’re in Cambridge. We have a completely diverse team. So nobody talked about religion,” Payack said. “He was just one of us.”

“We never saw his mother or father and never saw his brother,” Payack said. “He just came back to wrestle with us in February. I mean, he said, he went to UMass and he was studying some sort of engineering and he came back and wrestled, and he was joking with everyone.

“Never in a million years did [we] expect anything like this,” Payack said. “He never talked about violence or anything. Some of the kids say, ‘I’m going to beat you up or something like that.’ He just did his work and was a good student.”

Payack, who has run the Boston Marathon 24 times and often wears his blue-and-yellow Marathon jacket, said he was particularly saddened that Dzhokar would target the race.

“It was like a bomb going off in my heart this morning because he’s one of our wrestlers. I said ‘That guy looks like my guy.’ ”

Ashraful Rahman, a Rindge senior and friend of Dzhokhar, described the alleged bomber as “just a normal guy, very chillaxed, and very laid back.”

He and Dzhokhar wrestled on the Rindge team together, hung out together at Dana Park in Cambridge and attended the same mosque, the Islamic Society of Boston, in Cambridge.

“We just chilled out man, just average teenagers,” Rahman said. “He never stated that he was against the government or for anarchy or anything.”

Rahman said Dzhokhar mentored him on the wrestling team.

“I looked up to Dzhokhar because he won states his second year. Seeing this, it’s like seeing one of your heroes and finding a flaw in one of them,” he said.

Dzhokhar did not have a girlfriend, he said.

Rahman said the last time he saw Dzhokhar was on Ramadan in 2012, at the Islamic Society. “He said ‘what’s up’ to me,” Rahman said. “He seemed peaceful, actually.”

Essah Chisholm, 17, a senior at Rindge and member of the wrestling team, said the coaches would tell funny stories about how people would mispronounce Dzhokhar’s name.

“He seemed pretty nice, pretty normal person; he was always smiling,” Chisholm said. “Everything is pretty shocking.”

John Allan, owner of Wai Kru Mixed Martial Arts Boston, said the older brother, Tamerlan, was an accomplished amateur boxer, competing in the national Golden Gloves competition.

“He was the best boxer in Boston,” said Allan, who remembers helping in a competition three years ago. “He smoked all the professionals.”

Allan said Tamerlan was trained by his father, who was also a skilled boxer. And he was always respectful. “They were an incredible family....This was so shocking to me.”

But Tamerlan hadn’t been to the Wai Kru Mixed Martial Arts center in years, instead going to another nearby boxing gym. Until this month. Allan, who is currently traveling in Thailand, got an e-mail within the past week saying Tsarnaev showed up at the gym acting rude and disrespectful, using other people’s equipment, walking on the mats with his shoes.

“It was a clear indication that something was up,” Allan said, noting that (Tamerlan) Tsarnaev hadn’t even been to his gym before the incident in years. “He was becoming a complete [expletive].

“It was completely out of place of place for him,” said Allan, who was also contacted by the FBI about Tamerlan.

He also said he thought that the older brother did so well in the Golden Gloves several years ago that he could have qualified for the US Olympic trials, but that he may not have been eligible because of a paperwork problem.

Allan said Tamerlan mainly boxed at the Cambridge-Somerville Boxing Club, which he thought used the YMCA facility in Central Square in Cambridge.

Tamerlan, who boxed at 196 pounds, studied at Bunker Hill Community College and wanted to become an engineer. He attended the school part time for three semesters, from 2006 to 2008, according to the school.

In the photo essay, called “Will Box for Passport,” Tamerlan stops to answer a phone call while walking from his Mercedes to the martial arts center. He has a long wool scarf wrapped fashionably around his neck and gleaming white leather slip-on shoes and is carrying an Oceanfly dufflebag.

He said in the essay that he quit smoking and drinking. “God said no alcohol.” A Muslim, he says, “There are no values any more,” and worries that “people can’t control themselves.”

oh boy.....what do you say to this?......great if he was a wrestler and a good guy "back then"......but if he is in fact guilty of what happened in boston......i hope he and his brother end up in hell being tortured for eternity......no excuse for what he did if in fact he did it......and i guess you can say innocent until proven guilty but if he and his brother are not guilty, why did they kill a police officer, steal a vehicle and have a shootout with the police?......must be guilty of something.......

and by the way, i was being as nice as possible so that wouldn't be removed......i could sure say a lot more......not only about these scums of the earth but about our government who lets most of this happen by having laws that are so slack, penalties that are so weak, and no morals when it comes to doing what is right, that i could write a book when i get going.......i hope someday the people of our country band together, wake up and take back what is ours.......i wonder how many people in boston wish the government had already taken our guns away?.......what has this country become?......it's truly sad........

Recent reports I'm seeing say he made it to state rather than won it.  The early reporter may have miss quoted the coach on the suspects accomplishments.

New CNN report

"He was named student athlete of the month and made the state playoffs."

Either way at least they got the guy and hopefully that ends any further threat. 

This is the governments fault?

seriously?......do you REALLY think our laws are even remotely tuff enough to make people think twice about what they do?......how about we go back to hammoribies (spelled right?) code.....an eye for an eye, a tooth for a tooth?......lets make the crime and the punishment match.....this is a MAJOR gov't problem......our laws are total bullish!t......they are so weak, our borders are wide open, anyone can come here.....homeland security is weak at best.....try this is china, or mexico or russia.....you will be dusted off in no time......if you can even get there to stay in the first place.....and don't get me wrong, i am not for turning the USA into a communist or dictatorship type of place......but, what we are doing now is not working......our democratic 2 party system is nothing but a joke.....nothing ever gets decided and agreed on......it's just a battle that is drawn along party lines.....when is the last time anything that made sense was actually agreed on by both parties?......hardly ever.....but hey we are the land of the free..... freedom of everything.....do whatever you want.....who makes these decisions?........in the end, not the people....it's our great gov't.......you love 'em, you got 'em bud.......vote for whoever you want it won't matter......line their pockets and you'll get their vote.......how about this.....put ted nugent in charge and i bet we'll have less of this sh!t......radical?......yep it is but we are getting to the point that this is was we need......obama sure isn't getting the job done......let's toughen up!.....or we can all can suck a$$ with the current system that gets us nowhere......take your choice......

I believe this young man was influenced by his major roll modle his older brother. I'm not justifying anything this KID has done but sounds like he was a great kid his whole life till this point. I want to know the whole story before judging this young man.

I believe this young man was influenced by his major roll modle his older brother. I'm not justifying anything this KID has done but sounds like he was a great kid his whole life till this point. I want to know the whole story before judging this young man.

try telling that to the families of the 4 people he murdered......

try telling that to the families of the 4 people he murdered......

Man I already deleted one of my replies... Relax man... So an eye for an eye? How many people have been wrongfully prosecuted over the yrs? How many are put to death and tortured in China, and other countries you mentioned for being political adversaries of the govt? You scream of stripping people of their rights then say not like communism or dictatorship. But what are you are demanding would start the slippery slope to that.

We are all upset rt now, but take some deep breaths and count to ten.

Think about it if the kid was so violent don't you think he would of shot the guy that spotted him in the boat?I don't know but yes this is America and we have a judicial system in place to decide his fate. Like I said I would like to know all the FACTS. The people all dancing in the streets was equally sad to see.There were no winner's in this.

Man I already deleted one of my replies... Relax man... So an eye for an eye? How many people have been wrongfully prosecuted over the yrs? How many are put to death and tortured in China, and other countries you mentioned for being political adversaries of the govt? You scream of stripping people of their rights then say not like communism or dictatorship. But what are you are demanding would start the slippery slope to that.

We are all upset rt now, but take some deep breaths and count to ten.

Well said... this isn't the best subject for this board. I'm sure China and Russias laws are more strick. But I'm very sure I'd rather live here. Our laws clearly need tweak, but I'm no where near saying China and Russia are better in any way. We have to balance in a little thing called freedom that doesn't exist in China or Russia. I'm not willing to sacrafice my freedom and I'm sure the victims families would say the same,

Just an opinion but if we could somehow make prison a "hard labor" type of situation again with chain gangs, no TV, no a/c, 3 basic simple meals per day and no fun stuff to do at all, it wouldn't take long to get around on the street to all of these thugs and gang bangers that prison isn't cool or easy anymore.  It sure as heck wouldn't hurt to bring back punishment in the schools again other than just sit down little Johnny or we might have to tell your mom and dad to put you on Ritalin, put the paddle back in the teachers' hand and the student will once again learn to respect their teachers and become disciplined again (remember those days?  Didn't hurt any of us).  One more thing, it sure wouldn't hurt to let God back into our schools again either. 

Guys while these are all possibilities for stopping some criminal activities, we do have to realize this situation wasn't a regular crime.  These guys planned a bombing that they knew would hurt or kill lots of people v they knew the punishment for being caught was death or a life sentence going into it (as it has been since we were a British colony).  So no change in the basic criminal system over the last 250 years helped or hurt there decision.  Plus, with no real prior US criminal record no change would have keep them in jail sooner to prevent this.  The only thing we could have done in this case was be more vigilant and as mentioned before that avenue does come with it some possible government oversight not all American citizens are comfortable with. 

Just an opinion but if we could somehow make prison a "hard labor" type of situation again with chain gangs, no TV, no a/c, 3 basic simple meals per day and no fun stuff to do at all, it wouldn't take long to get around on the street to all of these thugs and gang bangers that prison isn't cool or easy anymore.  It sure as heck wouldn't hurt to bring back punishment in the schools again other than just sit down little Johnny or we might have to tell your mom and dad to put you on Ritalin, put the paddle back in the teachers' hand and the student will once again learn to respect their teachers and become disciplined again (remember those days?  Didn't hurt any of us).  One more thing, it sure wouldn't hurt to let God back into our schools again either.

agree on all accounts.....as each year passes, our gov't allows more and more things to become weak.....what other country gives unemployment benefits and social security benefits to illegal aliens?......or even allows them to be in their country?......and when i reference china and russia in no way i am saying we should be just like them......they are the extreme in many cases......but toughening up our laws is needed dearly if we are going to continue to be a good place to live.....

Were these two illegal immigrants receiving govt aid.

i couldn't tell you if they were or not, nor can i tell you if the were legal or illegal......but that has nothing to do with what they did nor did i ever reference that was the case......

Wow.  I don't know where to begin with what I have read in this thread.  I know a lost cause when I see one.  I fall on MattM's side of thinking and I'll leave it at that.

As for the two suspects in this crime, the one that is alive is a full fledged American citizen.  He can do everything ever other American can do except become President of the US (not born a citizen).

The other suspect (the dead one) is not a U.S. citizen but was legal.  He had applied for citizenship but had not yet had it approved.

The responsibility of this crime lies with the perpetrators and whatever ideology led them towards their actions.  Let's not lose site of that.

Also, the surviving suspect will likely be charged in Federal court and will be convicted and sentenced to death.  The only way he avoids that sentence is if he helps the Feds catch co-conspirators.  Then he will only spend the rest of his life in prison with no possibility of parole.

O so it would make the same amount of sense for me to rant about my hatred of lima beans in this thread as it does for you to rant about illegal aliens?

you can rant about whatever you want to rant about......i could really care less and if you don't like my rants then read a different one......how difficult is that?.......i just happen to care about the direction our country is heading in and it's not the right way......but we do share the same hatred of lima beans......my mom used to force me to eat them little nasty things......don't get me ranting about that!......lol

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.