2013 Scholastic Duals - Great Event!

I would like to thank John Cook, and his staff, for pulling off a wonderful tournament this past week-end at the NWCA/USA Wrestling Scholastic Duals.  Coach Anderson, and the Wabash wrestlers, did a very nice job of setting up the facility and running the scoretables throughout the event.  Indiana's mat officials did a great job of providing top notch officiating at this very competitive event.  As usual, Chris Lynch kept those in attendance fed and watered with food that was "cooked on the spot." 

All of the teams that were present got to participate in 7 very competitive dual meets.  I love the format of this event as it places teams of equal caliber in four pools (Gold, Silver, Bronze and Copper) after the intitial pool wrestling is completed.  It makes for very competitive wrestling no matter what pool your team may fall in.

Thank you again for a great event from top to bottom.

Coach McCormick

Clint-  The Renegade teams don't really have a criteria for making the team.  Basically we wait until the IHSWCA teams are full then we go after the best kids we can get.  We try to get state medal winners if we can etc etc.  I will not lie though, there are a core group of coaches who have worked very hard to put the Renegade teams together each year and we do place our kids on the teams if we can.....if they are good enough to wrestle in this event.  This event can be brutal on a wrestler who is not up to par or ready for the level of competition they are facing.  It is not for everyone.

We are ALWAYS looking for good help.  We need team leaders and asst coaches.  If you are willing to make the trek to Wabash for the weekend and help coach, and if you have wrestlers on par with the competition, there is a good chance you could have a Renegade on your hands next year.

Just contact me next year around the state finals and we can talk.

Thanks!!

Jeff Schaefer

After observing the IHSWCA teams over the past few years, and speaking with other Indiana coaches at the event this year, I plan to bring up the topic of how we select our IHSWCA teams at the spring clinic for discussion.  In no way, shape or form am I saying that anyone has done anything wrong in formulating our IHSWCA teams over the years.  Envelopes are passed out to the 2 highest placing underclassmen wrestlers in each weight class at the state meet.  If wrestlers decline their position, the next highest placing wrestler is contacted about filling the spot.  It has always been carried out in a very uniform and fair manner.

The issue seems to be that wrestlers cannot (or are choosing not to) make the weight (+5 lbs) that they competed at during the IHSAA post season for the NWCA Scholastic Duals.  I still think that our teams have competed very well at this event, but what if we gave our team leader(s) more flexibility in filling our teams?  If a kid was a state champion at 113 and would commit to our NWCA team at 120 so he could make the weight, wouldn't we still want him on the team?  Or not?  I realize this "pick and choose" type of a system might open things up for favoritism, or political selections, but it might also take the handcuffs off of our team leader(s) so they can put the best possible teams together for this event.  One coach brought up a good point that the NWCA Scholastic Duals fall right around the spring break time for many athletes.  Most would agree that kids don't want to have to watch their weight while they are on spring break.

This is not a topic that is burning deeply with me.  I just thought it might warrant some further dialogue and discussion to see how others feel about the issue.  Someone out there might also have some other good ideas in how we could improve our process.  One could also make the point, "if it ain't broke; don't fix it!"  Maybe the way we are selecting the teams is indeed the best manner to get the job done.

None-the-less, it is a great event, and all five of our teams competed valiantly at this year's tournament.

Coach McCormick

The 800lb Gorillas cost $150 and received a super stylish singlet, sweats, sweatshirt, shorts and tshirt along with hotel and entry fee paid for. They also got a great meal at BW3s with the best server in the industry.

That's a pretty good deal, indeed!!! :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.