New Mat Question- Velcro

alcorntr

We just got new mats with Velcro seams for our wrestling room at Calumet College St Joespeh. It's only been about 1 month since we have had them in but they seem durable and they are effective at staying together to create a seamless feel to the mats. They are great asthetically but I would recommend them more though if you have to move the mats frequently cause they obviously eliminate mat tape expenses. Those lightweight mats with seven or more strips can use a lot more tape than the traditional mats. Only knock was that it took more people and more time to get the seams lined up perfectly but that could just be cause it was the first time we had done it. Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions.

Ryan Rivera

Interim Head Coach

Calumet College of St. Joseph

rrivera@ccsj.edu

We purchased two of them, one MS and one HS, prior to the start of this season.  Our are only used for competition instead of daily use in hopes of less wear and tear (the velcro connection points would be the weak point to worry about when transporting).  These style of flex mats means we longer have to take time to roll up and move our large wrestling room mats before and after meets.  They assemble quickly allowing more time for the team to focus on other things (and so we don't have to wait as long on basketball to get out of the way).  As mentioned connecting the velcro does take a few people and some practice to get the initial hang of but it is not to much trouble, and if you have them for awhile will save on worrying about mat tape.  As long as they are being transported, stored, and cared for correctly they should be a nice investment.

We purchased 4 new Dollamur mats last year.  We only use them for competition for a couple of reasons; they are a lot harder surface than most mats, and our practice mats are still in very good shape. I personally don't think I would want to practice on such a hard surface every day of the season.  On the other hand, they are great for completion in my opinion. As far as the Velcro goes, I am very impressed with the strength of it. I don't have any worries at all about the mats coming apart.  Will they be as strong in 10 years, I can't answer that but I will be surprised if they are not. The mats come in seven sections and unless your a heavyweight, it takes two kids to carry one section.  Very convenient to set up and break down. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.