138 lbs  Waddell 1st

155 lbs  Sarber 2nd

Spires 5th

Arnold 8th

174 lbs  Chacon 6th

192 lbs  Dobos 1st

Fisher 3rd

218 lbs  Dixon 4th

Hard to call this a national event when it was basically just three states.

The kids just go and wrestle. The parents are proud of their accomplishments whether it was 1 state or 50 states represented. The wrestlers could have easily stayed home and did nothing but I give them credit for getting on the mat. Your statement undermines what these kids did and their efforts put forth in the event, regardless of whether it was a National tourney or not.

BTW, I have no connection to any of the wrestlers that participated in this tourney. I just saw where someone posted the names of the wrestlers who earned some recognition on here and you make a statement like that. What were you hoping to accomplish? If you have a problem with the tourney, take it up with the administrators running it, not tearing down the kids. You wrestle who they put in front of you, period. The kids can't control who shows up.

I made the original post and my kid wrestled in it and I'm the first to admit it's not the toughest national tournament around.  Never claimed that it was.  Mostly kids from Michigan populate the brackets but more than a few Illinois kids are there and a couple handfuls from other states.  If Samdad (who's a knob to begin with) doesn't recognize Nuway as a legit organization, that's his issue.  If your kid isn't on a Scholastic dual team or wrestling at FloNats, then you gotta find competition somewhere and Battle Creek happens to be within 1.5 hours of my home so the decision was easy.  I just decided to post Indiana kids results because I noticed, as the day wore on, there were quite a few Indiana kids on the mats which I thought was great.  Once the tourney was done, I looked over the results and noticed a number of kids from Indiana placed so I decided to post the results.  Mat time is where it's at while it's available in the offseason.  Just trying to get in as much in as possible before it dries up and camps become the focus.

I do not know what is nationals or not. I do  know that within 6 or 7 hours from just about any spot in Indiana is some of the best wrestling in America. I just figure if you have to travel outside of that zone to get adequate competition for your kid or team well I suppose thats a "problem" most wrestling parents would like to have.

It just seems like the best wrestling around has Indiana or Ilinois at the epicenter . Except for "showcase" events or Fargo it would seem like all the wrestling anyone would ever need isn't too far from home.

What is happening to the local tournaments...seems to be an endangered species

It seems like the local tournaments don't bring in the toughest competition all the time (if a stud host club runs one, their wrestlers are busy reffing, etc, usually).  Also, depending on the size of your kid, you may only have 3 or 4 kids in a bracket at the local tournaments (my son is a Cadet 106 pounder so that's a typical issue for us when we go the the club sponsored/local tournaments).  We don't avoid going to them but we only go to stuff close to home.  Last Sunday was very worth our while as he got 5 matches in on Sunday.  I think the local tournaments are more fruitful for School Boy and below.  Just my opinion.  I'm sure there are some local tournaments that are bursting at the seams at all weight classes for all divisions but I tend to think that is the exception rather than the rule. 

So nxt yr the Madison Gauntlet will be called "The Gauntlet National Championships."

By fussing local tourneys we are hurting our state. Lots of clubs depend on that money to function.

Madison Gauntlet Nationals, finally a reason to sign up for the Veteran division (I may even AA if only 10 old people show and two default due to injury and lack of oxygen)

Along with hurting local tournament, the lack of participants feeds the reason parent/wrestlers do not re-upping participation in USA membership due to not seeing enough competition (number wise) at the events in their general area to justify the travel, time, and entry cost.  Not getting interest for these events is just further perpetuating the numbers problem we see get worse yearly. Something we as a wrestling community need to work on turning around.  But these issue are a whole complaint topic of their own. 

A local club tourney doesn't need national status to be attractive to wrestlers. We have had a USA card for years and as I've stated, we've supported tournney's within reasonable driving distance. But tell me how many parents want to drive over 100 miles one way for two matches?  I think that is the problem.  Our club used to run a tourney the weekend of semistate and it was wonderfully attended (over 400 wrestlers each time we held it) but, again, it was not that well attened by by high schoolers. I don't know the answer to the problem but don't fault high school kids for travelling out of state seeking a higher number of matches.

Why not start it right here? The whole wrestling community needs to drop this freedom to wrestle where ever you want, and establish a dictatorship! I think we should marry USAW to Trackwrestling[king and queen if you like]. The first law we should establish is if you wrestle outside our kingdom, you will be banned, if you try to reastablish under an assumed named your thrown in the shark tank at the first tourney until you cry like a baby and take a solemn vow to the TuRACKsWaREST kingdom. 2nd law erase stte lines and form 316 regions. I realize we will have to establish an army and conquer such strongholds such as the Ihsaa, iswa,oswa, etc. In most cases all we have to do is diversinary tactics.[look thers a basketball game]I think we have well trained infantry for the more rugged strongolds.[ get um boys]            more later.    P.S.  mat nation is tryin to conquer indianamat as we speak.

How Dare you SamDad belittle any wrestlers accomplishments on the mat!!  SHAME ON YOU!!!!  These KIDS went to a tournament that they had to qualify for and wrestled their hearts out!!  They earned their places at a National Tournament, that any wrestler in the country could of entered in they placed in the top 8 of their state for this wrestling association!  I for one am very proud of my sons accomplishments at NUWAY, and I thank 1oldwrestler for acknowledging them!!

I made the original post and my kid wrestled in it and I'm the first to admit it's not the toughest national tournament around.  Never claimed that it was.  Mostly kids from Michigan populate the brackets but more than a few Illinois kids are there and a couple handfuls from other states.  If Samdad (who's a knob to begin with) doesn't recognize Nuway as a legit organization, that's his issue.  If your kid isn't on a Scholastic dual team or wrestling at FloNats, then you gotta find competition somewhere and Battle Creek happens to be within 1.5 hours of my home so the decision was easy.  I just decided to post Indiana kids results because I noticed, as the day wore on, there were quite a few Indiana kids on the mats which I thought was great.  Once the tourney was done, I looked over the results and noticed a number of kids from Indiana placed so I decided to post the results.  Mat time is where it's at while it's available in the offseason.  Just trying to get in as much in as possible before it dries up and camps become the focus.

Summed it up nicely.

I agree my Son although not mentioned in the post with names and placements took  fifth place at this tournament and he worked his butt off and deserves every ounce of recognition. He didn't train any less hard for this event then any other that he competes in. Who cares what its called. Mat time with good quality completion is still mat time no matter how u look at it.....

You would get much better competition heading south with a couple lads from your son's school on Mondays and Wednesdays.

Then he may have to talk to you in person.  Who would want to do that?

I wish that we had boys interested in doing just that. I would gladly in a heart beat load them up and take them anyplace for anything wrestling related. Unfortunately we only have two other boys from our school doing anything in the off season. They go to practice one day a week and some tournaments. We've asked but they like were they go and what they do for training in the off season. We do wrestling stuff 4 days a week, locally and out of state at three different locations. We also do tournaments locally and out of state every weekend that we can find one. Just curious where    Awould down South be

I wish that we had boys interested in doing just that. I would gladly in a heart beat load them up and take them anyplace for anything wrestling related. Unfortunately we only have two other boys from our school doing anything in the off season. They go to practice one day a week and some tournaments. We've asked but they like were they go and what they do for training in the off season. We do wrestling stuff 4 days a week, locally and out of state at three different locations. We also do tournaments locally and out of state every weekend that we can find one. Just curious where    Awould down South be

Garrett is where the club is where a couple kids have put some time over the past few years. Feel free to peruse the Garrett RTC Extravaganza thread for more information.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.