scholastic duals

tyandky

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its really a shame how far this tournament has fallen off.  5 teams from Ohio, 5 from Indiana and 3 from Illinois.  That's 13 teams from 3 states that there should be maybe 6 or 7 teams total from.  Then single teams from Michigan, KY, NJ, PA, CO, and VA.

Not to mention that Michigan normally brings about 7 kids and until PA and NJ actually show up on campus you never really know if they are even coming.

Where is Florida? Delaware? Texas? Georgia? Maryland?  These states have all brought teams in the past.

The NWCA needs to give the tournament director some marketing help and give states some incentive to participate in this event to get it back to what it once was.

Its really a shame how far this tournament has fallen off. 

The NWCA needs to give the tournament director some marketing help and give states some incentive to participate in this event to get it back to what it once was.

I agree, from looking at the participation in the last few years it is clear that something needs to be done to get this event back to the point where more states are interested. 

This event give competitors a lot of guaranteed mat time, against some top level competition from around the country.  It's definitely not a situation of "you may go 0-2 and your done" which makes some parents iffy about spending the time and money on.  I know that several kids would love that opportunity to get the mat experience, plus parents, and coaches would see the benefit from sending their kid to it.  I can understand the travel time and cost involved for some of the really far off states, but the event should at least be pulling in at least one team from each state that is relatively close to the Mid-West area.  It seems like it should be as important of an event to states as an event like USA Wrestling Junior Duals is but for some reason has lost its appeal in recent years.

If it's matter of states not getting the info and promoting its needs in order to see the potential the event has then does the NWCA or anyone else involved need to adjust their strategy.  Does each state association need more encouragement in push the event on their coaches/wrestlers? Or would it help to contact some of the top level coaches (most involved coaches) from each state to try to get them to push more participation for the event. 

If its a matter of the timing of the event being to late in the year do we need to move the event date? Moving the event date closer to the end of the HS season would help avoid some people/states who have moved on to focus on freestyle/greco.  But on the negative side it also would be hard to find a date that works in order to avoid all the other large national tournament.  Plus the multiple national events during this time of year is probably a cash drain for some parents/state who would otherwise consider the event.  To me a better option may be to shift the event to the fall sometimes right before the next HS season begins.  As long as it does not conflict with another major pre-season event like Super 32, that may help get some more top level guys interested in going to the event as a early season warmup.  It could also be marketed as a preview for college recruiters and wrestling enthusiasts of who to watch for during the upcoming high school season (much like events like Super 32 are now).  Sure it would be without the fall sport guys, but so are some of the other pre-season events we currently have and they still get plenty of good competition. 

I really don't want to see the event re-located out of  state since we all realize that keeping it in house helps attract our best guys to compete and promote wrestling in our state.  However, I fear if something doesn't change with how the event is handled they may either decide to move it back east or cancel it all together.

Its really a shame how far this tournament has fallen off.  5 teams from Ohio, 5 from Indiana and 3 from Illinois.  That's 13 teams from 3 states that there should be maybe 6 or 7 teams total from.  Then single teams from Michigan, KY, NJ, PA, CO, and VA.

Not to mention that Michigan normally brings about 7 kids and until PA and NJ actually show up on campus you never really know if they are even coming.

Where is Florida? Delaware? Texas? Georgia? Maryland?  These states have all brought teams in the past.

can you say "money"?.......add to that all of the other tournaments going on and it comes down to the fact that parents only have so much $$ to send their kids all over the country to these tournaments.......look at all of the other national tournaments going on right now.....there are just to many to assure that any one is going to attract complete teams.....if your numbers are correct we have 19 teams getting ready to do battle this weekend.....not really to bad.....looks like all the kids will get alot of good solid wrestling in......maybe not like it used to be but i would bet there are many more options nowadays.....

Money may be an issue but I dont think its the main issue.  The main issue is lack of organization and leadership in the states who used to bring teams. We used to have NJ red, NJ Blue, PA red, PA Blue, NY had a team.  It was crazy.  The ENTIRE East Coast was represented. Many of the states that are no longer attending used to put two teams into the event and the coaches associations for the state helped cover the costs.  This was a BIG DEAL ten years ago.

Money may be an issue but I dont think its the main issue.  The main issue is lack of organization and leadership in the states who used to bring teams. We used to have NJ red, NJ Blue, PA red, PA Blue, NY had a team.  It was crazy.  The ENTIRE East Coast was represented. Many of the states that are no longer attending used to put two teams into the event and the coaches associations for the state helped cover the costs.  This was a BIG DEAL ten years ago.

how many teams used to show up?........i wonder if 10 years ago there just wasn't as many tournaments to go to and now there seems to be endless places to wrestle at every weekend, with a lot of them higher level national tournaments?.....transportation is more expensive and i would think many of them choose to stay a little closer to home possibly?

Can anyone give the criteria for being on one of the teams.  I thought I read it somewhere but now I can't find it.  Just looking ahead to next year for a few of my kids.

The IndianaMat Grindin' Gorillas were just a bunch of misfits put together by the founders of the website based on connections we have throughout our respective areas.

it was a good day for the Gold team except for peebles calling someone  Bieber and the kid popped peebles in the eye and there was mcclousky got into it with a group of pit bulls they were eating on his head and ears, definitely ears before we pulled them off...Tyler musta been caught up is a girl fights with all those scratches. Then wesley walked to the center of the mat and stood erected, they blew the whistle and his opponent  ran and jumped into his coaches arms and forfeited the match. Then there was a.c Hedley and lahue  match started and Headley ripped lahue left arm off so they gave us a unsportsmentlike conduct point, made headley really mad so he ripped the other arm off and started beating people with lahue arms. Idk maybe that's what happened to peebles eye. overall it is agood time got to meet some different kids that I haven't talked to before, they was cracking me up talking about swag on the mat...Reinhart......but hopefully Bailey is okay he really did get his shoulder tore up let us know you guys..

All you boys did great...i really enjoyed watching you guys....Thanks boys

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.