scholastic duals

tyandky

I figured there would be talk of it somewhere on here. Didn't Indiana win it last year? What are the teams looking like this year? Being only 2 weeks away and still not hearing anything bout it.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We won in 2011.  Last year we lost in the finals to Illinois.  It's a nice event and Indiana has preformed well in it on our home soil.  The only knock the rest of the nation seems to have against it is that in recent year some of the top states haven't sent teams (or those that do haven't been loaded with top names).

I figured there would be talk of it somewhere on here. Didn't Indiana win it last year? What are the teams looking like this year? Being only 2 weeks away and still not hearing anything bout it.

ya, my son is on the team, and I haven't heard or received anything yet on info... And everyone I have talked to has not heard anything either....if anyone has any info please post it so we can try to make plans on when we need to be there etc......

This years listed teams

1. Colorado

2. Combined All-Star Blue, IN

3. Combined All-Star Gold, IN

4. Delaware

5. Georgia

6. Illinois Navy

7. Illinois Orange

8. Indiana Blue

9. Indiana Gold

10. Indiana Renegades Blue

11. Indiana Renegades Gold

12. Kentucky Blue

13. Kentucky Red

14. Michigan

15. New Jersey

16. Ohio 1030

17. Ohio Titans

18. Virginia

Indiana has six teams..that is nuts

I believe:

Indiana Blue and Gold are our official state teams from the top none senior placement  at IHSAA state finals.

Indiana Renegades Blue and Gold are guys from the Evansville area mostly that Evansville Memorial's coach has organized in last few years.

Combined All-Star Blue and Gold maybe the Indiana Mat connected teams that Y2CJ mentioned something about previously.

Usually I am very involved with the Renegade teams but this year I cannot make the event so Terry O'Neill from Westfield and Bill Flatt from SB Riley graciously stepped up and took control of those two teams.  Our goal each year is to let the IHSWCA teams get settled then go after other state qualifiers etc etc to give the more high level Indiana guys the opportunity to compete in this very tough event.  The Renegade teams were born with the idea to give the coaches who were committing to coaching the IHSWCA teams an opportunity to bring some of their own wrestlers with them on the trip so they have a chance to coach their own kids while putting in the time and effort to coach other Indiana kids.  The idea has worked out very well as the IHSWCA teams and the Renegade teams have worked together and had many coaches multi tasking for the overall effort.

One thing that stinks is that teams from PA, New Jersey, NY, Delaware that used to be ultra tough choose to not make the trek to the midwest or bring vastly inferior teams compared to what we faced for many years when we used to make the 13 hour drive to the east coast every year.  It seems that it was perfectly fine for us to travel out east each year but once the event was moved to a more centrally located location that may bring in teams from more midwest states the eastern teams are suddenly not pulling their weight.  I cant say I'm surprised based on the attitudes of the coaches from those states when we would go there to compete.

As far as the Indiana teams.  I hope there aren't 7 Indiana teams.  I think it would really hurt the integrity of the event.  I have heard of 5 teams.  The 2 IHSWCA teams, the 2 Renegade teams, and Y2's team.  The event is capable of handling 24 teams but typically has about 16-18 enter.  It will be interesting to see what the final team list is and if the east coast team do any better at committing this year.

I think this event would grow and could be a huge event if the NWCA would get behind it and market it better.  The tournament director does a great job but he is only one man and the NWCA has many resources that they simply are not using to help fill this event with other true "state" teams.  That is a shame.

Good Luck to all of the Indiana wrestlers competing in the event!!

I think this event would grow and could be a huge event if the NWCA would get behind it and market it better.  The tournament director does a great job but he is only one man and the NWCA has many resources that they simply are not using to help fill this event with other true "state" teams.  That is a shame.

I agree with this one.  As much as I like Indiana teams in the event an overload of does show the event is becoming less interesting to other states.  I fear that if this decline continues the NWCA may end up canceling the event all together or at least move it away from IN.  I hope their is a way for the NWCA and others involved can help entice more states to sending teams to this competition.  This is a great event and unlike the individual national tournaments the pool system of a dual meet ensure the wrestler all get lots of mat time rather possibly going 2 and out.  Add it that several top wrestlers from around the country have a chance to compete against each other and it seems like an event many kids would be interested in participating in if their states/coaches can be convinced of its value.

Is the event still at Wabash College this year?  They have done a great job as host venue.

I would also like to say that the opportunity for some Indiana guys to get a chance to compete in an event like this, even if on one of the "other" Indiana teams, is a great opportunity.  I was able to get one of our wrestlers on a Renegade team last year, Jake Reed.  The experience for Jake was eye opening.  He learned that he could compete with the top level kids and it set him up mentally for this past season and the success he had at the state meet where he placed 4th. 

I am glad we have many teams entered, I just wish surrounding states would enter more teams as well.

any chance of seeing rosters of those teams?

Entry's were due on April 1st, so unless something hasn't been updates the team list above is the final list of teams.  Since nothing is listed yet under the teams I'm not sure about individual rosters anytime before check in, other than teams reporting them on their state message boards.

So indiana is going to make up a third of the tourney.

Almost just seems like a local tourney instead of a national.

Heck perry should enter their team to see where they stand also.

I heard Cottey-113, James-126,  LeCount-132, Harvey-138, cosaro-152, Mccloskey-160, Benard-285..... I believe these are all Indiana gold team members, not sure on the rest..any help! Sounding pretty solid, now if I could fill in the blanks

i would still like to know if EVERYONE has to actually make weight or not....seems unfair if some kids have to make weight while others get to "step on-step off".....and why do they call it the scholastic duals?.......do grades have anything to do with it?......just wondering

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.