Ramos got robbed!

Steiber still wins even if the 2points were awarded.... Ramos giving up 2 takedowns in the first period killed him... I wonder if that has even happened to him before in college....

Steiber should play lottery, 2 yrs in a row he's gotten a favorable call.

as fast as college refs call pins, i thought it was closer to a pin than a 2 count.....he was definitely on his back for a moment.....what a match!

very close call, but would not have mattered in this match. still a 1 point win.  Love the matches both wrestlers put it out there. I likes the fact  ESPN showed a lot of the different rounds. Almost as good as being there. Almost.

Yes

I thought it was a weird call also.  But I heard the announcer say the first offense in overtime is a stalemate for hanging on the leg.  Not sure if that is true or not.  I also heard one of the announcers say Welch locked hands again when he was trying a cradle.  :)

I thought it was a weird call also.  But I heard the announcer say the first offense in overtime is a stalemate for hanging on the leg.  Not sure if that is true or not.  I also heard one of the announcers say Welch locked hands again when he was trying a cradle.  :)

I've heard the same, it may be true. However, I would prefer the nod to go to the wrestler whom is making an actual attempt to score.  Brown was clearly that wrestler in this match.

What about the 3rd period stalemate call at 174 when Perry was hanging on the ankle? Stalling was the call but ref had no guts to make the call.

The ref called the quick stalemate to give brown the restart to give him a far chance of getting out.

As for the official review. It could have gone either way. But after the review the refs stuck with there call. But according to an d1 ncaa all american we consulted on the topic. he said in college the official must award the takedown before beginning to count near fall. and as according to the stieber vs. oliver match last year, watch the video again because olivers head was buried and was not able to bring his head out to the side to confirm control

Maybe it should have been two... and it might have made a differance if Steiber hadn't taken Ramos down twice. As it turned out it didn't matter. Has Ramos taken Steiber down in any of their matches? I never felt Ramos in the match after the second take down. Steiber clearly owns Ramos.

What about the 3rd period stalemate call at 174 when Perry was hanging on the ankle? Stalling was the call but ref had no guts to make the call.

The fact is the official knew the rule and administered it properly!!!

This is from the NFHS 2012-13 Rule Book; I know the college rule is similar, but, I do not have access to the NCAA Wrestling Rule Book in order to quote it accuratly.

Rule 5-23-1 Stalemate

...It is a stalemate when contestants are interlocked in a position other than a pinning situation, in which neither wrestler can improve their respective position(s); or either competitor has the hands locked around one leg of the opponent to prevent scoring. The referee shall, as soon as possible, stop the match and wrestling shall be resumed as for an out of bounds. Hands locked repeatedly around one leg of an opponent to prevent scoring is considered stalling.

Rule 5-24-6 Stalling

...It is stalling when either wrestler:

a. repeatedly grasps or interlocks around one leg of the opponent to prevent scoring;...

The first occurance shall be recognized as a stalemate and each subsequent occurance shall be recognized as stalling by the offending wrestler. Furthermore, typically by rule, one of the exceptions to stopping a match to award a penalty is when penalizing the offensive wrestler for stalling when the defensive wrestler is on his feet; however, in this situation it would be acceptable to stop the match; because, when warranted, a warning or penalty for stalling may be issued at the same time a stalemate is called.

The fact is the official knew the rule and administered it properly!!!

This is from the NFHS 2012-13 Rule Book; I know the college rule is similar, but, I do not have access to the NCAA Wrestling Rule Book in order to quote it accuratly.

Rule 5-23-1 Stalemate

...It is a stalemate when contestants are interlocked in a position other than a pinning situation, in which neither wrestler can improve their respective position(s); or either competitor has the hands locked around one leg of the opponent to prevent scoring. The referee shall, as soon as possible, stop the match and wrestling shall be resumed as for an out of bounds. Hands locked repeatedly around one leg of an opponent to prevent scoring is considered stalling.

Rule 5-24-6 Stalling

...It is stalling when either wrestler:

a. repeatedly grasps or interlocks around one leg of the opponent to prevent scoring;...

The first occurance shall be recognized as a stalemate and each subsequent occurance shall be recognized as stalling by the offending wrestler. Furthermore, typically by rule, one of the exceptions to stopping a match to award a penalty is when penalizing the offensive wrestler for stalling when the defensive wrestler is on his feet; however, in this situation it would be acceptable to stop the match; because, when warranted, a warning or penalty for stalling may be issued at the same time a stalemate is called.

Read the rule that you just posted, contestants are interlocked they were NOT INTERLOCKED. the NCAA rule is this

5.9.3.4 Repeatedly grasping or interlocking hands around a leg without attempting an offensive move

This is what was happening at this point in the match

Read the rule that you just posted, contestants are interlocked they were NOT INTERLOCKED. the NCAA rule is this

5.9.3.4 Repeatedly grasping or interlocking hands around a leg without attempting an offensive move

This is what was happening at this point in the match

Two very important words to look for and understand...

Or & Repeatedly

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.