How Matt McDonough celebrated his Big Ten runner-up finish

Who did he disrespect? The Big Ten, maybe, okay I'll go with you on that. But I doubt the gym gasped when it happened.

He disrespected the sport. The picture of the trashed medal went viral in the wrestling world and it wasn't because it was a pretty medal, it was because a champion disrespectfully threw it away. I don't care if he's "that caliber" or not, man-up and be a role model. I'm sure the gym took notice that he jumped off of the medal podium prematurely. Maybe he had to take a dump, who knows...

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys are all amusing.  We're talking about conference NOT the NCAA's.  If he win's it next weekend, which I think he will no one will be talking about his missing Big 10 medal.  4 time finalist 3 champ is what should be talked about. 

So what would have been the problem with him throwing the medal in his bag excepting he got beat today and making sure it doesnt happen again? When he gets home, he can throw the medal away in the garbage, but me personally I think its disrespectful to anyone who exceeded their personal goals and achieved a second place medal. Your saying to that wrestler that 2nd sucks and just because his expectations are to get 1st it takes away from someone who excelled and got 2nd.  Why is it a badge of honor to dismiss the achievement of 2nd place (maybe its not an achievement to him, but to many it is)? There are many ways to not except losing...running off the mat, throwing headgears, trashing medals, punching walls, not going to the podium, cussing out the official/coach/opponent, not shaking hands, not leaving the mat, etc. To me none of these shows signs of a respect for the sport. Why not wait until you get home to throw your fit? Why not stand there and respect someone elses accomplishment, and work harder to not let it happen again.  The kids who lose with class dont expect to lose or accept it.  They just find better ways to display their disapproval.  Some throw fits for show, some show respect and commend your opponent knowing today you might have won, but you wont do it tomorrow.

So what would have been the problem with him throwing the medal in his bag excepting he got beat today and making sure it doesnt happen again? When he gets home, he can throw the medal away in the garbage, but me personally I think its disrespectful to anyone who exceeded their personal goals and achieved a second place medal. Your saying to that wrestler that 2nd sucks and just because his expectations are to get 1st it takes away from someone who excelled and got 2nd.  Why is it a badge of honor to dismiss the achievement of 2nd place (maybe its not an achievement to him, but to many it is)? There are many ways to not except losing...running off the mat, throwing headgears, trashing medals, punching walls, not going to the podium, cussing out the official/coach/opponent, not shaking hands, not leaving the mat, etc. To me none of these shows signs of a respect for the sport. Why not wait until you get home to throw your fit? Why not stand there and respect someone elses accomplishment, and work harder to not let it happen again.  The kids who lose with class dont expect to lose or accept it.  They just find better ways to display their disapproval.  Some throw fits for show, some show respect and commend your opponent knowing today you might have won, but you wont do it tomorrow.

It cannot be said any better.

I will be hanging out by the trash can this year at nationals, who couldn't use a nice NCAA All-American plaque?

It's the next Thneed (Dr. Suess reference. Can't tell I have a 3 year old)  Think about all the possible uses:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTZpbpg7FvVbKg19mzp9pox0ngDCgUJOm9pxt9WpPA8zgAUUlHr

Everybody needs a NCAA All-American Plaque!

A fine thing that all people need!

The NCAA All-American Plaque is good, the NCAA All-American Plaque is great,

Let’s hope we’re not too late!

It’s a super trendy Door Stop,

It’s a Coaster for an soda pop,

A frisbee to play catch,

Daily use for Smashing bugggggsss!

Everybody needs a NCAA All-American Plaque,

(A  All-American Plaque!)

A fine thing that all people need,

(WE NEED!)

Everybody needs a NCAA All-American Plaque!

(ahhhhhh ahhhhh)

We want the NCAA All-American Plaque,

(ahhhhh ahhhhhh)

We need the NCAA All-American Plaque,

(ahhhhhhh ahhhhhh)

We need aNCAA All-American Plaque!

Umbrella-ella-ella, hey, hey

Is it bad I didn't read anything past the first sentence because he used the word "excepting"?  I think the work you were looking for is accepting.  DWilly said it was the best post ever too so there goes the value of his opinion. 

Is it bad I didn't read anything past the first sentence because he used the word "excepting"?  I think the work you were looking for is accepting.  DWilly said it was the best post ever too so there goes the value of his opinion.

The "work" he is looking for is any thing that pays. The "word" might have been accepting though.

I knew I should I have proof read.  Hahaha.

So there goes your opinion.  For clarification I said, "It cannot be said any better".  Best post ever...not even close to what I said.  Way to get your point across.  I personally don't care if my son ever reaches that level of wrestling success(i am more worried about academic success), but if he does I would hope he would lose with humility.  The same way when he beats a kid & you hear the parent of the other kid say, "you just gave that match to him".  Yeah, what we did had nothing to do with your son losing losing...ok.  We have all heard & seen it. Don't be that guy, and don't be the guy that pouts publicly when you lose in the finals of Big Tens. He flat out got outwrestled...end of story.  I have nothing but respect for that kid as a wrestler, but I wish he would have handled that loss better.

Devil pegged it. Let me give ya a forinstense, "Yo mama buys ya a brand new pair of LEVI blue jeans  to make your butt look better for the girls, and you  come out of your room with them buttoned around your thighs." Pull our pants up you disrespectful lil  brat. Grow up.  We cant take,"I think how we act is awesome," to the I.O.C. and expect them to listen. Never thought i would see sesame str. on here,who was that sponsored by?

Man I have been out of the loop for a bit.  To bring a little reality to this situation.

1. he trained all year to be the very best and was not satisfied with his performance.  Although not the best choice what athlete that has trained at that level is happy to not achieve his goal.  I didn't watch match but from what I have read it sounds like it was as he was leaving floor he deposited the medal.  (It's not like he attacked a metal barrier and slam dunked his head gear after a loss). It wouldn't be my first choice of things to do and if my sons did that I would rip them a new one but they are 5 and 8 and at that age it's not about winning.  So I can see both sides to the situation.

2.  As far as other unsportsmanlike actions, the only other one I see listed I don't see anything wrong with is after the handshake running off the mat....heck I really don't see anything wrong with that unless they are saluting the crowd as they leave...if a kid is upset after a match the quicker he gets off the mat and by himself the better.  Talking excessively to wrestlers right after a match is not a good idea.  Let them have time to clear there minds and collect themselves then discuss the match.

Bottom line as long as their not bowing to the crowd, giving the hulk hogan hand wave to the ear to the crowd, trying to throw a coke machine or mentally abuse a 132lber you will be fine ........

Bottom line as long as their not bowing to the crowd, giving the hulk hogan hand wave to the ear to the crowd, trying to throw a coke machine or mentally abuse a 132lber you will be fine ........

I'm guilty of 3 of the 4. But,  as Kevin Hart says "let me explain"

The bow was after I won a match, and it was a Pepsi machine....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.