How Matt McDonough celebrated his Big Ten runner-up finish

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After losing to the wrestler from the Soviet Union at the 1985 World Cup in Toledo, Ohio I watched Mark Schultz throw his 2nd place award into the Maumee River. I recall thinking at the time that it took a great deal of athletic ability to throw the award that far. Mark rebounded to win the World Championship later that year. A couple of years ago I was sitting next to Mark at dinner after one of the sessions at the World Team Trials and I mentioned the above incident to him. He smiled and said he remembered it and he went on to tell me he is proud to say that he is NOT in possession of any 2nd place medals. In fact, he told me that he took 2nd at the Big 8 (now the Big 12) and that medal was on top of Gallagher-Iba Arena at Oklahoma State.

I have seen things like that dozens of times from guys at that level, I'm not saying it's right, I'm saying it's common.

I was stanging right there when he dumped it in the trash - I would have got it out except it was the same trash can that the wrestlers had been spitting in all day.  Not sure who was brave enough to go digging. 

It is their medal the earned it.  So with that said, they can do whatever they want with it.

I agree, but wouldn't mind this type of stuff being done out of the public view (not sure if it was or wasn't).  When the crowd, and especially kids can notice it, I don't believe it portrays a great image of respect and sportsmanship.  Though he jumped off the podium quickly afterward, McD (by force or choice) did at least showed up for the award ceremony and official placement photo.

I agree, but wouldn't mind this type of stuff being done out of the public view (not sure if it was or wasn't).  When the crowd, and especially kids can notice it, I don't believe it portrays a great image of respect and sportsmanship.  Though he jumped off the podium quickly after at least he (by force or choice) did showed up for the award ceremony and official placement photo.

Fair enough.  Not doing it in front the kids is a good point.

I love this. This displays the winning attitude of Iowa and how intense their mentality is and I personally think it is awesome.

well i guess there should have been a few more in the trash that day then....0-4 in finals for iowa...no champs for iowa GOTTA LOVE IT

You guys are killing me..... Have none of you ever seen/heard an Iowa wrestler? They are a different breed.

I say kudos, way to not settle for anything other than a championship.

For the record, I keep my runner-up ring in my junk drawer.

A different breed??  Yes, they... they were once a dominating breed, but they are no longer.. still really good and a top program, but not the "breed" they once were. 

They looked bad in the finals... McD looked like he had no answer and Ramos looked like he forgot what offense was...  they better wake up or the trash cans will be in for a lot of Iowa medals in two weeks...

A different breed??  Yes, they... they were once a dominating breed, but they are no longer.. still really good and a top program, but not the "breed" they once were. 

They looked bad in the finals... McD looked like he had no answer and Ramos looked like he forgot what offense was...  they better wake up or the trash cans will be in for a lot of Iowa medals in two weeks...

I didn't mean a different talent level. I mean they are crazy....

true it is his medal and he can do with it whatever he wants, but if he (or any athlete) is going to throw a fit, scream and yell, cry, throw his equipment and basically just act in an unsportsman like manner (and i'm not saying he did any of this - just making a point), it should be done behind closed doors......there's not a parent or coach on here (well maybe one or two) that would put up with that from their kids......and by just going to the next level doesn't make it ok......i agree with the mayor, he should have handed it to some kid in the crowd that would have been thrilled......what a souvenir for a young fan.......but in his defense, i can only imagine how bad he felt.....tuff situation but hopefully it will fuel his fire to do better......

When your mentality is win at all costs there is no room for second place!!!  Obviously he doesn't want what he feels like he shouldn't have received...most of us on here think second place is ok and just should be happy with it...whatever!!!  my son smashed his championship trophy from a national tournament because he was unhappy he din't pin everyone that day...should i be upset because he was unhappy with his preformance???  How can anyone justify how someone else should respond from how he preformed???  Nobody would even have known he threw it away had they not dug it out of the trash!!!  Iowa wins and runs off the mat and people say they are arrogant....now they lose and throw THEIR medals away and now they are throwing tantrums!!!  Get a life and give superior athletes a break and let them do what they do to drive themselves as long as they are not doing it infront of everybody and making a scene about it!!!

I think it's pretty disrespectful to Delgado... you got beat fair and square, man up and take your second place medal.  I understand the "runner up is the first loser" mentality Iowa has, but to act like you are too good for second place after being dominated for the second time is arrogant and a display of poor sportsmanship toward your opponent.  I've read that he has requested for the medal to be returned, so it sounds like he regrets the decision, but a fifth year senior who's been wrestling at such a high level for so long should know better.  Delgado has had to stand below McDonough on the podium in the past, and now it's McDonough's turn.  Gable didn't pull a stunt like this in public after he lost the final match of his college career.

my son smashed his championship trophy from a national tournament because he was unhappy he din't pin everyone that day...should i be upset because he was unhappy with his preformance???

Ummm.....yes, in answer to your question.  Unless your kid is uber talented and the next 4 timer (maybe he is, if so, forgive me) he probably needs a lesson in humility.  One of my son's was really mad after a victory once and we had a fairly heated conversation (conversation is overstating it, he listened, I pontificated) regarding his expectations.  We left it at unless he was willing to put in ridiculous amounts of extra time during the season, and during the off season (and believe me, he wrestles and trains plenty), then he needed to cool his jets.  Jason Tsirtsis he ain't and I don't think even Tsirtsis would have the attitude of fury after any win.

Ummm.....yes, in answer to your question.  Unless your kid is uber talented and the next 4 timer (maybe he is, if so, forgive me) he probably needs a lesson in humility.  One of my son's was really mad after a victory once and we had a fairly heated conversation (conversation is overstating it, he listened, I pontificated) regarding his expectations.  We left it at unless he was willing to put in ridiculous amounts of extra time during the season, and during the off season (and believe me, he wrestles and trains plenty), then he needed to cool his jets.  Jason Tsirtsis he ain't and I don't think even Tsirtsis would have the attitude of fury after any win.

well said.....

I have been an Iowa wrestling fan for many years.  As a coach I like many of the things they stand for.  Mental toughness etc etc...all those things I want our wrestlers to be.  BUT...I have to say that after this weekend, I am very disappointed in Matt McDonough.  I get tired of seeing kids get beat then sprint off the mats.  To me it is another way of bringing attention to yourself.  Matt McDonough made sure that EVERYONE in the arena knew that he was upset after he lost.  He had to be called to the podium for the awards ceremony, which delayed the tournament, then he jumped down off of the podium before people were completely done taking pictures.  Last one on and first one off and had to make sure everyone saw him.  One of the things about wrestling that I love is that the wrestlers respect certain things...and the awards podium is one of those things.  Even in the most bitter of defeats, the runner up gets his tail to the award stand.  It stinks that this particular wrestler does not respect the sport, or his opponent enough to get his warmups on in a timely fashion and be where he needs to be.

one final note....unless something drastic changes in the next 10 days.,.....he will be upset after losing again.  Delgado is flat better than him right now.

my son smashed his championship trophy from a national tournament because he was unhappy he din't pin everyone that day...should i be upset because he was unhappy with his preformance??? 

Yes, you should be upset.  I am not going to get on here & tell someone how to parent, but if my son did that I would most likely force a break from tournament wrestling. I certainly would not tolerate it from a kid I coach.  That said, I unfortunately am waiting for my son to pin multiple people in the same day. :D  When he gets his tail kicked & tries to throw a fit it is short-lived.  We dont allow it.  Just go into your place of work & verbally pout or slam some object the next time something doesn't go as planned.  The reaction you get from your coworkers will be the reaction the rest of us have to your son smashing a trophy or McDonough throwing his away & pouting afterward.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.