Give him some credit

You don't have to like me or castle but give our indiana kids some support

Great job chad and all the INDIANA kids who qualified for D1 NCAA

Y2 - I would like to think any time an Indiana kid wins a big match it would be

[*]

[*]

great news

Your reply makes it sound like its not great news

He beat a highly ranked kid and now has qualified for the national tournament

Give him some credit

You don't have to like me or castle but give our indiana kids some support

Great job chad and all the INDIANA kids who qualified for D1 NCAA

7 and 8 seeds go down all the time at the Big 10s, been to enough to see numerous.  It wasn't like it was the Miracle on Ice here. It was a good win and propelled him to an auto bid to the NCAAs. I am not going to celebrate it like we just beat Russia in hockey though like you and Butt Drag are.  I have been around the sport long enough to see these types of upsets over and over.

And yet you wouldn't downplay the accomplishment of any NAIA AAs from the Fort Wayne semi-state... I feel like I remember someone saying that neither of the Welch twins would have success at the DI level, which was obviously an incorrect assumption.

And yet you wouldn't downplay the accomplishment of any NAIA AAs from the Fort Wayne semi-state... I feel like I remember someone saying that neither of the Welch twins would have success at the DI level, which was obviously an incorrect assumption.

Please show where I said that.

Show me where I said they would not be good in college.

You know they're not still saved in the archived posts, and I figured you'd conveniently forget about them, but maybe I can refresh your memory... it might've been an argument about whether the Welchs would ever AA in DI, and you were convinced they wouldn't because they weren't good enough on their feet.  Obviously neither has reached that level yet, but beating the #9 ranked wrestler in the country as a redshirt freshman at the B10 tourney is a pretty big accomplishment for an Indiana wrestler. 

Actually here is what I said, the posts are in the Recycle Bin

Welches- They are both good on the mat, which will help ease the transition to college, but they will need work on their feet.  They haven't had much national success or really even entered in many national tournaments in the offseason, so it is tough to gauge, but if you look at the recent 1-time champs at the DI level, they have not fared all that great.  I think they are pretty raw as far as technique on their feet and they could have a huge upside, but only time will tell. 

If you watched the Munster match you would have seen that Welch won the match on the mat with a late reversal in the first period and then an escape in the third period, while riding Munster like a rented mule in the second period.  Welch gave up a takedown fairly early in the first period for Munster's only scoring.

Here is the whole post by the way, which was done on Feb 29, 2011

I hate to put a damper on this parade, but if you look at the recent NCAA DI All-Americans from Indiana you can kinda gauge where this year's seniors will finish.

Roach- He has had some national success, so he is probably the best prospect to attain AA status in college.  I think maybe his biggest weakness may be his size.  To me he probably can't make 141 and might be a little small for 149.  His style is more suited for 141.

Stein- He has had national success, but that is in greco.  His folkstyle and freestyle national credentials are nowhere close.  He is the next best prospect, but will have to change his style in college.  He likes to shoot relentlessly and in college the older guys will punish him if he takes a bad shot.

Bratcher- I think he may have more college success than Stein just based off of his style.  Also add to that he has a coach that is an exact clone of him.  His brawler style will give him a leg up when starting as a freshman and he has a lot of upward potential.

Welches- They are both good on the mat, which will help ease the transition to college, but they will need work on their feet.  They haven't had much national success or really even entered in many national tournaments in the offseason, so it is tough to gauge, but if you look at the recent 1-time champs at the DI level, they have not fared all that great.  I think they are pretty raw as far as technique on their feet and they could have a huge upside, but only time will tell.

Raley-  He shook off the 103lbs state champ curse this year and absolutely exploded onto the scene at the Super 32.  You don't just win a tournament like that accidentally and it seems he could be the best of the bunch if he continues the progression he made from last year to this year.  He has a great college build and will be one I will be watching at the collegiate level.

Still time to tell with the assessments, but Bratcher has hung up the shoes and Raley was a JUCO AA last year.  Roach started most the year for IU until an injury forced his season to end prematurely.  One of the Welches was varsity, while the other was behind Pat Robinson and Kyle Mosier.

7 and 8 seeds go down all the time at the Big 10s, been to enough to see numerous.  It wasn't like it was the Miracle on Ice here. It was a good win and propelled him to an auto bid to the NCAAs. I am not going to celebrate it like we just beat Russia in hockey though like you and Butt Drag are.  I have been around the sport long enough to see these types of upsets over and over.

This is not a normal 'average upset', and I was just giving props to a homegrown Indiana kid. Guy upsets a top 10 wrestler, and then has to wrestle the #1 Ranked wrestler in the country for 7th place.  The Big Ten 174 lb weight class is just filthy unreal.  Something like 8 of 10 Big Ten wrestlers in the Top 10 ranking in country, (9 if you included future Big Ten School Maryland).

174 pounds

1 Logan Storley So. Minnesota 19-1 1

2 Chris Perry Jr. Oklahoma State 22-1 3

3 Mike Evans So. Iowa 14-2 4

4 Robert Kokesh So. Nebraska 26-2 2

5 Josh Asper Sr. Maryland 14-1 5

6 Nick Heflin Jr. Ohio State 12-2 7

7 Matt Brown So. Penn State 19-4 6

8 Jordan Blanton Sr. Illinois 15-6 8

9 Lee Munster So. Northwestern 20-5 9

10 Dan Yates Jr. Michigan 18-5 10

Not that big of an upset when a ten seed beats a seven seed

True.  But it is a bit of a big deal when a #29 ranked beats a #9 ranked.  Your choice of stating the seedings, instead of the rankings, makes it look like you are attempting to minimize Welch's accomplishment.

I thought it was a nice accomplishment and would not be doing anything other than acknowledging and supporting our IN kid's accomplishments against kids from other states.

True.  But it is a bit of a big deal when a #29 ranked beats a #9 ranked.  Your choice of stating the seedings, instead of the rankings, makes it look like you are attempting to minimize Welch's accomplishment.

I thought it was a nice accomplishment and would not be doing anything other than acknowledging and supporting our IN kid's accomplishments against kids from other states.

Welch was #26 in the last RPI standings which would have made him a solid candidate to earn a wildcard bid if needed.  That means that Welch almost qualified a spot for the NCAAs. iMunster was ranked 16 by the way.

I guess I don't jump for joy every time a Purdue wrestler wins a match and maybe I should because it seems to be such a huge accomplishment. Most Big 10 wrestlers that were 9+ seeded or unseeded should be able to compete with wrestlers ranked 9th+ and beat them on occasion.  This weight class is an absolute crap shot as shown at the Big 10s, where only one top four seed made the semi-finals.  At this weight anyone can beat anyone on any given day. 

http://www.intermatwrestle.com/rankings/college/174

Munster was #10 on Intermat

http://awn.theopenmat.com/2013/02/awn-division-i-college-wrestling-rankings-february-26-2013/

Munster was #8 on AWN

This was a solid win for Welch.. Munster was top 5-10 recruit coming out of Illinois...  Munster has not taken that next step after being such a great high school wrestler.  Hopefully Tsirtsis and Sliga will at NW. 

Here is the whole post by the way, which was done on Feb 29, 2011Still time to tell with the assessments, but Bratcher has hung up the shoes and Raley was a JUCO AA last year.  Roach started most the year for IU until an injury forced his season to end prematurely.  One of the Welches was varsity, while the other was behind Pat Robinson and Kyle Mosier.

For the record, Doug split the two wrestle offs with Pat.  Pat winning the first, Doug winning the 2nd.  They did not have a 3rd wrestle off.  Doug did get some varsity matches this season for Purdue.  Mosier, was behind Chad Welch at 174. 

I guess my biggest problem is why you even had to say something at all.  It makes you sound like a complete jerk off when someone was just celebrating a big win over (by everyone else's rankings except yours) a top 10 kid in the country.  Yes, that is a big deal.  How many top 10 kids have you ever beaten in your career?  Stop downplaying everyone else's success.

I will be in Iowa cheering on Chad and all of the other Indiana wrestlers no matter what school they attend now.  It IS a big deal to make it to the NCAA Wrestling Championships. 

Here's what I'd like from you.  Why don't you tell us about your wrestling career and credentials that make you so superior that you can downplay wins like this? 

Stop being such an D-bag.

For the record, Doug split the two wrestle offs with Pat.  Pat winning the first, Doug winning the 2nd.  They did not have a 3rd wrestle off.  Doug did get some varsity matches this season for Purdue.  Mosier, was behind Chad Welch at 174. 

Mosier wrestled off for 165 against Robinson to start the season. They were in the "finals" as Doug lost in the semi-finals.  I am not in the room, nor do I know the exact pecking order at Purdue.

I guess my biggest problem is why you even had to say something at all.  It makes you sound like a complete jerk off when someone was just celebrating a big win over (by everyone else's rankings except yours) a top 10 kid in the country.  Yes, that is a big deal.  How many top 10 kids have you ever beaten in your career?  Stop downplaying everyone else's success.

I am sorry I did not run the streets screaming and hollering about this win like you obviously did. In fact just to hopefully appease you I did a cartwheel in celebration of the win. I hope you take that as a late celebration and forgive me for not celebrating sooner. I did not realize how big of a deal it was to you guys and apologize profusely that I did not share your initial excitement.  I surely home Chad doesn't rest on this one win like you guys seem to be.

I will be in Iowa cheering on Chad and all of the other Indiana wrestlers no matter what school they attend now.  It IS a big deal to make it to the NCAA Wrestling Championships. 

Me too and I agree

Here's what I'd like from you.  Why don't you tell us about your wrestling career and credentials that make you so superior that you can downplay wins like this? 

Stop being such an D-bag.

And since I never wrestled D1 that somehow means I can't say anything? Did you wrestle D1? If not you shouldn't be commenting on this topic either.

I am sorry I did not run the streets screaming and hollering about this win like you obviously did. In fact just to hopefully appease you I did a cartwheel in celebration of the win. I hope you take that as a late celebration and forgive me for not celebrating sooner. I did not realize how big of a deal it was to you guys and apologize profusely that I did not share your initial excitement.  I surely home Chad doesn't rest on this one win like you guys seem to be.

Me too and I agree

And since I never wrestled D1 that somehow means I can't say anything? Did you wrestle D1? If not you shouldn't be commenting on this topic either.

Wasn't asking for a cartwheel.  Doubt that could happen anyway.  Nor did I say Chad was satisfied.  He's looking to do bigger and better things and this was just a minor accomplishment along the way.  Again, stop being such a jerk.

I'm sure you will be Iowa.  I'll listen for you downplaying all the big wins.  I'm sure it'll sound something like this...."Someone just beat David Taylor?  So what? Dake's done that before.  No big deal."

I didn't wrestle D-1 either.  I didn't say you weren't allowed to comment.  Just asked why you were so superior that you can downplay big time wins in D-1 wrestling?  I think it's pretty cool that all of these Indiana kids have punched their tickets to the NCAA tournament.  Do you not get excited every time your kids punch their ticket to State?  Or are we going to say that's not a big deal either?

I'm done with this conversation at this point as I am moving past this nonsense.  Go ahead and continue to post your disrespectful comments all over this board and continue to delete the ones that make you look foolish.

Good luck to all the Indiana kids that will be wrestling in Iowa.  Looking forward to seeing a lot of the Indiana coaches there as well. Safe travels next week.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.