Way to go NCAA - some more not so common sense

booboobear

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/28/sports/wrestler-hoping-to-inspire-through-song-loses-eligibility.html?_r=1&

Here's another case of the NCAA not using common sense.  The kid is trying to promote something positive (unlike say Penn State and the Sandusky case) and the NCAA suspends him?!?!?  Things like this will eventually lead to the downfall of the NCAA.

Apparently when you get on a board to oversee something you lose all your common sence.  I guess the NCAA is only ok with RICH college students doing anything like Johhny Football. The poor or regular kids should just suffer or get by on next to nothing. Music has nothing to do with college sports. He gets 10 percent of his college paid for WOW. Maybe the NCAA should make him donate 10 percent of his money or allow athletes without full rides should be able to make money to survive. I understand that athletes with full rides dont need much to get by but 10 percent, how do they pay for the rest of the 15- 20 grand it cost to go to college.

I read a similar article so forgive me if what I mention may have been repeated in this one.  What's sad is the kids career wasn't even on the NCAA's radar as an issue to start with. Then the school/athletic department though it would be cool to highlight the positive message of the song that was created by their student athlete by showing the video prior to the meet (not sure its much different than someone being asked to sing a song live prior to one).  They go through the appropriate channels of the NCAA and are given the OK to show the video.  Then a little after this all of a sudden no only does he show up on the NCAA radar, but it becomes a major issue.  So even though everyone did what they were suppose to do and was told it was OK the the NCAA still decides to make an example out of it.  So much for trying to do the right thing.  Seems like other than the NCAA telling the school they can show/promote his music while he still on the team and telling him he can't use his athletic status in any way to promote his music  that this should be a none issue.  But, that's the NCAA for you.

Such crap !!!!! A kid can advertise Nike,Addidas,Under Armor,Reebok and any other company that ponies up money to the NCAA and the schools but this kid gets suspended for writing a song??????????? NCAA 's head is so far up its ass it should have been dismantled years ago torn down and rebuilt.

As far as Robinson he got his "thinger in a ringer a' with the NCAA a few years ago so he is probably stepping lightly. Also its pretty consistent with "coach speak" to make a point to concentrate on your sport and school and leave the extra curriculars alone.

Its stupid yes but he doesnt need to SELL his song. Thats where the issue is stemming from its not hard to fix stop selling your song you can wrestle next year. You dont ned to profit on your message...if thats truely what its all about give it away for free then its not a "commercial product" at least thats how it reads. Is the NCAA a terrible organization yes it is but you have to play by their rules if your going to wrestle in college. Its not hard.

Johnny Manziel has been given permission to sue people who use his likeness on t-shirts and keep the money, but this kid is ruled ineligible?

This has everything to do with the NCAA making money of of college athelte likenesses.  They are facing law suits right now for this exact thing.  IF they didn't allow Johnny Football to make money from these suits, and they lost their own and had to pay college athletes damages for using their likeness, they would be in violation of their own rule and would have to remove eligibility to all the athletes that they were forced to pay

Its stupid yes but he doesnt need to SELL his song. Thats where the issue is stemming from its not hard to fix stop selling your song you can wrestle next year. You dont ned to profit on your message...if thats truely what its all about give it away for free then its not a "commercial product" at least thats how it reads. Is the NCAA a terrible organization yes it is but you have to play by their rules if your going to wrestle in college. Its not hard.

but the article said it was because he used his own name and status as a college athlete to promote the song.. Said if he would use an alias then he would regain his eligibility...  that is part that confuses me.. either it is a violation or it is not.. why does the name matter?

And I agree, all college athletes are aware that they must follow NCAA rules.. so if one chooses not to follow them then they risk losing their eligibility..

he cant use his name or likeness to promote a commercial product the fact that he sells his song is the issue if it was just a free download he would have no issue...thats why his name matters if he used an alias he would technically not be using the fact that he is Joel Bauman Minisota Wrestler to sell his "wisdom"

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/28/sports/wrestler-hoping-to-inspire-through-song-loses-eligibility.html?_r=1&

Here's another case of the NCAA not using common sense.  The kid is trying to promote something positive (unlike say Penn State and the Sandusky case) and the NCAA suspends him?!?!?  Things like this will eventually lead to the downfall of the NCAA.

The NCAA advertises the crap out of players, schools, and teams and this is an infraction?  I guess had he following Sandusky's lead, or had an imaginary girlfriend, or been smoking dope, or beating his girlfriend, this might not have been an infraction in the NCAA's eyes.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.