Is it doable: From the Bankers' Life Field House, to the Lucas Oil Stadium?

statskeeper

If (and this would be a very big if), a group of deep pocketed financial benefactors, along with the IHSAA, would allow, or acquiesce, for a one year trial basis, the possibility of moving the Individual weight class state finals, from the Bankers’ Life Field House, to the Lucas Oil Stadium. I know, at the outset, most will say, observing the current administration within the IHSAA, it just couldn’t be possible. Well, one can dream, can’t they? 

Seriously, I recently saw some still images, captured from the Iowa State High School Athletic Association, Championship Series finals, and apparently, they are being contested, at least for the opening round, on three mats. And I’m aware Iowa’s state finals are in three classes.  Can we do better with just one single class?

Yes, using eight mats, could be accomplished at Banker’s Life Field House; but placing eight mats on the floor, where the square footage was planned for NBA Basketball, and, or Ice Hockey, would make the mat placements on the floor surface very tight; even after disassembling and removing the hockey dasher boards. Also, the sundry of peripheral equipment and required furnishings would be tightly jammed much closer (possibly to close) to the each mat surface. At Lucas Oil Stadium, this wouldn’t ever become an issue.

Surly, all are aware, the NCAA Basketball Final Four, either have been, or will be soon staged at Lucas oil. The configuration of the court surface is laid across the grain to the football artificial sport turf; wherefore only a little more than half of the stadium’s permanent seating is in viewing contact of the game floor. Temporary seating is assembled to view one side of the court.

For wrestling, the temporary seating wouldn’t be an issue, because the layout of the eight mats would coincide, double file, with the length of the full football surface. During Friday night’s opening round, there could be one consolation round of the opening round’s losers. Than as the Saturday morning rounds begin, each weight class would have eight wrestlers in the Championship Quarter finals, and four wrestlers in the consolation bracket. Now we will have a TRUE wrestle backs.

Okay, while we now have thirteen officials working the four mats over two days, which allows for an assistant referee at each match, the number of officials, more than likely would have to be increased; I.E., maybe not exactly to twenty six, but something along those lines.

I’m sure this whole idea, while it indeed has merit, will be panned as absolutely undoable. Thanks anyway for reading and using your valuable time.

If (and this would be a very big if), a group of deep pocketed financial benefactors, along with the IHSAA, would allow, or acquiesce, for a one year trial basis, the possibility of moving the Individual weight class state finals, from the Bankers’ Life Field House, to the Lucas Oil Stadium. I know, at the outset, most will say, observing the current administration within the IHSAA, it just couldn’t be possible. Well, one can dream, can’t they? 

Seriously, I recently saw some still images, captured from the Iowa State High School Athletic Association, Championship Series finals, and apparently, they are being contested, at least for the opening round, on three mats. And I’m aware Iowa’s state finals are in three classes.  Can we do better with just one single class?

Yes, using eight mats, could be accomplished at Banker’s Life Field House; but placing eight mats on the floor, where the square footage was planned for NBA Basketball, and, or Ice Hockey, would make the mat placements on the floor surface very tight; even after disassembling and removing the hockey dasher boards. Also, the sundry of peripheral equipment and required furnishings would be tightly jammed much closer (possibly to close) to the each mat surface. At Lucas Oil Stadium, this wouldn’t ever become an issue.

Surly, all are aware, the NCAA Basketball Final Four, either have been, or will be soon staged at Lucas oil. The configuration of the court surface is laid across the grain to the football artificial sport turf; wherefore only a little more than half of the stadium’s permanent seating is in viewing contact of the game floor. Temporary seating is assembled to view one side of the court.

For wrestling, the temporary seating wouldn’t be an issue, because the layout of the eight mats would coincide, double file, with the length of the full football surface. During Friday night’s opening round, there could be one consolation round of the opening round’s losers. Than as the Saturday morning rounds begin, each weight class would have eight wrestlers in the Championship Quarter finals, and four wrestlers in the consolation bracket. Now we will have a TRUE wrestle backs.

Okay, while we now have thirteen officials working the four mats over two days, which allows for an assistant referee at each match, the number of officials, more than likely would have to be increased; I.E., maybe not exactly to twenty six, but something along those lines.

I’m sure this whole idea, while it indeed has merit, will be panned as absolutely undoable. Thanks anyway for reading and using your valuable time.

I like where high school state is now. I would like to see merriville semi-state moved to a more spectator friendly venue! Can't figure out how merriville has a strangle hold on this event since you can't see wrestlers on 2 mats when your on a one side of the gym! If the Ihsaa really wanted to promote important events as these, they need to take charge and do what is best for not only the wrestlers but for the paying fans as well.

Just for comparison, when Lucas Oil opened the talk was IHSAA football state would NOT be at Lucas Oil due to the cost.  I don't remember the details, either a sponsor/donor came in to cover the difference between Lucas and RCA dome or Lucas dropped their rent fee for the facility just for the IHSAA.  Either way, if football barely can afford it I'm sure wrestling can't.  Nice to dream though.

Just for comparison, when Lucas Oil opened the talk was IHSAA football state would NOT be at Lucas Oil due to the cost.  I don't remember the details, either a sponsor/donor came in to cover the difference between Lucas and RCA dome or Lucas dropped their rent fee for the facility just for the IHSAA.  Either way, if football barely can afford it I'm sure wrestling can't.  Nice to dream though.

I believe the colts sponsor that

I read this and laugh, not at what people are asking or saying but at the fact that "we all" think that the IHSSA is going to do anything to help the sport of wrestling.

1) They got rid of team state.

2) Don't give medals to the entire team that wins under their new team concept.

If it were basketball or football they would be ears open but if you mention wrestling its like they have no interest. :'(

I Think I figured out that if we could do 8 mats on friday night for 2 rounds and didnt have a 3 hr break on saturday we could accomplish full wrestlebacks its just friday would be packed....regardless unless this falukens guy is willing to listen to us then we have no shot...

I Think I figured out that if we could do 8 mats on friday night for 2 rounds and didnt have a 3 hr break on saturday we could accomplish full wrestlebacks its just friday would be packed....regardless unless this falukens guy is willing to listen to us then we have no shot...

Why not just start earlier on Friday to get full wrestle backs.  Maybe use the break on Saturday, easily could be done with four mats.  Lucas Oil is so big, you wouldnt have very good visibility nor would be intimate.  Bankers Life has plenty of capacity for current attendance.  Maybe wrong, but I think Lucas Oil would cost a lot more to rent.      Also,  in comparison to other states, Bankers Life is one of the best venues to watch wrestling in the country.

Also to comment on the Iowa state tournament,  they do theirs in 3 days.  Each class has their scheduled time period in the first two days.  It like 1a is from 9-12, 2a is from 12-3 and so on.  The problem is you don't get to see the full attendance.

Wrestling now starts at 6:30 on Friday night, what time are you wanting it to start. The 3 hour break on Saturday is something the most of us enjoy. 3 days, now maybe you coaches get in free but the rest of us pay to enter. Another night in hotel room, $$$, another day to eat, $$$, and we wonder why we run this sport into the ground. I don't care if our neighbors do it one way, or another. We are not OH, ILL, we are Ind.

Heck New Castle gets it done for MS state..of course they use shorter periods, and use smaller mats but they run like 700 wrestlers through full wrestlebacks and true 2nd in the matter of hours..It's not really a fair comparison I realize...Lets just bring Market Square back from the ashes..I enjoyed that more than Bankers Life..at any rate doing that is slightly more likely than wrestling in Lucas Oil..which honestly is just toooooo big.

While I agree Lucas Oil wouldn't really fit our needs well, some of you do need to realize they can close half the field off with an extr set of bleachers and use the red zone/end zone area.  That shrinks the size down considerably. 

get_chart.aspx?img=LucasOilStadium_hof_basketball_1_medium.jpg&w=430

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.