Team Medals

Devils27

How do the team medals work now?  Do top 3 teams at State get medals now?  If so is it just the wrestlers who make it to state, the 14 starters or whole team?  Just curious how that side is working if someone could answer. 

I must say I am a little disappointed with how the IHSAA has handled this.  When our wrestlers accepted our State Runner-Up trophy, they were given 5 medals.  When I approached Bobby Cox and asked why we only received 5 medals, he said those 5 medals were for the coaching staff and that we would have to purchase any additional medals we would want for our wrestlers.  I didn't press the issue at that point.  Seeming it fair and reasonable that our wrestlers should receive state runner up medals, our AD contacted the IHSAA this week to inquire about this.  I don't want to misrepresent their conversation, but basically, he was told that since we are an individual sport, they (the IHSAA) did not provide team medals to our wrestlers.  They again said that we would have to purchase any additional medals that we would want for our wrestlers.

I am still a bit frustrated with this response.  I, personally, don't think it would have broken the IHSAA's bank to provide the two top teams with 14 team medals each for their 14 sectional entrants (their teams).

Coach McCormick

I must say I am a little disappointed with how the IHSAA has handled this.  When our wrestlers accepted our State Runner-Up trophy, they were given 5 medals.  When I approached Bobby Cox and asked why we only received 5 medals, he said those 5 medals were for the coaching staff and that we would have to purchase any additional medals we would want for our wrestlers.  I didn't press the issue at that point.  Seeming it fair and reasonable that our wrestlers should receive state runner up medals, our AD contacted the IHSAA this week to inquire about this.  I don't want to misrepresent their conversation, but basically, he was told that since we are an individual sport, they (the IHSAA) did not provide team medals to our wrestlers.  They again said that we would have to purchase any additional medals that we would want for our wrestlers.

I am still a bit frustrated with this response.  I, personally, don't think it would have broken the IHSAA's bank to provide the two top teams with 14 team medals each for their 14 sectional entrants (their teams).

Coach McCormick

WOW  ::) that is unbelievable. How much do they cost?

$5 per medal for us to purchase them.  They aren't all that expensive... I guess it's just the principle of the matter that bothers me.

It's not like they are recognizing 3 or 4 classes of first and second place teams.  It's 2 teams in a single class sport for goodness sake!

Can you imagine if they told the basketball teams that they were going to have to purchase their own medals???

I wonder how many team medals they give to each of the 10 football teams in 5 classes???

$5 per medal for us to purchase them.  They aren't all that expensive... I guess it's just the principle of the matter that bothers me.

It's not like they are recognizing 3 or 4 classes of first and second place teams.  It's 2 teams in a single class sport for goodness sake!

Can you imagine if they told the basketball teams that they were going to have to purchase their own medals???

I wonder how many team medals they give to each of the 10 football teams in 5 classes???

Ya i wasn't asking to make anyone other than the IHSAA look cheap. Sorry if it came  across differently.

When Delta won their titles there were medals given to cover the team. Coach elected to give them to administrators some of those years though. 

I don't understand why Mr. Cox can't at least try to understand that yes, winning a state title is an individual goal, but there is still a team for 3 months before that! Until the public starts to hear more about these kind of things about the IHSAA and how they treat their athletes (and officials) things wont change. Trent, I'm sure the Star Press would look into a potential story for this.

Coach McCormick

Here's an idea, the IHSAA has companies like the official State finals photographer

making money off the tourney, why not approach them and ask them to kick in

some support.  I am sure public or private donors would be willing to work out

Medal sponsorship.... "And now, presenting the Chase award medals"....are these

People really that dumb and uninvolved in running these sports and events?

I will tell you that it seems that wrestling coaches and the IHSAA seem to be at their most distant relationship since I have been coaching. I do believe there is an ear at the IHSAA who is willing to listen but I believe it is being shut down from above.

I still will never understand the logic of not scoring Friday night, not scoring the first round of the semi state, no medals for the team,  and the loss of a team concept at the state dual championship.  How much different was it to win state in the individual tournament and the team duals. Light years.

One of our eight kids there could not find his pass and could not get down to the floor. We got 7 medals. No handshake of congrats from the IHSAA commiss. No team jumping up and down in the center of the mat. No parents and fans celebrating. We really stepped backwards. I like keeping score at the individual. It was fun but to crown a champion, well, not the same.

And Bankerslife was like a prison camp. I won't get into some of those issues but a Bankerslife employee told me that part of my issue was a directive from the IHSAA.

I will just have to raise money to buy all my kids a medal since we only got seven because it took a full room of kids to accomplish what these kids did this year.

Here's an idea, the IHSAA has companies like the official State finals photographer

making money off the tourney, why not approach them and ask them to kick in

some support.  I am sure public or private donors would be willing to work out

Medal sponsorship.... "And now, presenting the Chase award medals"....are these

People really that dumb and uninvolved in running these sports and events?

Speaking of sponsorship, why not forward some of these concerns to the corporate partners of the IHSAA. As the benefactor of sponsorship the IHSAA has a certain level of accountability to those corporate sponsors. If a couple of Farmers Insurance policy holders, for example, were to cancel their policies and explain to their agent that it is due to their displeasure with the IHSAA’s conduct in regard to a sport and event that is dear to them and which that corporation is affiliated through sponsorship. If they want to make it about money accommodate them. Just a thought!

In team sports they give medals to everybody... the Superintendent, principal, the AD, any other administrator who wants one, the manager, the scorekeeper....

yet they can not give the team champions just 14... I am sure coaches would gladly give up their medals if it meant allowing all the kids to have one...

Speaking of sponsorship, why not forward some of these concerns to the corporate partners of the IHSAA. As the benefactor of sponsorship the IHSAA has a certain level of accountability to those corporate sponsors. If a couple of Farmers Insurance policy holders, for example, were to cancel their policies and explain to their agent that it is due to their displeasure with the IHSAA’s conduct in regard to a sport and event that is dear to them and which that corporation is affiliated through sponsorship. If they want to make it about money accommodate them. Just a thought!

In that same vain I would say that some of the sponsors may not be to pleased if they knew the IHSAA wasn't using the donated money in ways that would benefit the athletes?  I guess the good news is the cost of the medal isn't that bad for the winners.  Yet, at the same time I can see where the IHSAA basically saying it in that way is kind of a snub in itself since the didn't feel it was important enough to spring for the medals themselves.  Maybe it was a small enough sport where they handed the free medals out to the athletes but I could have sworn I've seen photos at the individual state competitions where some of the other team champions all had individual medals.  Could this be a newer policy by the IHSAA?  Though  I'm sure with all the money they pull in it wouldn't hurt them much to buy medals of the team champs too.

Is this practice of not giving medals  out (at least to champions and runners-up) indeed the same thing they do to every other individual team sport that has a connected team championship?  Especially if they are providing a huge number of medals to almost everyone associated with some of the team sport championship teams.

If Perry Meridian and Yorktown would post the amount of money a medal costs plus where money can be sent maybe the wrestling community could chip in and get all of these kids medals. 

I do not believe it is the place for the school or the wrestling team to buy them.  So I would be willing to sponsor one medal for each team.

I know in cross country the 7 runners all get a team medal, that includes 2 who did not count towards their team's score.  (The 8th alternate team member may also get a medal - I can't remember)  Cross country is a bit different that all of the team members get to participate at state regardless of their individual performance at sectionals, regionals, and semi state.  If the team moves on, then so does their worst varsity runner.

I'm curious what track does for their team medals.  My guess is that the starter of each event for the team champs and runner-up do not get a team medal because that would end up being a whole lot of medals for athletes who did not qualify for the state meet.

This all comes back to the IHSAA trying to treat all sports the same, when clearly every sport is different.  Blanket policies over all sports seem great for "fairness" but ultimately end up affecting each sport very differently.

Wow, I'm surprised at the response this post has gotten.  The main reason I asked is because I only saw a few Perry Meridian wrestlers with there medals.  The good side of this is if you want your whole team to get a medal then according to the IHSAA you can just buy one for $5.  I think I would pay $5 for my medal haha. 

Vito is correct just another example of the IHSAA being a JOKE. different standards but they can do it beecause they KNOW everything. maybe we should have them solve all the worlds problems, they are the only ones in the world smart enoiugh to do it.

I know it really sucks, but in a way they really did go back to the old way. I guess before the Duals series, they gave medals the same way, only the amount of qualifiers down at state. Again I totally disagree with this, and I hope that the IHSWCA and IHSAA can start to get on the same page soon before it is too late. There are many disagreements that need to be resolved, but both sides have to be able to not be stubborn.

How bad would it look if money was able to be raised (since they are only $5 a piece) and the additional medals were given to the teams right after the IHSAA gave there medals out.  I could see it now...IHSAA gives 5 or 6 medals then someone comes right in behind them and awards them 15 more medals per team.  I know this would cause a bigger rift than there already is but man it would be a nice slap in the face.  It would never happen but it makes me smile to think about it. 

So apparently IHSAA is cool with outside purchased awards now when before it was a no-no if not recognized by them.  :).  I still say the sponsors expect the kids to be receiving something on their investment when compared with the IHSAA's total take in from the state series. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.