state champ transfer

throw45

If this is true it seems to me to be a bit ridiculous..I am not sure what the point is...he is a state champion already and will certainly be in line for big time D1 programs already...Indiana Purdue etc....why would u move?  Listen, I don't know about the kids academics and other issues, but this strikes me as athletics and parents out of control..Maybe parents are moving for work or something and they chose to move there...who knows...I guess in wrestling it makes no sense to me....look  at someone like leroy vega...legendary local wrestler...Minnesota all american,,,now hall of fame and a great hs coach....what point would it be for a kid like him to move when he was  hs to some school in minnesota?  how would of that made any difference in the career he had...

Plus Mville great program...one of best in state...strikes me as arrogance

IS apple valley some private school?

If this is true it seems to me to be a bit ridiculous..I am not sure what the point is...he is a state champion already and will certainly be in line for big time D1 programs already...Indiana Purdue etc....why would u move?  Listen, I don't know about the kids academics and other issues, but this strikes me as athletics and parents out of control..Maybe parents are moving for work or something and they chose to move there...who knows...I guess in wrestling it makes no sense to me....look  at someone like leroy vega...legendary local wrestler...Minnesota all american,,,now hall of fame and a great hs coach....what point would it be for a kid like him to move when he was  hs to some school in minnesota?  how would of that made any difference in the career he had...

His dad has a job offer in Minnesota. I don't think it is a 100% but if your family moves usually you go with them. When they move to Minnesota if they choose to go to apple valley that is a choice they will have to make I'm sure the top high school wrestling team in the nation helps also.

If dad has job offer and they are moving for that reason then with the talent he has makes total sense to find best school with wrestling program and go there. Then NWI losing one of the most talented young athletes in a long time.  I wish him well and hope to see him on the Big ten network in the future.  He always wrestled with class and tremendous skill.

How will M'ville Semi State ever compete now with New Castle now? (Tongue firmly implanted in cheek) It would be nice if we could keep some studs coming up from heading to Mt. Carmel and now Apple Valley.. Best of luck to Bobby...Scottie Sopko now has to step it up!

It is interesting and somewhat disheartening, this situation excluded, how little community allegiance is shown in so many cases these days.  Lots of good programs losing kids for apparent greener pastures.  It is awesome to see kids from small and relatively obscure schools making their presence known on the big stage.  Nothing against big schools, they work hard  and deserve what they get, but I have tons of respect for kids and parents who haven't lost their sense of loyalty and pride for their "hometowns."

His dad has a job offer in Minnesota. I don't think it is a 100% but if your family moves usually you go with them. When they move to Minnesota if they choose to go to apple valley that is a choice they will have to make I'm sure the top high school wrestling team in the nation helps also.

Just curious.  Did his dad get a job offer from an Apple  Valley Booster?  I wouldn't call them the top high school team in the country but they did finish tied #1 in the the rankings with St Paris Graham a couple years ago.  I think ranked #11 this year last time i looked.  Apple Valley is keeping up with the Blair's & St Eds.  He's not the first notable kid to go to Apple Valley,  they had high school veteran freshman  Mark Hall move in from Michigan a couple of years ago who was ranked top 10 in country for pound for pound.

Bad break for Merrilville, and not sure of his intentions. He'll get a little more exposure and a pretty tough schedule, but he doesn't need the exposure as I bet most of the top 10 NCAA teams are recruiting him.

Will he redshirt a year to possibly get 4 state championships.  Been known to happen at Apple Valley.

If he transfers, does Merrilville get Stevenson's points for the Dual State tournament?

Steveson is a great kid,him and his family has worked hard for his well deserved state championship....hate to lose him next year but ultimately his family has to do what's best for them all.....GOOD LUCK BOBBY IN WHEREVER

YOU DECIDE TO GO!!!! THE PIRATES WILL DEFINETLY MISS YOU IF YOU GO!!!!

His dad might have a job oppertunity

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.