"Bad Time" in 120 Finals

RegionRoyalty

At the end of the first period, when Wilson is in on that double leg for 45 seconds on the edge with no change, the referee signals no takedown and his assistant overrules him and says that indeed it was a takedown.  My question for someone with a better understanding of the rules than I have, is could this have been an instance of "bad time" in the NFHS rulebook? Bad time can be called when a referee allows the wrestlers to take time off of the clock in the wrong position (in this case, neutral instead of Wilson on top and Hughes on bottom).  Time can then be put back on the clock.  Since the position did not change, when was it during that situation that control was established? If it was at the beginning, then was Wilson locking hands for 45 seconds without being penalized? This seemed to me to be an instance where "bad time" could have been called and that 45 seconds put back on the clock.  Unfortunate call, and the 2nd really bad one in two years at the State Finals for this highly rated official. (see Robinson/Kral out of bounds in 2012)

i don't think that Matters I think the original question is a very good one.

The origianl question, albeit a good one, doesn't matter since there is nothing anyone can do about it now. What I can do as a head coach is be more informed on the officials that have a tendency to make incorrect calls on the biggest stage.

At the end of the first period, when Wilson is in on that double leg for 45 seconds on the edge with no change, the referee signals no takedown and his assistant overrules him and says that indeed it was a takedown.  My question for someone with a better understanding of the rules than I have, is could this have been an instance of "bad time" in the NFHS rulebook? Bad time can be called when a referee allows the wrestlers to take time off of the clock in the wrong position (in this case, neutral instead of Wilson on top and Hughes on bottom).  Time can then be put back on the clock.  Since the position did not change, when was it during that situation that control was established? If it was at the beginning, then was Wilson locking hands for 45 seconds without being penalized? This seemed to me to be an instance where "bad time" could have been called and that 45 seconds put back on the clock.  Unfortunate call, and the 2nd really bad one in two years at the State Finals for this highly rated official. (see Robinson/Kral out of bounds in 2012)

The official is in charge of the match not the assistant. He never signaled a takedown, therefore there was no locked hands and henceforth no "bad time"

The origianl question, albeit a good one, doesn't matter since there is nothing anyone can do about it now. What I can do as a head coach is be more informed on the officials that have a tendency to make incorrect calls on the biggest stage.

Nothing can be done yes, but to say it doesn't matter would be incorrect. Getting a correct ruling on this can prepare a coach in the future should a similar situation arise.

They were just sitting there with no change of position.  I thought at e very least that a stalemate was warranted.

Thought the same thing.

I was discussing this match in" Refs clinic for parents?" at top . Hughs did have arms around waist  if memory is correct. What is correct call , TD , stalemate , need Refs for this answer ? Might be left up to refs discretion . Wilson never did work way up to the hip , we still have no clue as to the rule book..

Nothing can be done yes, but to say it doesn't matter would be incorrect. Getting a correct ruling on this can prepare a coach in the future should a similar situation arise.

I think most would agree that a "stalemate" call was the correct one unless you believe there was a TD achieved. As for the original question, it does not matter in the context of the match and that is what I meant.

I think most would agree that a "stalemate" call was the correct one unless you believe there was a TD achieved. As for the original question, it does not matter in the context of the match and that is what I meant.

I saw a guy in the stands that had the rule book AND case book as an iPhone app. It was pretty sweet and he said it was $5! You can also buy them at www.ihsaa.org and www.nfhs.org for about $7 each

if wasnt a takedown why didnt ref call stellmate way before the 45 sec

This was actually an easy takedown call, so they got it right.  But the ref prior to the end of the period,  was hoping the position would improve, but became indecisive and the result was  40-45 seconds of the match was lost.  The referee, if he believed this was not a takedown, and judged that the position wasn't going to change which was obvious, then a stalemate should of been called.

So if Joe thinks I'm wrong on this call,  then he can demote me from x-referree to towel boy on the Flo Nationals JV mat.

Good question on this.  The point here is that "position" is in reference to a restart of the match.  On a restart if there was a mess up with offense restarting as defense or if there was control and restarting in the neutral position, or vice versa, now you have bad time.  In the case you discuss, there was no bad time. 

• 2 weeks later...

IMO and just IMO, what if they had somewhat of a rule change. How about giving the guy on the takedown just one point and come back to the middle in nuetral. This would be the same as the Robinson/Kral match. The only thing I felt Robinson did wrong was that he hit that same toss move knowing that Kral and all of us fans knew it was coming and Kral counter it. Overall, it is tough being an official in any sport.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.