Even a Masters champ agrees

S-Brooks

If the Olympics isn't the pinnacle of a sport then the sport shouldn't be in the Olympics.  Sports like golf, tennis, soccer and basketball are all played professionally and an Olympic title doesn't come close to a Masters victory, Wimbledon championship, World Cup championship or NBA championship.

If the Olympics isn't the pinnacle of a sport then the sport shouldn't be in the Olympics.  Sports like golf, tennis, soccer and basketball are all played professionally and an Olympic title doesn't come close to a Masters victory, Wimbledon championship, World Cup championship or NBA championship.

That is one of the most logically sound thoughts I have ever heard on this matter.  Thank you for that.

Why cant the worlds be the pinnicle of our sport? wouldnt have to deal with the obviously corrupt IOC?

Why cant the worlds be the pinnicle of our sport? wouldnt have to deal with the obviously corrupt IOC?

It can be.  But accepting your gold medal in front of 4,000 Azerbaijanis is a big step down from being interviewed in the studio with Bob Costas in front of all of America. 

If by "back-room garbage", you mean taking a couple guys to dinner and helping them understand the history and extent of wrestling and its culture...then yes we have to do it.  And it seems like we didn't.  if you mean handshakes laced with benjamins, then obviously we would hope we don't stoop to that level.

I can't agree more with Joe Caprino. I have expressed that before but not as succinctly and eloquently. Get rid of the sports that the Olympics aren't the ultimate championship and there would be plenty of room for all of the other sports.

Now that doesn't mean FILA doesn't need to clean up its act with these crappy scoring rules,ball pulls etc. They have done all they can to ruin a great sport as it is. Ok flame away I can take it.

If by "back-room garbage", you mean taking a couple guys to dinner and helping them understand the history and extent of wrestling and its culture...then yes we have to do it.  And it seems like we didn't.  if you mean handshakes laced with benjamins, then obviously we would hope we don't stoop to that level.

An example of the backroom garbage would be the German guy asking the British guy  "vote to keep fencing", and  I'll vote to keep rowing, or the Spanish guy who is the  VP of the Modern Pentathlon saying to the Chinese Taipai guy, vote to keep Modern Pentathlon and vote against wrestling and I'll vote to  keep Tae Kwon Do.  It's probably like an episode of Survivor.

As much as it pains me, I have to agree with Y2.

What do you mean Nick? Why can’t the worlds be the pinnacle? Well, because it’s not the Olympics. Joe nailed that post about the ISWA. I don’t really understand your solution.

Are you suggesting every time we have a battle we just move on.  Oh, we are out of the Olympics, let’s just focus on the worlds then.

I guess when Arizona State was dropping the wrestling program your solution was just to concentrate on the other colleges ?

Y2 Agreement – Recovery Groups. A Brighter Future.

Agreeing with Y2 and depression are certainly the terrible twosome. They occur together about two-thirds of the time and almost 60% of our poll respondents said the same.

The research on depression and Y2 agreement tells us that Y2 agreement causes depression and that depression causes Y2 agreement. Both of these make sense from an experiential point of view. When we get stressed out many people respond by slowing down. When we get depressed we often agree with Y2.

I agree that if the Olympics ( participating and hopefully getting a medal) is the pinnacle of a sport,  that sport belongs in the Olympics.  Sports like golf ( Masters, British open etc) Tennis ( Wimbldon) have no real place in the Olympics. That being said why is there a limit on the number of sports. I am sure that many people that follow a sport would go t the venue to watch it if they werer to travel to an Olympics. I would go see track and wrestling but I would pass on Rhythnic gymnastics. I would not go to see Basketball since the best B Ball is march madness or the pro finals. etc...............

By the way. For those suggesting that we just move on from the Olympics, cough-fabio-cough, here is the mission statement from USA Wrestling.

USA Wrestling, guided by the Olympic Spirit, provides quality opportunities

for its members to achieve their full human and athletic potential.

So the USA wrestling is guided by bribery and corruption?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.