Why wrestling must be saved!!

Coach Wadkins

My daughter Megan's message, in her petition to the International Olympic Committee, after it was announced today that wrestling would be discontinued as an Olympic sport in the 2020 games. This is just one of the myriad reasons I am so proud she is my daughter...and a much more eloquent writer than myself.

"I've seen countless wrestlers turn their futures around with real-world applications of life lessons learned on a mat. In an age that enables immediate gratification, this sport forces those who would succeed to work hard. In an age that condones the pursuit of whims, this sport forces its best to practice intense self-discipline. In an age that embraces a hideous lack of sportsmanship, this sport forces participants to accept victories as well as losses with grace. Wrestling's not a hobby; it's a lifestyle, and I don't want to see the day when this lifestyle is no longer appreciated."

Megan Wadkins, University of Oklahoma, Class of 2016

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.