Tournament Team Scoring

indyt

Could one of the "older" coaches let us know if the Friday Night round was scored when they used individual scoring before we went to the State Duals?

I would think so, and if so, then why wouldnt they just go back to that way?  Why the constant changes?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does this mean that the first quarter of basketball won't count for the final scores?  Why not move the starting blocks up at track state 10 meters?

This defies logic, common sense, and basic leadership.  Why weren't coaches given input in this decision (I am assuming they weren't)?

Could one of the "older" coaches let us know if the Friday Night round was scored when they used individual scoring before we went to the State Duals?

I would think so, and if so, then why wouldnt they just go back to that way?  Why the constant changes?

I'm not a coach, but yes, Friday night was scored back in the days before the team series was introduced.

Not scoring the first round of the state Finals is RIDICULOUS!!! 

It is a 16 man tournament with no Byes.  It should be scored per Nat'l Federation rules just like every other tournament.

Personally, I have been to every state tournament the past 41 years. Creating a state team champion on the individual placewinners of this tournament can add some extra excitement to the tournament, but only a few people in the stands will understand how a tournament like this is scored round by round.

I still feel the best way to determine a TRUE team champion is to wreatle a Dual Meet Tournament, but that now is a moot point, so let's hope we have an exciting weekend of individual efforts and team accomplishments.

Regardless of what team scores the most points this weekend . I think everyone already knows that Perry Meridian is the best TEAM in the state this year .

You're probably right.  But this more affects than first place.    Don't they give trophies out for 2nd and 3rd, and its going to be very close.

You're probably right.  But this more affects than first place.    Don't they give trophies out for 2nd and 3rd, and its going to be very close.

This has been beaten to death . But team scoring at the individual state tournement is not an accurate measurement for 2nd or 3rd either . Let me give you an example from the northern part of the state . Penn beat Mishawaka in a dual this year , outcsored them in Sectional , Regional and Semistate . But I bet Mishawaka outscores Penn this weekend because Mish has 4 guys that can go deep into the tournement . I believe 2 are capable of being champions . By looking at the draw , Penn might get 2 wrestlers through to Saturday . Does this mean Mishawaka is better than Penn ?

It does according to the IHSAA

Thats what makes the IHSAA way of determining rules for our sport such a joke, throwing out the 1st round of scoring would be no better than not scoring points on the scoreboard in the basketball finals until the 2nd quater starts... ???

When will people realize this is a 4 week tournament ,plenty of wrestle backs. Enter 14 final round this week ,many things happen

good ,bad, great ,heart breaking. Points must count in all rounds. Why? IHSAA wants to make sure best dual meet team wins

AKA PM. This will happen with out help. IHSAA tried to fix this with more wrestlers . I like true tourney champs score all points.

According to the Winter bulletin they should score every match at state

http://www.ihsaa.org/Portals/0/ihsaa/documents/quick%20resources/Winter%20Bulletin.pdf

Scoring

Individual and team scoring shall be decided according to Rule 9 in the current Wrestling Rules. Six places shall be awarded

at the sectional. CONTINUING FROM 2009‐10 – Team scoring in the sectional shall begin at the quarter‐finals level and not

before. Only six places shall be awarded at the regional and semi‐state levels. Scoring at the Regional and Semi‐State level

will begin at the round of eight.

Are we sure it is this way for State? In the bulletin says Regional and Semi-State. No mention of State.

Seems like the only half logical explanation may be they only want those who have reached a placement status to be point scorers.  If I'm looking at it right it seems like that's where the points begin at each level of the state series.  If that's right and is their logic its still poor in my view. 

Seems like the only half logical explanation may be they only want those who have reached a placement status to be point scorers.  If I'm looking at it right it seems like that's where the points begin at each level of the state series.  If that's right and is their logic its still poor in my view.

If you lose Friday night, you dont score any team points

Even if you win Friday night, you don't get your 2 advancement plus your 0 to 2 quality of decision points...and your placement points will be scored sometime on Saturday. So the team score after Friday night will be a multiple-way tie for 1st with 0 points.

it says on ihsaa.org that it is taken straight from the NFHS wrestling rules.

All other rounds are scored based on NFHS- but the first round no points thing is a crazy Indiana tradition.  I find it hard to believe it indicates anywhere you don't score any points.  The insanity of this is its so hard to score state points with 320+ schools competing in the same tournament, and they want to make it harder to score points.  Its weird. 

Even if you win Friday night, you don't get your 2 advancement plus your 0 to 2 quality of decision points...and your placement points will be scored sometime on Saturday. So the team score after Friday night will be a multiple-way tie for 1st with 0 points.

Well, you will still have to score one point...... 8th place will be guaranteed

That's what I was saying.  Must have not been clear on how it was said.  It looks like only those who have reached the point of actually placing (top 8) have advanced to a round that will allow you to score team point.  Anything occurring before that point at each of the levels was not given points. If I am looking at how it breaks down throughout the entire state series that seems to be the case with all rounds. The only explanation I can see the IHSAA using which has some sort of logic (though I don't agree with it) is that they want to score team point after individuals have reached placement criteria. 

Which is stupid we are determining the best teams in the state we should be as accurate as possible so now instead of Friday night having any meaning for the team is gone...just tell ur kids to win and thats it. whats gonna be the exscuse for when its a clsoe team race and the missing 7-10 points from friday night would be the diference from 1st and 2nd...its lazy plain and simple...there is no extra time added its literally MATH that is CHOSEN to not be done...maybe in dual meets we should have the only the last 10 matches wrestled scored better hope your studs arent wrestling first...

I really don't think they get why its even a problem nor are they willing to take the time to concern themselves with learning about it.  What else would account for the comment in the Indystar about (paraphrasing) "that's what the set up has been."  Anyone that looks at it rationally can see that how the rat-tail round of sectionals works as far as scoring is a completely different situation from the other rounds of the competition.  Yet it seems they don't want to bother taking the time to learn the difference between the two.    I can get not have a clear understanding of how the system work, if you haven't looked at it closely before.  But what I don't understand is why wouldn't a person at least take the time to try and understand it better when multiple people point out a glaring flaw.  That just complacency and it has no place in an organization that says they promote what its best for the schools and student-athlete they represent.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.