Sliga vs Howe

iWatch

This would be a great match to watch!

Oh brother - this again?  Howe would destroy Sliga, even giving up 20 lbs, no disrespect to Mr. Sliga.

Howe was college ready right away - went 2nd, 1st, and 3rd at the NCAA's.  Do you know how hard it is for a true freshman to place at 165? That guy has a head you could beat with a tire iron and he would not feel it.  He would likely be considered Indiana's best high school wrestling product to date. 

Everyone can agree that Mr. Sliga is accomplished at the Cadet level, has the opportunity to go 3,3,1,1 in Indiana, but rarely do you find big guys committed to wrestling full time, thus one could question the level of competition he faced in Indiana.  Because of that, we may not be able to fully appreciate Sliga's credentials until is college career is progressing.  That's why you look at the NCAA rankings each year at 197, you see a lot of no-names guys from MAC schools, Wyoming, mid-size Pennsylvania schools, etc. because these guys were probably very good football players / athletes that also wrestled part time, but  then dedicate full time to wrestling in college and take off...

Oh brother - this again?  Howe would destroy Sliga, even giving up 20 lbs, no disrespect to Mr. Sliga.

Howe was college ready right away - went 2nd, 1st, and 3rd at the NCAA's.  Do you know how hard it is for a true freshman to place at 165? That guy has a head you could beat with a tire iron and he would not feel it.  He would likely be considered Indiana's best high school wrestling product to date. 

Everyone can agree that Mr. Sliga is accomplished at the Cadet level, has the opportunity to go 3,3,1,1 in Indiana, but rarely do you find big guys committed to wrestling full time, thus one could question the level of competition he faced in Indiana.  Because of that, we may not be able to fully appreciate Sliga's credentials until is college career is progressing.  That's why you look at the NCAA rankings each year at 197, you see a lot of no-names guys from MAC schools, Wyoming, mid-size Pennsylvania schools, etc. because these guys were probably very good football players / athletes that also wrestled part time, but  then dedicate full time to wrestling in college and take off...

Do you know how hard it it is to place at 189# as a Freshman in IN?  I would guess that over the past 30 years, that has happened less often than a true freshman to place in the NCAAs at 165.

Both have had GREAT careers.  I dont get to see Sliga much and if I remember right Howe pinned or teched all of his tournament (sect, reg, SS, and state) opponets his senior year. that is impressive . I dont know , has Sliga  done that this year? I would not be surprised but i dont know if he has done that so far? 

Do you know how hard it it is to place at 189# as a Freshman in IN?  I would guess that over the past 30 years, that has happened less often than a true freshman to place in the NCAAs at 165.

Admirable and impressive no doubt, Sliga is very, very good. But it also worked to his advantage later staying at that weight.

But by his Senior year, Howe was just on another planet relative to everyone at the state tournament. Went on to win Fargo, was high school 192-1 and his only loss was as a freshman in the finals against Reece Humphrey who was a senior top national college recruit for Ohio State. 

Sliga will have a great advantage in college in that he has always been wrestling the 189-197 weight, so he won't have to worry about growing into the weight class, but he will face some great athletes in the Big Ten.

lol... wait you're joking right?

Agreed. I love me some Sliga but come on its HOWE HS by Maj or collge Howe by TF

Howe not injured he takes Burroughs the distance, if Howe wrestled for another country he would have placed top 3 at Olympics. I honestly believe he was bronze or silver if healthy & was allowed to wrestle just happens #1 in the world is at his weight same country!

Sliga future is very bright but until he's got 4 yrs post HS to compare to Howe, this isn't even a discussion

Agreed. I love me some Sliga but come on its HOWE HS by Maj or collge Howe by TF

Howe not injured he takes Burroughs the distance, if Howe wrestled for another country he would have placed top 3 at Olympics. I honestly believe he was bronze or silver if healthy & was allowed to wrestle just happens #1 in the world is at his weight same country!

Sliga future is very bright but until he's got 4 yrs post HS to compare to Howe, this isn't even a discussion

Man, I really wish I could give you some cool points! Sliga is a great wrestler no doubt but would never belong on the same mat as HOWE. If he wrestled for another country I would put money on it that he would be top 3

Both have had GREAT careers.  I dont get to see Sliga much and if I remember right Howe pinned or teched all of his tournament (sect, reg, SS, and state) opponets his senior year. that is impressive . I dont know , has Sliga  done that this year? I would not be surprised but i dont know if he has done that so far?

He only major decisions Duckworth from Union County in the finals at state. He was 2 points away from a tech fall though...I would give the nod to Howe though seeing as Duckworth beat Sliga too...yes that was a couple of years ago but still something to go by

He only major decisions Duckworth from Union County in the finals at state. He was 2 points away from a tech fall though...I would give the nod to Howe though seeing as Duckworth beat Sliga too...yes that was a couple of years ago but still something to go by

Senior Duckworth vs. Freshman Sliga is not a good thing to go on, in my opinion.  You have to compare wrestlers when they are the same age, to have a fair comparison.  Senior Howe vs. Senior Sliga would be a good match.  I would expect low scoring, because Howe would be giving up a lot of size.  Howe is one of the greatest, but Sliga is in that discussion, too.

Senior Duckworth vs. Freshman Sliga is not a good thing to go on, in my opinion.  You have to compare wrestlers when they are the same age, to have a fair comparison.  Senior Howe vs. Senior Sliga would be a good match.  I would expect low scoring, because Howe would be giving up a lot of size.  Howe is one of the greatest, but Sliga is in that discussion, too.

Compare both of their high school careers...Sliga, assuming he wins out which I believe he will, has lost 4-5? Matches...Howe's only loss was in the finals match too Reece Humphrey by a point...I'm not saying Sliga isn't tough as nails, but I think Howe would beat him pretty easily

Compare both of their high school careers...Sliga, assuming he wins out which I believe he will, has lost 4-5? Matches...Howe's only loss was in the finals match too Reece Humphrey by a point...I'm not saying Sliga isn't tough as nails, but I think Howe would beat him pretty easily

I guess I have a difference in opinion, because of the size difference.  Sliga taking 3rd as a freshman, at that weight class, in my opinion, is as impressive of any freshman performance that I have seen.  He was a 14/15 y/o kid wrestling mostly 17/18 y/o kids.  I don't knock him for losing the few matches that he did.  Does anyone have any knowledge of Howe defeating opponents as much larger that Sliga is as a senior, when Howe was a senior?

I'm hoping that the OP was referring to Sliga as a high school senior vs. Howe as a high school senior, or this is a candidate for most ridiculous post of the year.  I think a senior Howe would probably beat Sliga by 5 or 6 points, might have even been able to get the major.  He was just on a different level at that point in his career.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.