So MD when is it time to bring in Mauer and Coughlin to coach?

Jayruss

I am not a MD alum but rather just someone who grew up & wrestled in Evansville. I do not personally know Mike Goebel or Greg Schaefer, but I will say as a fan of H.S. wrestling that I have the utmost respect for the MD wrestling program & both men.

From what I have witnessed of coach Schaefer, he is a good man doing a good job. His only problem is he followed Goebel at a point where the MD program had just gone on the most impressive run in Indiana H.S. wrestling history.

I heard about this thread yesterday from a someone in the Gibson Southern Community.  Even though I know Greg would never let this get him down because he has been through far tougher journeys, I felt compelled to make a statement on this topic...

I would like to start with that this was my 5th year coaching at the high school level, 1st as a head coach.  I worked under David Grant at Westerville North High School in Ohio(2 years), Rick Stenftenagel at Jasper High School(1 year), and Greg Schaefer at Mater Dei High School last season.  All 3 Coaches are very good and I am very fortunate to have learned so many things from them all...

But what I learned from Greg has been very critical in my molding of becoming a better coach and more importantly, a better man...and the thing Greg knows in wrestling is that its not about your final destination, but your journey with your coaches and teammates.  There's no doubt Greg, his staff, and his athletes had higher expectations at Semi-State---which is one reason the program is so great---they expect more(which is also why people are so hard on the program)---but everything doesn't always work out.  And what makes every wrestlers own journy special and unique is the amount of adversity he/she endures.  I can tell you I was personally proud of the young men at MD that lost in the ticket round cause they went down swinging...yes the pain of losing will be there for a while but its a pain they can live with cause they gave it their all...and that's what matters---learning to give it all you've got! 

Here's a question to ask...Why do you think MD has such a strong following?...Is it because everyone that's wrestled for MD was a state qualifer, placer, or champ?...Heck no!...I'd say most of the fans in the stands had some great experiences with their coaches and teammates wearing the red and gold for MD and take pride in the fact that they battled when they were on the mat, just like the kids are today!  And here's something everyone should understand...Experience and Confidence go hand-in-hand and right now MD has some youth that lacks experience at this point in the state tournament.  Must remember that they are teenage boys and surroundings can get to you if you haven't been there before.  As said in an earlier post, MD fans were spoiled for a while....but don't worry, you have a lot of youth that is working very hard!

In closing, I just want to say that Matt Coughlin and I are not MD's Savior because there's nothing to be saved from!  You have an excellent Program! Excellent Head Coach! With a staff that has loads of state experience in Nick Dewig, Craig Macke, Zeke Zenthoefer, and Jeremy Goebel...And don't worry MD...At this point in time, NOONE works harder or wants to see MD succeed more than Greg Schaefer!...So I think you're in great hands!

Blake Maurer

I am completely in awe of the complete stupidity it takes to post something like this in the first place.

Mater Dei is a program that has set the pace for the growth and expansion of our sport in the South Western Indiana area.  Like them or not, you MUST respect their accomplishments and those of their coaching staff and supporters.

I am NOT a MD fan, and I will admit to enjoying watching them defeated, but ONLY because it was what has pushed and driven so many young men and coaches to reach for the level of excellence required to do so.  To have a win over ANY Mater Dei team is a nice bullet statement on any resume. 

I for one respect anyone who steps into the driver seat of a program that has enjoyed such unrivaled success and dared to bring their vision to such a storied program. 

Maybe if people took the time to look at things as they REALLY are and not buried their heads so far up their backsides they saw their own tonsils they could realize that Wrestling in the state is stronger due to the drive and determination of programs that have chased down the Mater Dei's of the state.  Thus without the Mater Dei's of the world, their would be no bar to shoot for.

Go a head...take your idiot shots at the comments I have made.  It only proves you are a part of the problem, and not of the cure.

I'm not from Evansville..I'm from Hobart..so for me to have any opinion on how things are being run there would be silly. Let me just say that it is a young team that seems to have some real talent. I was at Middle school state yesterday and saw a boatload more Mater-Dei talent coming up. I think that it is shameful to basically pit alumni against one another ..especially with what those guys all mean to Mater-Dei and Indiana wrestling in general..and to me..again an outsider it sounds like some kind of sour grapes. Indiana wrestling is better when Mater-Dei is a top 3 program and I would not doubt if they are again real soon.

I heard about this thread yesterday from a someone in the Gibson Southern Community.  Even though I know Greg would never let this get him down because he has been through far tougher journeys, I felt compelled to make a statement on this topic...

I would like to start with that this was my 5th year coaching at the high school level, 1st as a head coach.  I worked under David Grant at Westerville North High School in Ohio(2 years), Rick Stenftenagel at Jasper High School(1 year), and Greg Schaefer at Mater Dei High School last season.  All 3 Coaches are very good and I am very fortunate to have learned so many things from them all...

But what I learned from Greg has been very critical in my molding of becoming a better coach and more importantly, a better man...and the thing Greg knows in wrestling is that its not about your final destination, but your journey with your coaches and teammates.  There's no doubt Greg, his staff, and his athletes had higher expectations at Semi-State---which is one reason the program is so great---they expect more(which is also why people are so hard on the program)---but everything doesn't always work out.  And what makes every wrestlers own journy special and unique is the amount of adversity he/she endures.  I can tell you I was personally proud of the young men at MD that lost in the ticket round cause they went down swinging...yes the pain of losing will be there for a while but its a pain they can live with cause they gave it their all...and that's what matters---learning to give it all you've got! 

Here's a question to ask...Why do you think MD has such a strong following?...Is it because everyone that's wrestled for MD was a state qualifer, placer, or champ?...Heck no!...I'd say most of the fans in the stands had some great experiences with their coaches and teammates wearing the red and gold for MD and take pride in the fact that they battled when they were on the mat, just like the kids are today!  And here's something everyone should understand...Experience and Confidence go hand-in-hand and right now MD has some youth that lacks experience at this point in the state tournament.  Must remember that they are teenage boys and surroundings can get to you if you haven't been there before.  As said in an earlier post, MD fans were spoiled for a while....but don't worry, you have a lot of youth that is working very hard!

In closing, I just want to say that Matt Coughlin and I are not MD's Savior because there's nothing to be saved from!  You have an excellent Program! Excellent Head Coach! With a staff that has loads of state experience in Nick Dewig, Craig Macke, Zeke Zenthoefer, and Jeremy Goebel...And don't worry MD...At this point in time, NOONE works harder or wants to see MD succeed more than Greg Schaefer!...So I think you're in great hands!

Blake Maurer

Thanks Blake for your response. I doubt that this will hush the critics, but coming from a man of your stature and expertise, i sure hope that they re-evaluate..

Mater Dei is Mater Dei.  Their record speaks for itself.  Every team has a rebuild year but to say they dont cherry pick might be over stating things...

your right!  like this year when they recruited the star halfback from Henderson for football.  oh wait. that was retiz.  or last year when they recruited the 145 poundder that qualified for semi state.  hang on!  that was the kids that reitz got from md.

heck, i guess im stuck.

your right!  like this year when they recruited the star halfback from Henderson for football.  oh wait. that was retiz.  or last year when they recruited the 145 poundder that qualified for semi state.  hang on!  that was the kids that reitz got from md.

heck, i guess im stuck.

:o

heck, i guess im stuck.

Why do you care?  Because you or your kid was not good enough to get "recruited"?  Parents make sacrifices, and put their children in the best positions to be succesful.  Some have that opportunity to do this at private programs, and some do not.  That is called life. 

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.