Ethics Committee

aoberlin

What would it take for an ethics committee to be created?  From my understanding this would be a positive step towards working more with the IHSAA which in turn would hopefully help with getting wrestle backs put in place.

Also what power would they have and what are some examples of when they would enforce those powers?

Just to stop anyone from taking this personal.  I really am not talking about any situation in particular.  I am just very strongly in support of wrestle backs and there were quite a few instances that it would have been great to have yesterday.  And it is like that every single year. 

I don't think it would be hard to do.

1. Join the IHSWCA

2. Find people who feel strongly about the need for an ethics committee

3. Email someone on the IHSWCA board your idea

4. At a monthly meeting the idea would be discussed

5. It would be brought up and voted for at the next monthly meeting.

I would recommend that those interested in starting an ethics committee attend a monthly meeting, and bring up your want/ concern for such a committee.

The IHSWCA has a lot of committee's already, and the volunteers get thin at times.  I have served on three, and currently serve on two committee's.  I would be willing to bet that the IHSWCA would have no problem with such a committee being formed if there were people willing to volunteer their time to work on it, and people willing to follow through on the commitments that the committee would call for.

It's my understanding that Luginbill v Malcolm was a very controversial match that might have been able to take advantage of something like this. Not saying it would've changed the outcome, but at least then we'd know somebody looked into it.

the ethics committee which aoberlin is advocating would exist to help implement wrestlebacks which would have given malcom a chance to go to state. I dont think hes talking about an ethics committee which could convene and actually address situations like the one  that occurred between ac and carroll. I could be wrong,  however.

the ethics committee which aoberlin is advocating would exist to help implement wrestlebacks which would have given malcom a chance to go to state. I dont think hes talking about an ethics committee which could convene and actually address situations like the one  that occurred between ac and carroll. I could be wrong,  however.

No you are correct. 

Aoberlin, I think we normally agree, but...  :-[

We are preparing young men for the world that exists away from the mat.  With that in mind, if I am not the one picked in a job interview is there a consolation round?  If you are not number one, well, you are not the one.  When I was a wrestler I trained that way, and as a professional I prepare the same way.  In life you get one chance.  It is what it is.

Aoberlin, I think we normally agree, but...  :-[

We are preparing young men for the world that exists away from the mat.  With that in mind, if I am not the one picked in a job interview is there a consolation round?  If you are not number one, well, you are not the one.  When I was a wrestler I trained that way, and as a professional I prepare the same way.  In life you get one chance.  It is what it is.

This analogy is weak at best. Comparing job advancement to a high school kid and advancing thru the state tournament series is apples and oranges. There are so many gaping holes in your reasoning it borders on the nonsensical.

Just one man's opinion/philosophy  :o

What is the point of HS again?  If we are a productive, capitalistic economy we will need a steady supply of competition, winner-takes-all attitude workforce.

The Grammy Awards are on TV at my house.  What is your stance on 2nd & 3rd place for artist of the year?

...makes me think of the 'Most Improved Award'.  Does this ever make you wonder 'how bad were they'?  At what age do we simply reward the best?  When is ok to say there is not second, third, etc.? 

I was fourth.  I realize that moment the horn went off that I gave enough effort for fourth.  My family celebrated that effort and the result that Saturday night.  Now, the reality was that I put in a 1st place effort on Sunday (in something other than wrestling).  The point is that losing taught me something that consolations would not have.

Just one man's opinion/philosophy  :o

What is the point of HS again?  If we are a productive, capitalistic economy we will need a steady supply of competition, winner-takes-all attitude workforce.

The Grammy Awards are on TV at my house.  What is your stance on 2nd & 3rd place for artist of the year?

...makes me think of the 'Most Improved Award'.  Does this ever make you wonder 'how bad were they'?  At what age do we simply reward the best?  When is ok to say there is not second, third, etc.? 

I was fourth.  I realize that moment the horn went off that I gave enough effort for fourth.  My family celebrated that effort and the result that Saturday night.  Now, the reality was that I put in a 1st place effort on Sunday (in something other than wrestling).  The point is that losing taught me something that consolations would not have.

Not a bad argument at all.  We just differ on what the ultimate goal is for some kids.  My opinion is that for many of them it is punching the ticket and not bringing home the gold.  Other than that we are on the same page.

If this committee would address a list of issues I might support it: water bottles at weigh-ins, water bottles during a break in OT, too many coaches at the table, too many coaches/staff in the corner, Merriville SS, the price of shaved ice, etc.

Take on all the issues that have litte, or nothing to do with putting points on the board and take this out of the officials hands!

Let's never forget shaking hands with everyone after the match that you got you butt handed to you, got a bad call, or the flu!

water bottles during a break in OT, too many coaches at the table

I know you were being tongue and cheek.  But I actually have a problem with these 2 things and would love a committee that would be able to address these things.  It is to hard for a ref to control everything around him and make sure the match is being scored correctly.  So yes I would love to see a coach that is crossing the line when it comes to things like this get punished for it. 

It isn't the coaches wrestling it is the wrestlers.  I can't stand a coach or referee for that matter that tries to insert themselves into the match.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.