Looking for someone who heads all the womens wrestling in indiana

treefiddy

Hello I am a coach for Brownsburg MS and I have 2 girls on my team currently. One is in 8th grade(125/130) and the other is in 6th grade(115). My 8th grader has been talking to me about wanting to get more involved in the sport and looking for scholarship opportunities. I have told her I know that the womens wrestling is starting to pick up in colleges. I was wondering if you have any advice or could send me anything to help these young ladies and help keep them involved in the sport.

The best thing to do is to start wrestling in Women's event whenever and wherever you can find them.  I would particularly make a strong effort to attend every national women's tournament from MS through HS.  By being there, improving, getting your name out there, all will get colleges to start looking at your women wrestlers for scholarships.  Colleges want women that have shown a pattern of attending all of the events.  You do not have to be the best to get recognized, they are looking for really good students, wrestlers that will work hard, and wrestlers that will fit in their program and most importantly stay in their program.  The money and time you spend will be rewarded by a good scholarship at a quality private university or college. 

You can contact me anytime for information or questions @ iswawmnsdirector@aol.com or 513-375-4903

Have them start now by attending the Women's Tourney at St. Leon, IN (East Central HS) on March 3rd!!  Contact me or look here on Indianamat.com or on Facebook at Team Indiana Girls Wrestling.  We are taking a group to OKC late next month and will have HS and MS women wrestlers going.  I will getting out information in the next few days about all the upcoming womens events!!

• 3 weeks later...

@ treefiddy  good luck to your female wrestlers & male wrestlers!!  Off season is the best way to obtain a lot of mat time & mat time is what will help the wrestler in the long run.  I know from experience that it's not cheap by no means for all the events & I would have to say that when you take the girls to the tournaments go along with them (if you can) as they know your coaching style & that is what they are used to. Going to the tournaments is one thing but not having individuals in your weight class & knowing that if you wrestle with the boys you will have mat time, it might be about getting your name out there but if you are competing verses just receiving a metal/ribbon because you was the only one your weight class.  A lot of options out there & the tournaments on trackwrestling.com should be legit good organized & ran smoothly tournaments as the brackets are all filled out for you if you enter the data into trackwrestling.com EC wasn't ran smoothly this year nor last year & truly sad because it's a women's tourney & the director (strub1) is running the whole EC event.  May you all have a great off season.