Middle school state

thebrolife41

I agree... it looks like it may have used the TrackWrestling Profile Percentage to handle the seeds, which isn't always an accurate depending on the quality of tournaments a wrestler attends.  Seeing Alec White vs. Breydon Bailey as a first round match just stinks... that is certainly worthy of the finals.

I saw that too. Considering that users can manipulate their own track profile and delete tournaments that would otherwise count against their percentage makes it even more inaccurate.  The wrestle back to true second does, in a way, right the wrong though. It shouldn't happen that a kid is a two time finalist at this event and is coming out of the middle of the bracket. Just at a glance I see several kids seeded that haven't placed here yet, seeded ahead of kids who have. I've used the function before. Asking for criteria at registration from this event last year. Then track will seed automatically. Common opponents are relevant for ranking not seeding. In spite of the gaff we are looking forword to a great tournament.

The purpose of seeding a tournament like this is to separate the better wrestlers from meeting each other in the first couple rounds.  There is no perfect system for a tournament like this and this is way better than a random draw.

I don't totally disagree, and perfection isn't required... but previous placement at this event is by far the most logical criteria, and it seemed to work well. Until this year... I'm sure it'll work out fine though. We'll just really look forward to getting a shot at the seeded wrestlers. I'm thankful for the extra motivation...

It is tough to see this happen right off the bat like others have said, it could be worse. Most of the brackets look like the have seperated out fairly well but with a tournament this size with a bunch of wrestlers without previous information it gets tricky(especially if you can manipulate info on trackwrestling). Good thing for full wrestle backs so Alec or Breyden have a shot at still getting 2nd.

Should be a good day of wrestling, can't wait.

I have to agree that wrestlers being able to manipulate their trackwrestling profile can cause some issues. think that should be done away with. But.... From what I saw, in about 4 of the weight classes, didn't look horrible.... I've seen alot worse.

Here's one for you. My son won greco state last year. I signed him up last night and when I finished it said that he had a different track wrestling profile, again after I signed him up. Come to find out our club president signed him up underhis real first name last week for the Brownsburg tournament (who didn't even use track at their tournament) instead of the name (which is his middle name) that he has wrestled under for several years. Now his profile shows a 0-0 record and he is stuck in the middle of the bracket. Will make for an interesting day. Not real happy with the president of our club after this one!

Congrats to the Perry Meridian Middle School Team for winning Individual Middle School State at the middle school level.  Even the kids that did not place wrestled hard in some tough brackets.  Congrats to placewinners Riley Miller, Rodrigo Diaz, Noah Warren, state runner up Aaron Cravens and State champ Tristen Tonte.  Keep the great season rolling boys. 

In spite of the silly seeding thing. Once again an excellent, well run event similar to some of the better national events. Thank you.

Congrats to the Perry team on their team championship. Looks like the tradition will continue.

On a side note. Perry wins it with 191 points and 30 wrestlers. RWA 285 points with 18 wrestlers. I understand the differance and that RWA is not a Middle School team(there were several other non Middle School team scoring as well that finished behind Perry). RWA does have it goin on....

Agree with you guys, great event. Good too see and speak with many of you.

Congrats to the Avon kids. We had 16 attend from our township. We had 4 kids in the finals with one champ (Mason Miranda). We had 6 total placers and a handful one match short. The 16 kids from our school district scored 168 points. Look forward to improving on this very soon.

Congrats tp Perry on their great season. They continue to be on the top of Indiana wrestling. Just getting 30 kids there is awesome. We should all strive to catch them.

Congratulations to the kids from Mater Dei.  They took 12 kids and finished in 2nd place with 179 points, 12 points behind Perry Meridian (30 Kids) for the team title.  They had 7 total placers.  Michael Boots, Kurtis Wilderman and Clay Egli finish 5th. Dawson Matherly finished 4th.  Kyle Luigs and Wyatt Montgomery finished 3rd.  and Will Egli finished 2nd.  Thanks to all for a great tournament.

Does Mater Dei have an actual middle school or a middle school team? Not for sure and just curious.

They are part of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Evansville School System.  Which includes Several Elementary through High Schools.  I believe their elementary system is K-8 in most areas.  Depending on what area of Evansville you are in would help determine if you go to Reitz or MD for high school.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:EvansvilleDiocese.png

I'm guessing there are approximately a dozen catholic elementary schools in Evansville (grades 1-8).  Roughly half would feed into Mater Dei and half into Memorial.  They are smaller schools in terms of enrollment.  Of course, kids in those schools are able to go to the public high schools and some kids will end up at Mater Dei or Memorial that went to public elementary schools. 

Also there are a handful of catholic kids that attend Mater Dei or Memorial from outside the feeder system coming from areas like Mt. Vernon, Castle or Henderson, KY for example. 

its funny no matter what level high school or middle school or elementary, if Perry Meridian does well there are always people on this site trying to make lite of their achievements. when Perry put all 14 kids in the sectional finals & had 13 champs it was only because its the weakest sectional around. if the Perry Middle wins indivdual State its because they had 30 kids. well i will just say it cracks me up how many haters are out there. Fact is, 30 kids or not, perry won with kids that all go to Perry Meridian Middle School, and out of those 30 kids i would guess mabey a third of them wrestled before they were in middle school. most of those kids have just started over the last couple years. I will add this Perry took those same kids to the dual team state tournament several weeks ago and beat every team they faced to win the team state title there this year as well. So make lite if you wish just remember the facts RWA is an all star team & Mater Dei doesnt even have a middle school. 

I was under the impression that ONLY wrestlers that placed would be scored for the team trophy. That is how the rules read, and when it was announced to turn in a roster for potential wrestlers to score.  Trackwrestling kept track of every wrestler that scored points.  So instead of only 5 wrestlers scoring points for Perry Meridian, every kid that won a match earned some type of points. I'm not taking anything away from PM, but I the way it was stated on how it would be scored didn't hold true. The top 4 Middle School teams were PM, MD, Yorktown, and Bellmont. It may stay in that order, but their may be a chance that MD should have gotten that trophy if it was scored the way the rules read.

I was under the impression that ONLY wrestlers that placed would be scored for the team trophy. That is how the rules read, and when it was announced to turn in a roster for potential wrestlers to score.  Trackwrestling kept track of every wrestler that scored points.  So instead of only 5 wrestlers scoring points for Perry Meridian, every kid that won a match earned some type of points. I'm not taking anything away from PM, but I the way it was stated on how it would be scored didn't hold true. The top 4 Middle School teams were PM, MD, Yorktown, and Bellmont. It may stay in that order, but their may be a chance that MD should have gotten that trophy if it was scored the way the rules read.

In that case we did turn our roster in for all Avon School district boys which included all of our placers. 1st Mason Miranda (28 points), 2nd Drew Williamson (24 points), 2nd Gunnar Larson (22 points), 2nd Trey Lane (20 points), 5th Nathan Conley (19 points), and 7th Jacob Clark (15 points). For a total 128 points. That should be close to tops..... right? But who cares! It was a good day. Proud of all the boys.

Perry should get the nod just for getting 30 kids there. That's what it all about growing our sport! God knows we need to do it (here in the USA) after yesterday!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.