Stalling

Walter Sobchak

Wow lots of anger towards officials. I was a middle school, junior high, high school, aau,some college wrestler. I have been a coach. My kids wrestle in JR. high,high school, aau and college. So wrestling in in my blood. I used to yell at refs, I have not begun to hold my tongue more as I have taked the test and class. It changed me from knowing all the rules which I thought to knowing a partial of the rules. I would welcome the loudest most knowledgeable person to come join isha and become an official we need more people who know it all. Its easy to ref from stands where thousand fans are not ready to stone you. "let the first one with out sin, cast the first stone.: Kurt DeLong

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Calling (and using stalling) is an art form.  There are many instances it should be called as soon as you recognize it and many instances it is obvious and should be ignored:

1) if someone is protecting a slim lead = call it

2) if it is 8-0 and the guy with 0 isn't pushing the issue = why get yourself involved...

3) first period 0-0 and nobody seems to care, or waiting for the right moment = call it both ways

In any case, I hope that most officials ask themselves two questions before every call they make:  1) What else would I expect him to do in this situation (block off the whistle in this situation)?  2) What does this have to do with putting points of the board?  In this case for 5 mins and 59 secs he was the better wrestler.  Why would I tie it if the other kid couldn't score 1 point in 5 mins and 59 secs?

The good refs know that they either understand how to call stalling or they don't.  If they get it, they call it.  If they aren't comfortable calling it then they should take that call out of their tool box.

Some of you have touched on a much greater problem that you may not even be aware of yet.  The system for how officials are chosen to work the state level has changed dramatically this year.  In the past, coaches rated officials, period.  If coaches rated as one of the best you got a date to the big dance.  Now, coaches votes are only half.  There is only one other criteria on the list that refs can't control, number years experience.  What has happened already and you haven't even realized it is that the young refs are done for the season.  You will see a trend over the next few weeks.  Subsequently you are going to see refs in tough situations they have never been in before this new rating system put them there.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.