Stalling

Walter Sobchak

OK this is more for Refs than anyone else. 

At the sectional I attended I saw Stalling called very inconsistent.  To back up my claim, I kept notes:

Total stalling calls I saw:  18

of those:  3 were double stalling in first period

Just FYI, snap downs, slide-bys, motion and hand fight are offensive techniques.  It DOESN'T have to be a leg attack to be offense. 

9 were called against guy with lead on his feet.  Again, it doesn't have to be a leg attack to be offense.

2 were called against guy who was behind once the guy was on top.  (And was actually working a power half)

The other the guy was on bottom and he was doing nothing.    It was pretty obvious, actually an 8 year old could've called it. 

The other four were on guys on bottom who were behind.  I would say three were legit the other I just think the kid was getting the crap kicked out of with legs and was flexible enough not to get turned. 

I did witness one  match were a kid was behind 0-1 chose neutral and proceeded to backup the entire period, was shot out of bounds at least four times and never once was he called.  Luckily the guy with lead was never called either so it didn't make a difference. 

I just want to throw it out there that just because a guy has a lead doesn't automatically make him vulernable for stalling, a good sprawl is not stalling, and there is plenty of offense in wrestling that does not require a leg attack.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the sectional I attended I saw Stalling called very inconsistent.  To back up my claim, I kept notes:

Just FYI, snap downs, slide-bys, motion and hand fight are offensive techniques.  It DOESN'T have to be a leg attack to be offense. 

9 were called against guy with lead on his feet.  Again, it doesn't have to be a leg attack to be offense.

2 were called against guy who was behind once the guy was on top.  (And was actually working a power half)

The other the guy was on bottom and he was doing nothing.    It was pretty obvious, actually an 8 year old could've called it. 

The other four were on guys on bottom who were behind.  I would say three were legit the other I just think the kid was getting the crap kicked out of with legs and was flexible enough not to get turned. 

I did witness one  match were a kid was behind 0-1 chose neutral and proceeded to backup the entire period, was shot out of bounds at least four times and never once was he called.  Luckily the guy with lead was never called either so it didn't make a difference. 

I just want to throw it out there that just because a guy has a lead doesn't automatically make him vulernable for stalling, a good sprawl is not stalling, and there is plenty of offense in wrestling that does not require a leg attack.

Stalling is way to inconsistent, and probably not called enough.  It always needs to be something officials associations should put as a point of emphasis and focus on the consistency in each situation.

The stalling call that irks me the most and I saw  5 times this weekend is  when the top wrestler puts legs in, and the bottom guy is fighting to keep flat from getting turned.    They always call the bottom guy for stalling.  I've seen so many guys put legs just to ride and not try to turn, but they never call stalling on the leg rider.

Consistency is what bugs me about stalling, and I don't even mean consistency between refs. I saw a ref at the WC sectional that seemed to go between using stalling calls to motivate wrestlers to allowing guys to stall out a period at a time.

These calls are mainly subjective to the ref involved, so you never know what might happen. To avoid being on the wrong end of one of these calls is don't put yourself into that position...

Couldn't agree more if my own mother had said it!

And it seems to be the guy that is in the lead that gets dinged for the stalling.  A leg rider that is behind is working for the fall, the same leg rider is ahead and is now just hanging on.  A guy on bottom that is ahead and is getting worked over is avoiding wrestling, but if he is behind then it becomes ok? 

It is the one area that officials need some education on and need to stop thinking they should be noticed.  Am I wrong?

And it seems to be the guy that is in the lead that gets dinged for the stalling.  A leg rider that is behind is working for the fall, the same leg rider is ahead and is now just hanging on.  A guy on bottom that is ahead and is getting worked over is avoiding wrestling, but if he is behind then it becomes ok? 

It is the one area that officials need some education on and need to stop thinking they should be noticed.  Am I wrong?

Amen Brother!

walter you seemed to hit the nail on the head. I have been around wrestling for almost 20 yrs and never seen so many matches decided by the referees and the desire to be noticed or  be different..........Sad let the kids decide the match not the refs that is the true sign of poor officiating

Jimtown 138 I agree with you also after watching the SAC tournament and seeing one ref call a zillion stalling penalties with no consistency( he couldnt get thru 1 period without consulting with the scorers table about what the heck he was calling) I registered to take the test to become a licensed official

sorry to all the good refs out there we appreciate your hard work and dedication. This was only sent out to those select few who need to make tons of calls so everyone knows how smart they are and how they see things no one else sees. Let the kids decide the match stalling is part of the sport unfortunately but it is fairly easy to see by all of us who have wrestled and even by some who havent  

Is faking an injury time, every seriously looked at, or considered stalling? I witnessed this all day long by one team at a sectional last Saturday, and it was very frustrating how it was accepted.  These kids looked to be in as good condition as other wrestlers from other teams, but after about 2 hours myself and several other parents could pretty much put a clock on the fact that after period 1 and 2 there was an apparent injury that miraculously healed itself with 20-30 seconds of rest.  And Note, none, I repeat none were blood time.  I realize that both wrestlers get a blow when this happens, but if this is accepted on a regular basis, I thinks it's a travesty.

I saw one where a guy was standing dead center of the mat and the other wrestler was just circling him on the edge of the center circle. And the ref threw up the double stalling call. the definition of not stalling is to try as hard as possible to fight to say in the center circle and wrestle

I have to be honest I thought the refs at lafayette Jeff sectional did an ok job this past weekend!  You are right the calls in question were the stalling calls.  One situation was top guy with legs in while bottom guy just grabs his hands and flattens out, while top guy gets called for stalling.

Is faking an injury time, every seriously looked at, or considered stalling? I witnessed this all day long by one team at a sectional last Saturday, and it was very frustrating how it was accepted.  These kids looked to be in as good condition as other wrestlers from other teams, but after about 2 hours myself and several other parents could pretty much put a clock on the fact that after period 1 and 2 there was an apparent injury that miraculously healed itself with 20-30 seconds of rest.  And Note, none, I repeat none were blood time.  I realize that both wrestlers get a blow when this happens, but if this is accepted on a regular basis, I thinks it's a travesty.

Be preparted I have seen this on the college level regularly. I raised my son with integrity. It happens, some will do what ever it takes to win. I would rather loose with intgirty than win by being a cheat.

Some refs just don't know the difference between a stalemate and stalling. That is where you see a lot of frustrating and inconsistent calls especially on the mat. What I have noticed this year more than in past years are refs simply being out of position to make the correct calls. Good referees seem to anticipate the action much better and are in position to see and make the correct calls.

Guru I think you have to it 100% right there are certain refs that dont get in good position or just use the stalling call so they dont have to get in good position . This all could be avoided by talking to the wrestlers to keep action or to call a stalemate but instead they are lazy and just call stalling. This is ruining so many good matches I have seen this year and is happening more than ever ...... Lazy refs RETIRE!!!!!!!!!

Talking to the wrestlers is coaching not officiating, when a wrestler has the legs in and is doing nothing with a power half, you would stalemate it once or twice. Then if he goes back to it again and it doesn't work, it is seen as stalling for going back the same move repeatedly.

A coach coaches and the referee offiiciates, and the fan writes on here about what they think they saw.

The official isn't to tell the wrestlers what to do or how, his tools are his wrist bands and signaling stalling or stale mate. Take the test and get on the mat and see how easy it is.

Stalling is a great call as long as it is called on the other wrestler, if the official allows a wrestler to lay on the mat while winning by one point, as his opponent is trying to turn him. And doesn't call stalling on the bottom man, because he dosen't want to decide the out come of the match, just did decide the out come by allowing it to happen.

Or letting a wrestler work the edge of the mat using it as his saftey net to bail if he gets in trouble is fleeing, to avoid being scored on.

Lets watch paint dry. a 1-0 match with both wrestlers in a collar tie for two minutes, or just ride the hips on top for two more minutes, then let the bottom man make love to the mat for another 2 minutes. Sorry now I feel better.

Be preparted I have seen this on the college level regularly. I raised my son with integrity. It happens, some will do what ever it takes to win. I would rather loose with intgirty than win by being a cheat.

Really?  The college rules call for wrestlers to be penalized for taking injury time.  As a result, it seems be a less common practice.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.