4 mats

Bart Simpson

I was wondering do any sectionals run 4 mats?  I was at south Dearborn last night and did not get out of there till 6:45pm. It was a really long day. One of the officials said that it was possible for them to run 4 mats. Just wondering if any other sectionals run 4 mats.

How in the heck did sectionals that ran 4 mat get finished by 1:30 or 2:00?  Twin Lakes ran 4 mats and took a 20 min lunch break and didn't finish till 6:30.  They did take a while to spot light championship round introductions which I think is pretty special for the kids, but still don't see how it is possible to finish before 4 or 5 oclock.  I bet they ran consolation and championship rounds at the same time but that wouldn't save that much time.  Was a long day.

How in the heck did sectionals that ran 4 mat get finished by 1:30 or 2:00?  Twin Lakes ran 4 mats and took a 20 min lunch break and didn't finish till 6:30.  They did take a while to spot light championship round introductions which I think is pretty special for the kids, but still don't see how it is possible to finish before 4 or 5 oclock.  I bet they ran consolation and championship rounds at the same time but that wouldn't save that much time.  Was a long day.

Running the championship match separately adds about 2 hours to the tournament by the time you get everyone lined up and introduced and wrestle. Taking breaks between rounds adds up. 10 minute breaks become 20 minutes. 20 minute breaks become 30 minutes. Holding weight classes at the semi's adds even more time.  A small lunch break is needed for the referees and the table help, but no more than 20 or 30 minutes. I was at Lafayette Jeff and it's true the finals started about 1:30. We ran 4 mats and there was little or no down time. It was as well ran a Sectional as I have ever been a part of.

Mooresville ran 4 mats.  Only dropped to two mats for the last round of consolations (setting up who would wrestle for 3rd and who would wrestle for 5th) which allowed the table help and stripes to grab a bite to eat.  Then ran matches for 1st, 3rd and 5th concurrently.  Finished before 4pm.  Very well ran.

Peru started at 9:00 on 3 mats, 3rd and 5th place done by 1:45, started their finals on one mat at 2:15, out the door by 4:00

This was with only 8 teams and 18 forfeits.  You would need to know number of wrestlers at other sites to compare times.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.