Impressive freshmen this year?

I would have to say I have been impressed by Blake Rypel of Cathedral.  He is 1 of only 2 Freshman ranked from 138-HWT.  He has had a great season so far and I think he might be able to place at state this year setting up a possible 4 time placer.

I also think Hughes at 120# is having a great Freshman season and will be right there fighting for that top spot on the podium at Bankers Life.

I have to agree with da rat...Streck (Merrillville) is a beast. It's very rare to find the type of freshman athlete who can strongly compete (sometimes dominate) playing on the interior of the defensive line in football, and then turn around and potentially earn a place on the podium in Indy as a heavyweight wrestler. He's really earned the early hype he was given with a preseason ranking this year.

With that said, any freshman who sticks the #1 ranked kid in the state deserves a nod.

I have to agree with da rat...Streck (Merrillville) is a beast. It's very rare to find the type of freshman athlete who can strongly compete (sometimes dominate) playing on the interior of the defensive line in football, and then turn around and potentially earn a place on the podium in Indy as a heavyweight wrestler. He's really earned the early hype he was given with a preseason ranking this year.

With that said, any freshman who sticks the #1 ranked kid in the state deserves a nod.

Dare was one a few years ago = Dexter Larimore

Dare was one a few years ago = Dexter Larimore

You read my mind, Ratman! Oddly enough - and I bet few people remember this - Dexter wrestled 215 his freshman year. Not that it takes anything away from Larimore's career, but he did not make it to state as a freshman. I think if Streck is able to do that at heavyweight his freshman year, he could be on an even brighter path!

Obviously, he would have to go on to perform at the elite level Dexter did for the next three years, but I'd say he's on the right track! Very impressive kid.

You read my mind, Ratman! Oddly enough - and I bet few people remember this - Dexter wrestled 215 his freshman year. Not that it takes anything away from Larimore's career, but he did not make it to state as a freshman. I think if Streck is able to do that at heavyweight his freshman year, he could be on an even brighter path!

Obviously, he would have to go on to perform at the elite level Dexter did for the next three years, but I'd say he's on the right track! Very impressive kid.

He reminds me a lot of Dexter, just a little bit shorter.  Once Streck hits the weightroom and changes some of the baby fat to muscle, I think he has a great chance to equal or best the accomplishments of Dexter, which is a big compliment to the young man.  He's got great strength for a freshman and is a good mat wrestler, I'm a fan. 

Rat is HWT any good at the Merr. Semi State this year? New Castle Hwt is absolutely loaded this year there.

I know you were asking 'da Rat, but I thought this was a great question to comment on.

I don't see any of the Merrillville SS HWT's placing top 4 in the state this year, but it should be an extremely competitive day regarding who comes out on top of all these guys. I think there are 5 who could potentially win this semi-state. Even some possibly underrated guys like Harlow (Chesterton) and Klingberg (Crown Point) could pull-off some huge upsets.

Sorry this post strayed from the topic!

Rat is HWT any good at the Merr. Semi State this year? New Castle Hwt is absolutely loaded this year there.

Not to be off subject but at Evansville we have the potential at HWT to see 10 returners from last years Semi-State (5 being ticker rounders and 2 being state qualifiers) plus add in 2 other state ranked kids that didn't advance past regional last year.  At Semi-State no round is a walk in the park, but I would say that will be a draw where their isn't a easy road regardless of your regional placement.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.