106??? stacked Weight

ontherise219

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tough to see anyone really taking it to CJ Red.  I think its really wide open after that.

Lee, Garza, Smith and Kennedy are all real tough.  If anyone of those guys get hot they can all make a nice run.  I think they are all real close in skill.   

I hear Hudkins is tough as well.  I haven't seen him wrestle and it doensn't look like he has wrestled any notables.  Might be somone to look out for. 

Watching sinko at al smith I think he has a shot at red. Sinko had a good tournament beating both lee and garza, and just looked so clean. Red the favorite but if sinko wrestles like he has been all year... I wouldnt be surprised.

Is 106 the most stacked Weight? It has 7 undefeated Wrestlers plus a returning 3rd placer and 2 SQ's one who took Nathan Boston to OT friday night. Who is going to Come out on Top?

I think Lee gets on a roll and wins it. There are some great young kids & some good experienced guys, but I think there are at least 6 deeper weights. The word 'stacked' depends on what your definition of stacked is:

a) The outstanding number of guys and credentials that year (Last year was deeper with more buzz due to the likes of Micic, Cash, Boston, Lee or the 2009 or 2010 brackets)

or

B) Being that 106 Lbs is a starter weight for younger kids to grow from, stacked is something we don't realize until a few years later and the wrestlers matriculate to other weights and/or tournament success over their careers.

I think this year is more of the later (B) to be determined. But to compare to previous 103/106

weight classes it will have a long way in catching up to the 2008-2009 103 Weight Class in

initial buzz and long term success. Heck, even future state champs like Brooks and Paul Petrov

did not make it to state that year.

2008-2009  103 lb Weight Class

 Total Career State Championships = 11 in 5 weight classes

 Guys in weight who were future state champions = 6

 Total State Finals Under Lights  = 16 - All 9 Wrestled in Finals

 Eight Undefeated Seasons

Alphabetically 2008-2009 - 103 lbs Weight Class and Career records

Kyle Ayersman – Lake Central Place (3rd, 1st, 1st, 1st) Finals-3 , Placed- 4

Todd Batt - South Adams  - Place (SQDNP - 103, SQDNP – 125, 2nd - 132) Finals – 1 , Placed 1

Jarred Brooks - Warsaw Place (DNQ-SS-6th, 5th - 103, 2nd - 112, 1st - 113) Finals – 2 Placed - 3

Brendan Campbell – New Castle Place (DNQ-Inj*, 3rd-112, 2nd-119, 2nd-120) Finals – 2 Placed - 3

Brian Harvey Ind Cathedral -  Place (6th - 103, 6th - 112, 5th  - 130, 1st - 160) Finals – 1 Placed - 3

Jared McKinley - Perry Meridian Place (SQ-103, 4th-112, 1st-126, 1st-132)  Finals - 2 Placed - 3

Paul Petrov - Hanover Central Place (DNQ-SS, 2nd-103,  4th-112, 1st – 120)  Finals – 2 Placed - 3

Cody Phillips Union County  - Place (1st - 103, 1st - 103, 3rd - 112, SQDNP - 126) Finals – 2 Placed - 3

Mason Todd  - Pendleton Heights Place (SQ, 5th, 1st, 3rd)       Finals – 1 Placed - 3

I think Lee gets on a roll and wins it. There are some great young kids & some good experienced guys, but I think there are at least 6 deeper weights. The word 'stacked' depends on what your definition of stacked is:

a) The outstanding number of guys and credentials that year (Last year was deeper with more buzz due to the likes of Micic, Cash, Boston, Lee or the 2009 or 2010 brackets)

or

B) Being that 106 Lbs is a starter weight for younger kids to grow from, stacked is something we don't realize until a few years later and the wrestlers matriculate to other weights and/or tournament success over their careers.

I think this year is more of the later (B) to be determined. But to compare to previous 103/106

weight classes it will have a long way in catching up to the 2008-2009 103 Weight Class in

initial buzz and long term success. Heck, even future state champs like Brooks and Paul Petrov

did not make it to state that year.

2008-2009  103 lb Weight Class

 Total Career State Championships = 11 in 5 weight classes

 Guys in weight who were future state champions = 6

 Total State Finals Under Lights  = 16 - All 9 Wrestled in Finals

 Eight Undefeated Seasons

Todd Batt - South Adams  - Place (SQDNP - 103, SQDNP – 125, 2nd - 132) Finals – 1 , Placed 1

Jarred Brooks - Warsaw Place (DNQ-SS-6th, 5th - 103, 2nd - 112, 1st - 113) Finals – 2 Placed - 3

Brendan Campbell – New Castle Place (DNQ-Inj*, 3rd-112, 2nd-119, 2nd-120) Finals – 2 Placed - 3

Brian Harvey Ind Cathedral -  Place (6th - 103, 6th - 112, 5th  - 130, 1st - 160) Finals – 1 Placed - 3

Jared McKinley - Perry Meridian Place (SQ-103, 4th-112, 1st-126, 1st-132)  Finals - 2 Placed - 3

Paul Petrov - Hanover Central Place (DNQ-SS, 2nd-103,  4th-112, 1st – 120)  Finals – 2 Placed - 3

Cody Phillips Union County  - Place (1st - 103, 1st - 103, 3rd - 112, SQDNP - 126) Finals – 2 Placed - 3

Mason Todd  - Pendleton Heights Place (SQ, 5th, 1st, 3rd)       Finals – 1 Placed - 3

Dude, you got too much time on your hands.

Yep that is a stacked class.  WOW.

Yep that is a stacked class.  WOW.

Since I just saw Petrov's name it reminded of his his state finals last year.  He had one of the best displays I have seen in my 20 years of going to the State finals.

no way anybody can beat indiana at 106. It's just two deep and talented, and with a ton of uncharacteristically great freshmen.

I agree. Illinois freshman Rudy Yates was the Pre Season USA Wrestling National Champion finishing ahead of 2-3 kids ranked in the top 5 Nationally. He finished behind Red and Lee at Super 32/ 106 personally I might give him the edge right now on the IN guys, but I'd hate to have to live on the differance. JMO. But as far as depth goes I might have to agree that this year IN is deeper than IL. this year at 106. Again JMO....

I like the way Lee wrestles and he clearly represented Indiana well at Super 32, but I have a hard time identifying ways that he beats Sinkovic after what I saw at Mishawaka.  Sinkovic's length and scramble ability gave Lee fits in that match-up.  I've never seen Red wrestle, but from all of the 106 lb wrestlers I've seen, I like Sinkovic the most and would put my money on him at this moment.   

no way anybody can beat indiana at 106. It's just two deep and talented, and with a ton of uncharacteristically great freshmen.

Just to play devils advocate.    Ohio has four 106 lbs in the top 20 and Indiana doesn't have anybody ranked.

Also, just because 7 guys are undefeated doesn't mean that its tougher than another weight class.  All it means is there's an unusually high amount of better guys that haven't wrestled each other.  For example, what if the 2-7 ranked guys at  the 145 weight class wrestled the #1 guy.  You only have one undefeated werestler out of the top 7.  Does that mean its not as tough as 106.

Just to play devils advocate.    Ohio has four 106 lbs in the top 20 and Indiana doesn't have anybody ranked.

Also, just because 7 guys are undefeated doesn't mean that its tougher than another weight class.   All it means is there's an unusually high amount of better guys that haven't wrestled each other.  For example, what if the 2-7 ranked guys at  the 145 weight class wrestled the #1 guy.   You only have one undefeated werestler out of the top 7.  Does that mean its not as tough as 106.

Did chad red move out of state? Because he is ranked in the nation. Also lee was ranked for the first half of the season. Sinko beat lee. I would say indiana is pretty solid. Not 4 ranked nationally but still.

Also, just because 7 guys are undefeated doesn't mean that its tougher than another weight class.   All it means is there's an unusually high amount of better guys that haven't wrestled each other.  For example, what if the 2-7 ranked guys at  the 145 weight class wrestled the #1 guy.   You only have one undefeated werestler out of the top 7.  Does that mean its not as tough as 106.

A bunch of them did square off at the Bellmont Super Dual.  Don't just look at the undefeated guys, there are a few Indiana state ranked 106 pounders that also have some national exposure that have a couple losses on their resume.  I'm not going to get into Indiana versus other state's 106 pounders (I know it's important to you to see how we stack versus our neighbors  ;)).  As far as this state is concerned, there will be some kids that make it to the podium at 106 that come into state with more than one loss on their records.  I know 120 is tough but, for my money, there isn't a tougher weight class than 106 this year. And yes, I'm biased.

Gonna be a very tough weight. As of now and yes I mean only now, its is CJ Red's weight to lose.

That being said, I see Sinkovics, Lee, or Smith being the ones who would derail Red. All of you guys on here want to go with the typical "freshman 106 phenom gonna win it all" pick but these other guys at this weight have more State experience and I would not be the least bit surprised if he were to not win it.

What has changed since Super 32? Why does Yates now have the edge?  Any bias creeping in here, given the RWA/Alex Tsirtsis private lessons connection?

Fair question.  I try not to be bias but it is difficult. The rankings are interesting at this point. Silva(IL) is ranked ahead of Yates by intermat(Silva #8, Red #7, Yates #12) yet Yates is ranked higher by IL. rankings. CJ did have a match this year against the now #1 ranked Soriano from NJ, but since Nov. Yates has faced more highly ranked IL opponents(6 including a 14-4 w over intermat #17 Jabari Moody/IL) in relation to the IN guys. But the lack of common opponents does make an objective choise a difficult one. Fun stuff though.....

in responce to ILUV2PIN- I'm not to sure "state experience" is going to be a factor in this one. I would be willing to bet that CJ has more high level matches at the national level over the past 4-5 years than just about any of the other 106 guys. He's not gonna get the lights in his eyes at state. I'd bet on that. That being said though I do think there are 3-5 wrestlers at 106# that are very capable of winning it this year. Again JMO....

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.