the deepest weight???

ontherise219

I'm sorry your son didn't eat his veggies? Lol. When you look at 220 the top 10 are linebackers, defensive ends, and running backs.  I don't care how "athletic" a 106 pounder is Gelen Robinson still is a better athlete. Also what I'm trying to say is that strength plays a larger role in heavier weights because some gifted wrestlers get out muscled.

Why?  Because they are bigger?  The true test of an athlete should be how he or she can handle their own weight.  Wrestling is the best sport in the world because you can constantly test yourself against those that are your equal in size.  In reality though the only thing that matters is: are better than you were a day ago?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly, you dont have to be a great athlete to be a great wrestler. So to brag about athleticism for heavier wrestlers really doesnt mean much, imo. Ill take a hard nosed kid that is willing to get good at his craft rather than just rely on strength and ahleticism (which is what most heavies do) any day. Now, when you have a kid thats athletic and works at actually becoming a wrestler (again, something most heavies dont so), then you have a superstar and most of those superstars are in the light and middle weights. Yes, Sliga is the guy who's an athlete and a wrestler. Give me another.

I'm sorry your son didn't eat his veggies? Lol. When you look at 220 the top 10 are linebackers, defensive ends, and running backs.  I don't care how "athletic" a 106 pounder is Gelen Robinson still is a better athlete. Also what I'm trying to say is that strength plays a larger role in heavier weights because some gifted wrestlers get out muscled.

another totally incorrect statement....weight does not make one person a better athlete than another....you are still talking out of your A $ $ which apparently is where your brain is located.......

This just shows how much you don't know about the light weights.  3 pounds to a 103 pounder is huge.   We used to have a 98lbs weight class but that got moved up.  The greatest thing about this sport is it if for everyone no matter your size and they are taking that away from the little guys.

We're on the same side of this issue, I weighed 87 pounds as a freshman and always wrestled in the lighter weights, so I understand how important a pound is for the little guys.  I always respected the 103 lb weight class and didn't agree with the increase to 106 (doubt that it had a significant effect on forfeits, which according to some were the biggest travesty wrestling has ever had to endure   ::))  However, I think the fact that there's one fewer weight class between 30 and 45, where there are arguably a greater number of skilled wrestlers than there are in any other weight range, and another class in the heavier weights, where there are far fewer skilled and dedicated wrestlers, is much more detrimental to the sport.  Sometimes you have to make some concessions to the 103 haters to get them to even consider your argument.

And I think it goes without saying that the overall quality of wrestling at 103/106 is head and shoulders better than the quality of wrestling at 220/285.

We're on the same side of this issue, I weighed 87 pounds as a freshman and always wrestled in the lighter weights, so I understand how important a pound is for the little guys.  I always respected the 103 lb weight class and didn't agree with the increase to 106 (doubt that it had a significant effect on forfeits, which according to some were the biggest travesty wrestling has ever had to endure   ::))  However, I think the fact that there's one fewer weight class between 30 and 45, where there are arguably a greater number of skilled wrestlers than there are in any other weight range, and another class in the heavier weights, where there are far fewer skilled and dedicated wrestlers, is much more detrimental to the sport.  Sometimes you have to make some concessions to the 103 haters to get them to even consider your argument.

And I think it goes without saying that the overall quality of wrestling at 103/106 is head and shoulders better than the quality of wrestling at 220/285.

I DISAGREE there are a lot of great wrstlers from 82 to hwt. look at Masengale and Hurford Gelen Robinson Max Hernandez. all strong athletic wrestlers that's how wrestling got started. thousands of years ago the lighter kuds are quicker and more scrapppy but that's it the talent is no better. Atwood was a beast athlete wrestler.

Fair enough.  Sorry my chest always puffs out when they pick on the little guys.  :)

If you are trying to say that your kid is a better athlete than Gelen Robinson you are just dreaming. If you disagree you should just wrestle him yourself. I understand how wrestling works, and I also understand that some 220's (like Braxton Eby or Jaylin Allen) are better at "wrestling" than some 126's (like Fleener who tried to throw a headlock at the Al Smith Final). I know how wrestling works and perhaps this is the only sport YOU can participate in but don't be butthurt that other people have natural skills with it. Some kids couldn't make a weight class in ISWA.

I'm sorry your son didn't eat his veggies? Lol.

This is the classic insult from the guys that really believe actual wrestling takes place place above 182 (i forgot, Sliga, my bad). They attack your kids. Well, my guess is 106 pounders are eating more "veggies" than their heavier counterparts and will, sad to say, live longer lives because they wont be overweight in their old age.

In all weight classes there are studs and turds, 106 carries the same quantity as any of the middle weights.  If you look at an average mid to late season bracket and the kids in it you will notice that at around 182 and up there are more turds than the lower classes and the true athletes in these higher weights shine.  But at 106 there is a substantially greater perponderance of  studs than in 285.

If you are trying to say that your kid is a better athlete than Gelen Robinson you are just dreaming. If you disagree you should just wrestle him yourself. I understand how wrestling works, and I also understand that some 220's (like Braxton Eby or Jaylin Allen) are better at "wrestling" than some 126's (like Fleener who tried to throw a headlock at the Al Smith Final). I know how wrestling works and perhaps this is the only sport YOU can participate in but don't be butthurt that other people have natural skills with it. Some kids couldn't make a weight class in ISWA.

as usual with this guy, another ignorant post.....

The bigger guys may in fact be better athletes or at least you can make a solid arguement that they are. The one constant in wrestling however is that the kid who puts in more time, effort and dedication will be the winner regardless of who is the better athlete. Do not misunderstand me. Being the better athlete can go a long way; however, hardwork will always overcome pure athletic ability. That fact in itself is part of what makes wrestling a better sport than football, basketball and baseball.

The bigger guys may in fact be better athletes or at least you can make a solid arguement that they are. The one constant in wrestling however is that the kid who puts in more time, effort and dedication will be the winner regardless of who is the better athlete. Do not misunderstand me. Being the better athlete can go a long way; however, hardwork will always overcome pure athletic ability. That fact in itself is part of what makes wrestling a better sport than football, basketball and baseball.

Exactly. It all started with a derrogatory comment against heavier kids. Just don't say anything negative and you won't get these posts.

Any one that has been around Austin for yrs knows he doesn't score alot of points, but controls the match. His position is very good, and he is very hard to score on. It only takes 1 point to win a match. It will be fun, anything can happen on any given day, but when u dont give up points, its kinda hard to get beat. I dont believe there is a lock in any weight class, well maybe sliga.....but anyone can be beat on any day.....but you have to score points to win ;D

My point to this whole thing was that McCloskey is not a lock at 160.  The bad thing about wrestling his style is

the other guy is always in the match.  If you are the better wrestler.  You should do more than just play defense.

Besides that, I find a 20-10 match much more fun to watch. "Win the Mob and you win you freedom."

"Are you not Entertained!"

you and benni who who must be living on some other planet.....there is no way you can make a blanket statement that size makes you a better athlete.....

you and benni who who must be living on some other planet.....there is no way you can make a blanket statement that size makes you a better athlete.....

Give up. These guys know that big guys are rarely on the same level as mid to light weight wrestlers when it comes to actual wrestling ability, so they make themselves feel better by telling all of us that big guys are better athletes. As ive stated before, who cares? Wrestlers trump athletes most of the time so just take comfort in that knowledge and let them have their "athlete" argument.

My point to this whole thing was that McCloskey is not a lock at 160.  The bad thing about wrestling his style is

the other guy is always in the match.  If you are the better wrestler.  You should do more than just play defense.

Besides that, I find a 20-10 match much more fun to watch. "Win the Mob and you win you freedom."

"Are you not Entertained!"

Ok ;D

Anyone that doesn't realize that the skill sets needed to be successful are different as you move from 106lbs to 285lbs.  Comparing what it takes for a 106lber to be successful vs what it takes for a heavyweight to be successful is comparing apples to oranges.  Just because a bigger guy doesn't know 1001 moves doesn't mean he is any less skilled.

Anyone that doesn't realize that the skill sets needed to be successful are different as you move from 106lbs to 285lbs.  Comparing what it takes for a 106lber to be successful vs what it takes for a heavyweight to be successful is comparing apples to oranges.  Just because a bigger guy doesn't know 1001 moves doesn't mean he is any less skilled.

Joe you got lucky with one slide by against me and you still can't let that go.

I will give you that the heavier weight guys are better football players.  So if your only guage for athlitcism is fooball. You are 100% correct.

But what about all the other sports.  How about Track, Cross country, Tennis, Soccer.  Not to mention all the nontradition sports.

Mountain Biking, Wakeboarding, Snowboarding.  I would like to see a heavy weight try jump wake to wake behind the boat this summer.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.