Lake County Wrestling Championships

HCCOACH

Saturday, January 5, 2013

Hanover Central High School.

Cedar Lake, Indiana

Seeding

This meet will be seeded at Hanover Central High School on Wednesday, January 2, 2013 at 6:00 p.m.

Enter the Athletic Center doors and go to the Athletic Hospitality Room for seeding.

Seeding Information

Please fax, (219) 374-4417, your entry list, with seeding information, by January 2rd 12:00 p.m. (CENTRAL) to the attention

of Jeff Brooks. You may also email your list to jbrooks@hanover.k12.in.us. If attending the seed meeting, please bring

your scorebook. BE PROMPT. Teams with no representative at the seed meeting will be seeded by the info on their

submitted entry list. No entry list means NO ENTRY from that school/team.

Looks like a few semi state ranked guys and some good match ups:

2. Eric Peek Griffith  11

8. Isaac Cortez Hanover Central 10

1. Stevan Micic Hanover Central 11

6. Matt Lechowicz Lake Central 12

7. Ryan Brown River Forest 12

8. Nate Reitz Griffith 11

(Possible Harvest Classic rematch)

8. Tony Vaquez Hobart 12

7. Jake Sebehar Lake Central 11

8. Preston Nelson Griffith

2. Damian Gomez Bishop Noll 12

3. Mark Maldonado Highland 12

2. Scott Spoko Hobart 10

3. Tyler Scott Hanover Central 11

4. Tony Rodriguez Hobart 12

8. Noah Fowler Calumet 11

1. Gelen Robinson Lake Central 11

5. Roberto Yanez River Forest 11

6. Josh Bartoszek Hanover Central

8. Gerald Velenzula Hobart 12

Along with some other guys that will be trying to make a name for themselves and crack the semi-state rankings or have been there and trying to get back.

I will be very interested in seeing the potential rematch at 182 of Tyler Scott and Tony Rodriguez. I'll be pullin for the brickies but I've always had respect for the hardwork Hanover Central and their coaching staff put in to preparing their kids for big matches. Good luck to two tough kids.

Rodriguez looked much better at Mishawaka than he did at the Harvest. He's clearly worked himself into better wrestling shape and looks more fluid on the mat.  I've not seen Scott since the Harvest, but he handled Tony easily in that early season match-up.  From a fan's point of view, I hope the match is a lot closer.  Good luck to all this weekend.

Sports Fan, I know that match ended 4-2 and I remember it being a late takedown that decided it. It seemed pretty close to me. I would imagine with these coaching staffs in place that both wrestlers will have made large gains since then and will provide one of the more exciting and competitve matches at Lake County this weekend.

You're probably right on the score, I don't remember the match that well, but I distinctly remember leaving the tournament far more impressed with the progress of Scott than I was with that of Rodriguez.  I've seen Tony since then, last week in fact and he looked pretty good and had some nice scrambles in the 3rd place match at the Al Smith.  On a side note, I wish CP, Merrillville and Lowell were making the trip this weekend.  I understand why those teams opt out, but it would be nice to get all the schools there one of these years.

I could not agree more. I would love to see Lowell, CP and Merrillville at this tourney. That would set up a lot of great match-ups between DAC and NCC kids that you dont see a lot of before the state tournament series.

If DAC/NCC matchups are your thing, come see Crown Point, Portage, and Lowell battle it out on Saturday at CP.

I also agree with sportsfangms.  It would be great for the region to have CP MVille and Lowell.  I understand that they may out class much of the competition, but it would really make this weekend a premier tournament. 

I agree as a whole that those three teams would dominate the competition but the other schools already presently attending have enough stud wrestlers to have some really exciting individual match-ups that you may otherwise not see. Just a couple weights to look at from this year.

2. Eric Peek Griffith  11

3. Mike Garza Merrillville 11 SQ@106

5. Riley Akers Crown Point 10

8. Isaac Cortez Hanover Central 10

1. Drew Hughes Lowell 9

2. Adam Garcia Merrillville 12 4th@120 SQ@119

6. Matt Lechowicz Lake Central 12  

7. Ruben Rodriguez Hammond Morton 11

8. Brett Ervin Crown Point 12

1. Kenny Hughes Lowell 11 SQ

2. Damian Gomez Bishop Noll 12 SQ

3. Mark Maldonado Highland 12

4. Matt Hollins Merrillville 11

5. Dax Jones Crown Point 10

I would just like to say that I witnessed a tremendous effort by the Hanover Central Community, especially the volunteers, to run another excellent tournament.  Its been a while since i have seen that many involved and dedicated parents and fans.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.