Mater Dei PREVIEW!!! 64 Ranked ind. and 8 Ranked teams!

navy80

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only my 2nd Classic in person, have followed for as long as Avon has been coming down '04 maybe, this was very exciting and competive tournment. Folks at MD run a great event, the additions of NP and Belleville made this top notch. Belleville impressed me all weekend on and off the mat. We sat next to them and they were very well behaved and having lots of fun which you don't see sometimes at wrestling events and they had some very good talent there some a little raw. Strange to see MD so young lots frosh and soph. Frankin as always looked tough. Chad has NP looking real good. Hope Tommy is ok. Congrats to UC on the win and to all the indiv. champs. Dylan and Jonah way to go keep up the good work.

First time someone has beaten Mater Dei at their own tournament. Few people saw that small town kentucky team coming in and doing that but I did see a few. Some of the Mater Dei fans were embarrassing in their actions. Probably one of the best tournaments I have seen in a long time. New Pal and Belleville are great additions. Cash looked hurt at the end, hope he is ok. Kid has a bright future ahead of him. The Mater Dei 160 looked impressive, as well as both 106 finalists. The Kennedy vs Dezember final was a nail biter, Kennedy needs to learn to wrestle to win instead of wrestle to not lose. Bryant, the trinity heavy was weighing around 220 and wrestling up. Mater Dei heavy had a crazy sudden victory match in the semis with the New Pal heavy. Franklin Communities guys all look like they take a weightlifting class for a couple hours a day, most were jacked. Brock Ervin won his 4th mater Dei classic, going for his 5th next year. Overall, great tournament.

zero MD fans overlooked "that small town kentucky team".  union county brings in a very tough team every year.  starting seven freshmen and sophomores and forfeiting a weight class proved to be too much for MD to overcome.  personally, i have a high regard for union county's program.  we also wrestle them on a middle school level.  their kids are nail-tough; their coaches knowledgable and passionate.  it is not a  surprise to MD fans that they are successful.

I forgot to mention the hi-light of the day T cash dancing gangdumb or whatever it's called style to the delight of all.

Come to Mooresville.  We get the entire Jennigs County squad doing that dance and the Cupid Shuffle after that. 

For the first time in 29 years Mater Dei lost their own tournament! 

Mater Dei had a slim chance to still win it with their HWT in the finals but he would have had to pin Bryant. 

Congrats UC, I hope they win state in KY.

I thought some of the earlier posts from the Franklin and New Pal supporters may have fueled the UC fire. Comments like Ky wrastlin ain't on par with us big timers up north. Well guess what they are now and we knew it down here.

UC lost to Trinity in a dual and lost to Ev Memorial at the Harrison ten way.  I think that is why not many people saw UC winning Mater Dei.

I thought some of the earlier posts from the Franklin and New Pal supporters may have fueled the UC fire. Comments like Ky wrastlin ain't on par with us big timers up north. Well guess what they are now and we knew it down here.

Don't know what Franklin "supporters" you are referencing . . .

In one of the other threads, "maligned" stated that KY wrestling isn't as deep as Indiana's. My guess is that they meant that, for example, the #10 team in IN, or the #!0 individual in IN, would be better than their corresponding numbers in KY. If that is the comment to which you are referring, it was made by someone who is not a Franklin "supporter", nor do I think he/she is a New Pal supporter. Regardless, it won't be disproved by one tournament victory.

Franklin has gone to Mater Dei for years, and is very familiar with the quality of wrestlers from Union County, Trinity and St. X.

I think your comment sells the Union County kids short, because I don't think they need a comment off a message board to make them wrestle harder. They've always wrestled pretty hard as it is . . .

I agree with the rest that the addition of New Pal and West Belleville, IL added to the quality of wrestling significantly and made an already great tournament even better.

Congratulations to Union County for their well-deserved win.

UC lost to Trinity in a dual and lost to Ev Memorial at the Harrison ten way.  I think that is why not many people saw UC winning Mater Dei.

Yeah, I'm curious about the enormous turnaround.  Did UC have individuals out in the dual against Memorial, or did Memorial have guys out at Mater Dei?  UC placed 10 guys higher than Memorial at the MD tournament, while Memorial had literally only 1 guy place higher than UC.  How in the world did Memorial win a dual against UC?

Yeah, I'm curious about the enormous turnaround.  Did UC have individuals out in the dual against Memorial, or did Memorial have guys out at Mater Dei?  UC placed 10 guys higher than Memorial at the MD tournament, while Memorial had literally only 1 guy place higher than UC.  How in the world did Memorial win a dual against UC?

I Know UC was missing Blackwell at the Harrison 10 Way and the lineup was probably different.  I also know Memorial was missing some starters at MD.  UC is a much better tournament team than Memorial with the elite kids that they have.  Memorial is a good dual meet team with decent kids in all weight classes.  UC wrestled extremely well at MD and Memorial wrestled extremely well at Harrison.  It happens.  Congrats to UC on a great tournament.

I Know UC was missing Blackwell at the Harrison 10 Way and the lineup was probably different.  I also know Memorial was missing some starters at MD.  UC is a much better tournament team than Memorial with the elite kids that they have.  Memorial is a good dual meet team with decent kids in all weight classes.   UC wrestled extremely well at MD and Memorial wrestled extremely well at Harrison.  It happens.  Congrats to UC on a great tournament.

Memorial was missing Wedding, Williams and Brown at the MD classic.

I know I saw a lot of camera and camera phones out and recording when Tommy was dancing.  Being mom, I was too confused as to why my child was dancing in the middle of the wrestling mat, to think about recording it.  But I guess I should never be supprised at anything Tommy does. If anyone could be so kind as to email me the video, I would much appriciate it. cashmom2x@gmail.com

I know I saw a lot of camera and camera phones out and recording when Tommy was dancing.  Being mom, I was too confused as to why my child was dancing in the middle of the wrestling mat, to think about recording it.  But I guess I should never be supprised at anything Tommy does. If anyone could be so kind as to email me the video, I would much appriciate it. cashmom2x@gmail.com

It looked like the ones recording were from new pal.  And is tommy okay?  Looked like his legs buckled during his finals match and had to be helped when he was walking after the match.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.