Mater Dei PREVIEW!!! 64 Ranked ind. and 8 Ranked teams!

navy80

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely one of the most competitive in recent years.  Keep the finals results coming (couldn't make it down due to mother nature hating indiana)!

106- Red 6-4 over DJ SMith

113-Kennedy 8-7 over Dezember

120-Blackwell 4-3 over Cash

126- Ervin pin over Heidorff

132- Lykins 4-1 over Pierre

138 Spraggins inj default win

Two weights left with Union County up by 4.5 on Franklin and 5.5 on EMD. 

Franklin going for 1st and 5th (slight underdog and big underdog).  EMD going for 1st (slight underdog).  UC going for 3rd (toss-up).

Final team scores:

1. (KY #2) Union County 203.5

2. Franklin Community  199.0

3. Evansville Mater Dei 198.0

4. (IL #16) Belleville West  156.5

5. New Palestine 155.0

6. (KY #5) St Xavier 144.0

7. Floyd Central 139.0

8. Avon 107.5

9. (KY #11) Trinity  104.5

10. Evansville Memorial 64.5

11. Mt Vernon 45.0

12. New Albany  35.0

12. North Posey 35.0

14. Sullivan 21.0

15. Vincenness Lincoln 19.5

16. Tell City 4.0

106 Red is slick, although DJ had Red on his back in the last few seconds that made for an exciting match.

113 I am surprised Kennedy only won by 1 pt.  Dezember went unseeded and got 2nd.  Nearly winning it all against Kennedy.

Lehman Mater Dei had a huge tourney.  Beat Wilkerson, McCarty, and Rassbach and losta very controversial match to Dezember.

120  Cash got beat by the defending KY state champ, which he made a match of in the last seconds.

Duncan Trinity has a bright future for a frosh, he maj MDEI 14-4 en route to a 3rd place finish.

126 Ervin is a beast! Jourdan Mater Dei was impressive, he TF Jamison and lost 17-13 to a tough Trinity kid. 

138 Spraggins and Carr would place one and two in Indiana. Wagner looked tough.

145 Lampe state champ from KY had a good match with Ellsea, who kept it close. Ellsea is tough

152 (loaded weight class) Higgins is a beast.  He was in on several deep shots and controlled the match.  Stevenson thought he had a take down, which he never got awarded.

160 Parkinson just controlled the match, Kriech (who I picked to win) did not do much. Parkinson beat the #2 ranked kid in KY in the semi finals 5-2

170 Unseeded kid from Belleville wins it! Beat Elmore, Fentz, and Scheinder along the way. 

182 Wagner looked impressive and nearly picked off Zoringer.  How is Zoringer not ranked? Wagner put it on Petrole!  Bassemier got 6th!  That surprised me

195 Brownfield franklin quietly won his weight

220 Jones wins in OT with literally 1 second left!  Jones and Tolley will be at state!

285 Bryant defending champ from KY dominated Little 15-4 and beat Mdei Wright 3-0. 

With the addition of Belleville and New Pal this tournament was loaded with talent.  Belleville was a lot better than most expected. 

First time someone has beaten Mater Dei at their own tournament. Few people saw that small town kentucky team coming in and doing that but I did see a few. Some of the Mater Dei fans were embarrassing in their actions. Probably one of the best tournaments I have seen in a long time. New Pal and Belleville are great additions. Cash looked hurt at the end, hope he is ok. Kid has a bright future ahead of him. The Mater Dei 160 looked impressive, as well as both 106 finalists. The Kennedy vs Dezember final was a nail biter, Kennedy needs to learn to wrestle to win instead of wrestle to not lose. Bryant, the trinity heavy was weighing around 220 and wrestling up. Mater Dei heavy had a crazy sudden victory match in the semis with the New Pal heavy. Franklin Communities guys all look like they take a weightlifting class for a couple hours a day, most were jacked. Brock Ervin won his 4th mater Dei classic, going for his 5th next year. Overall, great tournament.

Precaution for a previous shoulder injury. He will face spraggins at the union county duals later in the season. If I had to guess, he wrestled the match against mater Dei today instead of forfeiting and giving up team and advancement points to them.

I thought this was one of the most competitive Holiday Classic's I have seen in recent memory. Great teams, great coaches, great fans! As a long-time Holiday Classic attendee I have to say it was great to have Sullivan back in the mix and the additions of New Pal and Bellville really added to the competition. I also enjoyed the use of Track Wrestling for the Classic this year.

Smith/Red match was a great one, Blackwell impresses again, Ervin makes it look easy (he is so fun to watch, always looks so relaxed and in control), Pierre looked good the whole tourney as did Carr from UC, Parkinson controlled his own destiny and came out a champ - totally dominated his finals match, both Wagner and Zorniger looked good.

@kywrestler - the MD community is well aware of that small Kentucky town and their high caliber wrestling program - we never count them out, this year was no exception. As for Ervin going for his 5th title next year - I hope it happens, it will be a 1st for the Classic and that kid deserves to make Classic history - he never ceases to impress both on and off the mats.

Congrats to Union County on their win today and to Franklin Community for their 2nd place finish - only 5.5 points separated 3rd from 1st - wow- what a great week-end of wrestling! Good luck to all participants in the next few weeks and as they begin the post-season journey - I hope to see some of these names making noise at State!!!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.