Wrestlebacks at Regional & Semistate: Clarification from IHSAA's Mr. Faulkens

Coach Wadkins

Again, some are missing my point here.  First, thanks for all who have been working towards making it a better tournament.  But, I wish this info would have come out prior to us all telling our communities that this was coming and for a group of people to know what was really going on.  Also, we can let this slide on the scoring.  I would hate for Warren to have a bunch of champs and New Pal or vice versa have a heck of a bunch of 5th placers and the team with 5th placers win the Regional due to the extra scoring for the 5th place kid.  We can not let this happen.  Its not fair to anyone involved.  Also, I understand why we dont score from first round of sectionals due to luck of draw on byes and ffts but why would we not score the first round of semi state.  Everyone is in.  NO byes.  How can you have an athletic contest and not score it while you are keeping a team score.  Please help me make sense out of all of this.  Again, I am busy as all get out right now but first things coming to mind.  Need some clarification.

Really no good reason not to score the Semi-State from the start to the finish.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was excited when I heard, what has now proven to be false information, that we would have full wrestlebacks at the Regional and Semi-State.  Now, like many others, I am disappointed that we will not have full wrestlebacks, but I do not see this as a defeat or slap in the face by the IHSAA....I see it as progress towards a goal of having full wrestlebacks in those tournaments.  We are a few matches closer to where we want to be, and as they see that it does not really incerease the length of the tournament to have these matches it will be an easier sell to go the whole way.

I also want to add that I was not on the committee that Jim Wadkins was on, but I think until a person has been ona committee that meets with the IHSAA they should reserve their criticism of those who do because it is an experience like few others.  I will always remember the day, when after a meeting with the IHSAA Commissioner, Bob Harmon (who had just been in his first ever meeting with them) came up to me an told me he was sorry.  I asked him what he was sorry for and he told me that for all of the years that the Officers had come back to the clinics with reports of how bad things were when meeting with the IHSAA he had always felt like we were "full of &%*&", but sicne he had met with them he now realized we were not lying.

I do think things were inproving.  I was meeting with Mr. Cox and Mr. Faulkens this Fall and Mr. Cox asked me what we could do to improve the tournament.  I looked at him and grinned saying that he did not want to hear what I had to say.  He said that he did want to hear my opinion and I told him that at minimum we needed wrestlebacks at Regional and from the quarter-finals at the Semi-State and I gave him my reasons why.  This was the first time ever that I have mentioned wrestlebacks to him that he did not tell me that there was no way that was happening, or tell me why it was not a good idea, or mention time constraints.  He just told me he appreciated my thoughts.

I really think we are close if we stay determined and don't go off the deep end.

Coach Peck,

I agree with the improvements but to just simply go about it for your personal agenda and not really as an improvement for the sport i have to question the intent to why it was brought up in the first place!!!  The sport has needed wrestle backs for years but not for any alternate!!!  It should have been address with the intent to make the state tournament better for everyone involved and i think it still can just not exactly what was done nor why it was done and for that the concern as to why it was ever mentioned if you were told at the beginning to not even bring it up!!!  Now we have the wrestlebacks as brought up for a personal agenda the way it was brought up and for what?  In everyone's opinion a waste of time! 

I also agree with the wrestlebacks in place the way they are it could make it easier to change the format but will we ever have that chance again with the captive audience we had at this meeting when we could have done things right the first time?? 

Just questions i have concerning these decisions that were made by the individual who brought this most needed change to their attention...

Coach Peck,

I agree with the improvements but to just simply go about it for your personal agenda and not really as an improvement for the sport i have to question the intent to why it was brought up in the first place!!!  The sport has needed wrestle backs for years but not for any alternate!!!  It should have been address with the intent to make the state tournament better for everyone involved and i think it still can just not exactly what was done nor why it was done and for that the concern as to why it was ever mentioned if you were told at the beginning to not even bring it up!!!  Now we have the wrestlebacks as brought up for a personal agenda the way it was brought up and for what?  In everyone's opinion a waste of time! 

I also agree with the wrestlebacks in place the way they are it could make it easier to change the format but will we ever have that chance again with the captive audience we had at this meeting when we could have done things right the first time?? 

Just questions i have concerning these decisions that were made by the individual who brought this most needed change to their attention...

So you obviously have a beef w/ a certain coach. Why else keep beating this drum?

First of all, anyone who knows me, knows I have never had anything but the best interest of our sport and Indiana wrestlers in mind when I serve on any committee. I have been involved with the sport, in Indiana, for nearly four decades...and with that being said, I have probably forgotten more about Indiana wrestling than some of the more eloquent posters on here will ever know.

Secondly, I do not need a buddy to stick up for me on here...although I do appreciate the gesture. I'm a big boy with broad shoulders and thick skin. I made my post to clarify that Mr. Faulkens was not a culprit in this matter. He was genuinely trying to help us improve our sport...and what is he getting for it? A public lashing from coaches and fans. 

Thirdly, I am not prone to pursuing personal agendas. I have helped develop the wrestling format for the last four conference alignments my school has been involved in. I was involved in bringing Griffith, Merrillville, Hobart, and now Portage into the Sectional my team competes in...real smart guy, huh? Personal agenda!!! Not quite!! I am the host of one of the State's best tournaments, at which my team has never placed higher than 5th. I served on a proposal committee, a few years back, that suggested wrestlebacks at all levels of the tournament. We convinced the IHSAA to implement them at Sectionals. The IHSAA moves slowly...but this is movement in the right direction...regardless of what all the naysayers and numnutz on here think.

Lastly, I don't have enough hair to be classified as a Wookie, unless you count my back and ears!!

First of all, anyone who knows me, knows I have never had anything but the best interest of our sport and Indiana wrestlers in mind when I serve on any committee. I have been involved with the sport, in Indiana, for nearly four decades...and with that being said, I have probably forgotten more about Indiana wrestling than some of the more eloquent posters on here will ever know.

Secondly, I do not need a buddy to stick up for me on here...although I do appreciate the gesture. I'm a big boy with broad shoulders and thick skin. I made my post to clarify that Mr. Faulkens was not a culprit in this matter. He was genuinely trying to help us improve our sport...and what is he getting for it? A public lashing from coaches and fans. 

Thirdly, I am not prone to pursuing personal agendas. I have helped develop the wrestling format for the last four conference alignments my school has been involved in. I was involved in bringing Griffith, Merrillville, Hobart, and now Portage into the Sectional my team competes in...real smart guy, huh? Personal agenda!!! Not quite!! I am the host of one of the State's best tournaments, at which my team has never placed higher than 5th. I served on a proposal committee, a few years back, that suggested wrestlebacks at all levels of the tournament. We convinced the IHSAA to implement them at Sectionals. The IHSAA moves slowly...but this is movement in the right direction...regardless of what all the naysayers and numnutz on here think.

Lastly, I don't have enough hair to be classified as a Wookie, unless you count my back and ears!!

I think anyone who knows you, or knows of you (in my case) knows that you have the sport's best interest at heart.  Just want to say thanks and urge you to press on even in the face of some idiots who do not know when to hold their tongue.  Also, congrats on the HOF coach.  WAF!

You have my respect.  Still not happy with the IHSAA though.  Thanks and keep up the good fight.

Coach Peck,

Everything this guy posts, I simply scroll right over. Who in the world would have a personal agenda that includes getting the correct person in 5th place at a HS wrestling regional?

Does Calumet have a school goon squad that can effectively search out the 4th place finisher and bust his kneecap so a Calumet guy can move on? lol

Give me a break buddy

I've scrolled through and didn't see this asked. But will the TRUE alternate get a free pass to state?  I know this isn't that big of deal but it would be a decent carrot to dangle when trying to convince a guy to go back out there and wrestle.

I know this would be 56 free tickets but it might also get some more families up there as well. Allow the guy to be down on the floor. If his team has wrestlers in the tourney he could still do the walk of champions and help warm up his teammates!

Just a thought!

While it may not be a perfect situation and it doesn't give us complete wrestle backs, I gotta say, I like it and it is a step in the right direction.  I look at from the perspective that now my 4th place finisher at sectionals has a shot at 2 more matches at regionals and has a chance to score us some team points if he doesn't win his first round match against some stud from the Mishawaka Sectional.  More mat time against very good competition in our regional makes those kids better.  Gives them a chance to hang their hat on a 5th or 6th place at regional.  That may not mean much to you or I, but it will to that kid and it may motivate him to do the extra to better next year.

I understand the concerns on team score and I think they are valid.  I also know I don't post alot and am probably not considered one of the Indiana Wrestling gurus and all knowing geniuses but I've been in wrestling for 25 years and I think this gets us closer to what we want.  Our regionals and semi-states need to show that we can run these extra matches with efficiency and do a first class job.  If we can do that, then we can go back and say to Mr. Faulkens that we can run another 40-45 matches and do full wrestle backs and we can do it efficiently.  Also, we are coaches...it is our job to figure out how to motivate those kids to want to wrestle those alternate matches.

Since this news came out, it has become vital that Rochester run a first class regional.  I think we always have but we now need to be more efficient.  As a coach, I have already started talking to my kids about how much more important it is to be top 4 in our sectional and the added benefits to making it to regional and semi-state.  We can either prove them right or we can prove them wrong...I'm hoping we prove them wrong at the Rochester Regional. 

I agree Coach Gard. Like you, we host a Regional and nothing is more discouraging for a young kid than losing in the opening round and then having to hang around to help roll mats at the end of a long day. This gives every kid there at least two matches and a potential for contributing to the team score. The more we wrestle on those purple mats at Merrillville...the less intimidating they become. If I am gonna be crowded, there might as well be a good reason for it...I think this is reason enough. See you at Mishawaka.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.