IHSAA Regionals-Change in Bracket

Mark Mendoza

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe the logic of determining a more true "team score" based on the individual tournament results (since they removed the team event) is what finally got through to them that wrestlebacks were worth considering.  Obviously, the argument of "it's the fairest/best way to ensure the correct individuals made it through" never seemed to work up until this point.

Of course only merrillville people would bi%ch about wrestlebacks because of their small venue. You guys are truly unbelieveable.

I don't see any posts about Merrillville people bitching about wrestle backs.  I think the entire wrestling community is pretty stoked about it.  All I see are posts about how they are going to pull it off in a timely manner.  Maybe you should read a little more closely.

I don't see any posts about Merrillville people bitching about wrestle backs.  I think the entire wrestling community is pretty stoked about it.  All I see are posts about how they are going to pull it off in a timely manner.  Maybe you should read a little more closely.

Whining about being at merrillville til one in the morning? Maybe you need to read a little more closely.

so i am confused? is it full wrestlebacks?

At regional it would be.

Semi-state would be unlikely to be full because a 16 man bracket with full wrestlebacks to 3rd would create a possibility of a 6th match in a day.  Unlikely, but my team happens to go to a tournament where we have collected "thirth" place ribbons when this happens.  For full-wrestlebacks, a 2nd day would be necessary.

Wrestlebacks from the quarterfinal level (ironically the same level in the tournament that became part of seeding criteria this season...) would allow a wrestler in the top 8 to come back for 3rd.  2 ticket rounds in essence.

Whining about being at merrillville til one in the morning? Maybe you need to read a little more closely.

As I said no bitching about about wrestle backs just how Merrilleville is going to do it in a timely manner.  So again I think you need to read a bit more closely.

What is it exactly that might possibly be causing the mville ss to last til 1 am?

I also don't understand why there would be a delay compared to other semi-states.  It will just be cramped all day instead of only in the first two rounds.  At all 4 sites, the only addition time-wise will be a 1-hour, 4-mat wrestleback session between the semi-finals and finals.

Round 1: 4 mats, appr. 4 hours

Quarterfinals: 4 mats, appr. 2 hours

Semi-finals/Wrestlebacks: 4 mats, appr. 2 hours (same time, just 4 mats instead of 2)

Wrestleback semi's: 4 mats, appr. 1 hour (ONLY ADDED TIME)

Finals: 3 mats (if 5/6 are wrestled) (same time as before, just 3 mats instead of 2)

Below is the email my AD got back today from the IHSAA. In the original email my ad asked would there be wrestle backs at the regional and semi state level.

He is correct. In order to do team champs at those levels we will need to wrestle to 6th place.

Robert E. Faulkens

After seeing all of the discussion about wrestlebacks on here today, I called the IHSAA for a clarification.

I've looked in both the Winter Bulletin & Tournament Handbook and found nothing that describes the

changes being outlined by coaches on here. I just got off the phone with Mr. Faulkens, and he confirmed

that there would in fact be wrestlebacks at both levels this season.

However, he just sent out an e-mail, to the several coaches serving on the committee to review the State Tournament Series. In that e-mail, he attached the brackets that will be used at both the Regional & Semistate Tournaments.

We will have wrestlebacks at both the Regional & Semistate Tournaments this season...BUT...only to determine the 5th Place alternate to the next level. First round losers at Regional will wrestleback to 5th Place, but the Semifinal losers will still wrestle for 3rd Place and both advance to the Semistate. Semistate quarterfinal losers will wrestleback to 5th Place as well, but the four quarterfinal winners are still advancing to the State Finals.

These wrestlebacks are being implemented primarily to assure us of sending along a competitive alternate to the next level of the State Tournament.

That is the dumbest thing ever!  So the go round is still the go round.

What do we call the other rounds. 

1)"I have no idea why I am still wrestling rounds."

2) This sucks rounds!

3) All most but not quite rounds.

4) I wish I could go home now rounds.

Seriously.  This pisses me off more than not doing wrestling backs at all.  Basically they just said we will do this for true alternate but they still don't have a clue that they should have full wrestle backs so that the best wrestler make it to semi-state and state.  Just another way of showing that they don't get our sport or really care about individual athletes.

That is the dumbest thing ever!  So the go round is still the go round.

What do we call the other rounds. 

1)"I have no idea why I am still wrestling rounds."

2) This sucks rounds!

3) All most but not quite rounds.

4) I wish I could go home now rounds.

5) If someone tells me good job for finishing 5th. I am going to puch them in the face, rounds.

6)  At least I don't have to make weight next week, rounds.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.