IHSAA Regionals-Change in Bracket

Mark Mendoza

Other than saying "hey just go out and have some fun in your last season/career matches," I'm not sure what else a coach can really do if the kids not found some random motivation of his own (unless your one of the few team who could win a team title).  Then other than seeing a few fancy moves attempted, I don't see most matches living up to their potential when you compare them to two wrestlers still fighting for a legit advancement spot.

Tell them to go out and wrestled hard for 5th place AND that Jeff Gilooly is a friend of yours and he and a couple of buddies will be working the pipes next week.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coach Wadkins,

Can the several coaches serving on the committee to review the State Tournament Series have any impact giving feedback to Mr. Faulkens?

I just got off the phone with Mr. Faulkens, and he confirmed

that there would in fact be wrestlebacks at both levels this season.

However, he just sent out an e-mail, to the several coaches serving on the committee to review the State Tournament Series. In that e-mail, he attached the brackets that will be used at both the Regional & Semistate Tournaments.

How about at least seeding the second round matchups.  I know all 4 winners of the Regionals deserve

a top 4 seed.  But the fact that we don't seed the next 4 guys and there matchups. Seems to be the

real problem.  If the goal is to get the top 4 guys threw.  Seed the matchup for the second round.

How about at least seeding the second round matchups.  I know all 4 winners of the Regionals deserve

a top 4 seed.  But the fact that we don't seed the next 4 guys and there matchups. Seems to be the

real problem.  If the goal is to get the top 4 guys threw.  Seed the matchup for the second round.

I can confidently say they won't be allowing seeding to be a factor past the sectional draw, until they introduce it to other sports at their sectional level.  Even then it still would be a huge long shot past sectionals for us since the seeding at those levels would be based a lot more on speculation from individuals rather than head to head matches and common opponents.  I'd be more inclined to say we would work towards removing the "luck of the draw" via wrestle-backs than assuming seeding be done without controversy at the upper levels of the tournament.

How would you get a senior, who just had his dreams of going to state dashed, ready for one or two meaningless matches for the off chance someone gets hurt?

These are my sentiments exactly.  This is only cruel in my book.  For the freshman just happy to be at regionals or SS, it's a nice extra.  For the upperclassmen, it's a real crotch shot.

The only kids that will feel compelled to wrestle are the ones that have a team in the race. The others will have nothing to wrestle for. I couldn't imagine trying to wrestle again after knowing my career/season was done and I wasn't going to state. I can't honestly find a reason to get a kid excited to wrestle again for a few team points that might get us to the top 20 in semi-state.

This is what the IHSAA will do.  

1. They will implement these pseudo wrestle-backs

2. They will see coaches/kids/fans making a mockery of these pseudo wrestle-backs

3. They will then say this is why we can't have wrestle-backs

Y2 is dead on the mark here. I can see these wrestlebacks being completely lame, then the IHSAA punishing us by NEVER allowing real, useful wrestlebacks.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.