IHSAA Regionals-Change in Bracket

Mark Mendoza

While sitting with Mark Durham at the Indy City Championships, Comm. Robert Faulkens came over and confirmed that we will have wrestlebacks at the IHSAA Regionals.  Mr. Durham is sending out the exact bracket that we will use.  It is 8 man WB-3rd Place 6 on trackwrestling.com

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So does that make the "ticket round" not as important anymore? Winning first 2 and losing next 2 would mean you don't go to state?

So ticket round still would exist, you would just get a second one in the consoles.  This helps ensure luck of the draw (due to uneven regional talent) doesn't have as much effect on the qualification of some.  

So does that make the "ticket round" not as important anymore? Winning first 2 and losing next 2 would mean you don't go to state?

As Matt said, there are essentially 4 new ticket matches: the two semifinals and the two wrestleback semifinals. 

I've shared the numbers for years: something like 60% of the time at least 1 kid of the theoretical top 4 from a semi-state weight class will be taken out by another from the top 4 without either having lost another match.  This is not right and wrestlebacks from the quarters completely fixes it.

So ticket round still would exist, you would just get a second one in the consoles.  This helps ensure luck of the draw (due to uneven regional talent) doesn't have as much effect on the qualification of some.  

So, how many extra rounds would this create? If this does happen , how much longer would a smaller site like Merrillville have to wrestle on 4 mats keeping the fans cramped in the balcony? It's tolerable  for 2 rounds because you know when they go to 2 mats that you'll be able to stretch out . Could make for a long day . 

So, how many extra rounds would this create? If this does happen , how much longer would a smaller site like Merrillville have to wrestle on 4 mats keeping the fans cramped in the balcony? It's tolerable  for 2 rounds because you know when they go to 2 mats that you'll be able to stretch out . Could make for a long day . 

Most likely there will be 4 mats all the way to the finals. 

Semi-finals would now have 2 matches from each of the winners' and losers' brackets.  Then, there will be an extra wrestle-back semi-final round of 2 matches per weight class (probably also on 4 mats, so that it can be finished in about an hour and only extend the day by this 1 hour).

I know that this will be a real unpopular comment but I think if wrestle backs are in the future for Merrillville Semi state, they need to open up the field house also and have wrestle backs in there so half the participants and their fans can leave the main gym to alleviate the crowding.  Bring the wrestle back winners back to the main gym to finish out the championship rounds on two mats.  I understand that could mean that coaches would have to split up and it would also mean that fans would have to make a choice which to watch, but it would be a great way to get rid of the bitching about being too crowded.  just my thoughts on the matter. 

At New Castle, there is plenty of room, kids sleeping between rounds, parents all stretched out, no crowding at all. 

I hear that the other three semi states don't have the crowding issues and that is great for the fans that go to those semi states.  I personally don't mind the mess at Merrillville, because I usually go with one or two other people and get there early, before doors open, and get a great seat about 6 feet from the mats on ground level.  That is one huge advantage in my opinion that the other three semi states can't offer.  Fans are kept up in arena seating.  Yes I am willing to sacrifice comfort for mat side seating.  But man if you are late for the Merr. semi state, I wish you the best of luck.  You'll need it. 

You can get that close at New Castle, can sit on the 2nd row of bleachers, as the first row has padding on it.  However, if your the low, then you have to watch thru one match, to watch another across the gym, I sit halfway up an can view any match I want with ease, or, get this, can get up an move to watch closer if I so choose.  Then can return to where I was and not worry about losing my seats. 

I know that this will be a real unpopular comment but I think if wrestle backs are in the future for Merrillville Semi state, they need to open up the field house also and have wrestle backs in there so half the participants and their fans can leave the main gym to alleviate the crowding.  Bring the wrestle back winners back to the main gym to finish out the championship rounds on two mats.  I understand that could mean that coaches would have to split up and it would also mean that fans would have to make a choice which to watch, but it would be a great way to get rid of the bitching about being too crowded.  just my thoughts on the matter. 

This same thought came to my mind.  This is a practice that is done at some mid-season tournaments and helps to loosen things up. 

You can get that close at New Castle, can sit on the 2nd row of bleachers, as the first row has padding on it.  However, if your the low, then you have to watch thru one match, to watch another across the gym, I sit halfway up an can view any match I want with ease, or, get this, can get up an move to watch closer if I so choose.  Then can return to where I was and not worry about losing my seats.  

I was told wrong because I was lead to believe that if you weren't a coach or wrestler, you weren't allowed down in that area.

Have sat there to watch specific matches for the last several years, then would move back to original spot to watch over all four mats.  Oh well, have fun being packed in, I'll enjoy the leg and elbow room.  ;D

Have sat there to watch specific matches for the last several years, then would move back to original spot to watch over all four mats.  Oh well, have fun being packed in, I'll enjoy the leg and elbow room.  ;D

Not trying to be mean or snobby but I would rather be cramped at Merrillville then at any of the other three semi states.  I am not from "the region" and I've been to three of the four semi states, and the competitive atmosphere and level of wrestling doesn't compare to Merrillville's.  Rather be cramped than go elsewhere ;D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.